Can someone please rate my minor leaguers - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Can someone please rate my minor leaguers

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Can someone please rate my minor leaguers

Postby sliders51 » Wed Aug 16, 2006 5:29 pm

I don't know when these guys will get called up and what they will contribute to my team...help please!!

Joel Guzman

Jeff Mathis

Carlos Gonzalez

Eric Reed

Adam Miller

Greg Golson (He was just thrown in to a deal I made, I didn't want him and I'm thinking about dropping him unless someone thinks he's good)
sliders51
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dis2233 » Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:02 pm

Carlos Gonzalez should contribute late 07/early 08. Joel Guzman could be the same estimate, but may need to find a new position. Adam Miller could be a september call up this year. Those 3 guys are solid keeper prospects. Don't know much about the others. Since I haven't seen much about them on this site, there's probably better options available to you.
dis2233
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby shortsavage » Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:09 pm

Right now...

* Carlos Gonzalez is in my top 15

* Joel Guzman and Adam Miller are barely in my top 35

* Golson is in my top 75

* Eric Reed and Jeff Mathis don't crack my top 100
Last edited by shortsavage on Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby raiders_umpire » Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:33 pm

Gonzalez is the stud of that group and could be a late 07 callup if not then early 08. Guzman could hit 40 homers, but will have to work on his defense at whatever position the Rays decide to play him at. Miller is a top of the rotation type of starter who was dominant in 04, hurt in 05, but rebounding this year. If he can stay healthy, he should be in Cleveland next year.
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby sliders51 » Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:31 pm

Thanks for the input everyone...I also have Hochevar who I forgot to mention because he is not in the database yet.
sliders51
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby shortsavage » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:35 pm

Hochevar is top 25 to me...so your second best keeper.
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby hybrid » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:43 pm

shortsavage wrote:* Golson is in my top 75

* Eric Reed and Jeff Mathis don't crack my top 100

Golson is in your Top 75? I really don't see how that is possible, especially seeing as you don't have Mathis in your Top 100. Golson has speed, but so far he has proven nothing in the minors. Mathis on the other hand is a nice hitting catcher prospect that has actually proven he can hit in the minors.

Anyways to the original poster, Gonzalez is really the best prospect on your list. I'd expect him up in the next year or two and has all around potential to be very good. Now that Miller is coming back to form he is right behind Gonzalez, those two if stay healthy should help you out in the near future (Miller should be up next year). Guzman and Mathis are also pretty good prospect but both aren't sure things and might take a bit longer to produce at the MLB level. Mathis could probably handle the job next year, but I'm not sure what the Angels plans are w/ Molina/Napoli. Guzman well, he is pretty raw and I think will disapoint at first, but he has very nice potential in the power department.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby shortsavage » Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:45 pm

I don't think catching prospects have near the value in fantasy baseball that they do in major league baseball.

I think a lot of people use prospect lists that are designed for major league baseball in order to value talent for their fantasy leagues. When really, until defense is factored into fantasy baseball, these lists don't serve fantasy owners too well.

Additionally, I think prospect lists overcompensate for position scarcity. Guys like Mathis probably aren't going to make as much of an impact in fantasy baseball as they will for their major league team just because the differences in depth.

So, fantasy owners need to realize that prospect lists like the ones that Baseball America comes out with may be a little misleading when they are relied upon heavily for fantasy baseball.
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby hybrid » Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:40 am

I agree with pretty much everything you said, however you still haven't given a reason to why Golson should be close to a Top 100 prospect.
hybrid
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert

Postby shortsavage » Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:30 am

hybrid wrote:I agree with pretty much everything you said, however you still haven't given a reason to why Golson should be close to a Top 100 prospect.

Greg Golson is still just 20 years old and he's on a tear so far in A+ (856 OPS). I think he saw the light when he got promoted. He's racing for it now.
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Next

Return to Minor League & College Baseball