Yankee $tatium Ground Breaking at 11:34 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Yankee $tatium Ground Breaking at 11:34

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Yankee $tatium Ground Breaking at 11:34

Postby giants! » Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:46 pm

Tavish wrote:
noseeum wrote:
djack909 wrote:turn the time over as it would appear on a digital clock ( 11:34 ) and you will see where I hope they end up.

Looks like the original stadium feels the same way you do:
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/st ... ase/060816

LOL.

The point of the article is exactly why I hate the Yankees getting a new stadium. One less link to baseball's history will be around in 2009. I think in honor of George demolishing one of the most historic venues in sports history I'm going to refuse to call the new stadium anything other than "The House that Melky Cabrera Built".

Yankee stadium has already been rebuilt. It is not the same building that Ruth played in.
giants!
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby noseeum » Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:56 pm

giants! wrote:Yankee stadium has already been rebuilt. It is not the same building that Ruth played in.

It was re-modeled, not re-built.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Matthias » Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:13 pm

Tavish wrote:I'm going to refuse to call the new stadium anything other than "The House that Melky Cabrera Built".

How about, "The House that Revenue Sharing Built"?

http://www.efqreview.com/NewFiles/v21n4 ... egame.html

By spending $750 million on a new stadium, the Yankees would reduce their reported revenue by about $40 million a year; multiply this amount by their 39 percent revenue-sharing "bracket," and you get an annual revenue-sharing break of $15 million. Over time, about $300 million worth of Steinbrenner's new pleasure palace would come straight out of the pockets of the other twenty-nine teams.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby teddy ballgame » Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:20 pm

noseeum wrote:
Tavish wrote:
noseeum wrote:
djack909 wrote:turn the time over as it would appear on a digital clock ( 11:34 ) and you will see where I hope they end up.

Looks like the original stadium feels the same way you do:
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/st ... ase/060816

LOL.

The point of the article is exactly why I hate the Yankees getting a new stadium. One less link to baseball's history will be around in 2009. I think in honor of George demolishing one of the most historic venues in sports history I'm going to refuse to call the new stadium anything other than "The House that Melky Cabrera Built".

Time marches on, man. Yankee stadium has a gorgeous facade, but those old stadiums suck in terms of seats, bathrooms, and vending. Yankee Stadium had it's day, and it will never be forgotten, but there will be plenty of history to be made in the new one. Fans deserve a more comfortable experience. Seats will be closer to the field, which is awesome.

I love it.

I'm with you. I wish our ownership had the stones to tear down Fenway, or at least build a new park. That place is just a horrible facility to watch a game in. Unless you have season tickets, you either have poles in the way, your knees are in your chin, the concourse has no room for people to walk, and the seats are about 2/3 the necessary width. It's been a historic place and all, but after going to places like Camden Yards, SAFECO, and Citizens Bank Park it's obvious a new stadium is necessary. Also, people could actually be able to get tickets if it seated 50,000+. It's nearly impossible to get tickets to the Sox unless you know people.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby converge241 » Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:38 pm

11:34 - ground breaks on new billion dollar yankee stadium
11:35 - 1st yankees a$$hole shows up to be belligerent

:)

just kidding yankees fans

just went to the house that ruth built 2 weeks ago for blue jays @ yankees to see the stadium..didnt want to keep putting off seeing it before it gets torn down..nice to be there and take in all the history

i know 2009 is a ways away but im an old bastard and stuff comes up
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 99)

Postby noseeum » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:36 pm

Matthias wrote:
Tavish wrote:I'm going to refuse to call the new stadium anything other than "The House that Melky Cabrera Built".

How about, "The House that Revenue Sharing Built"?

By spending $750 million on a new stadium, the Yankees would reduce their reported revenue by about $40 million a year; multiply this amount by their 39 percent revenue-sharing "bracket," and you get an annual revenue-sharing break of $15 million. Over time, about $300 million worth of Steinbrenner's new pleasure palace would come straight out of the pockets of the other twenty-nine teams.

Isn't that more like "keeping it in your own pocket" rather than "straight out of the pockets of the other twenty-nine teams?"

That article is more of the same crying for these terrible old stadiums. I agree, Fenway should be bulldozed tomorrow. I love that it's small, and it's got history, but the seats stink, there are poles in the way everywhere, you have to have your head turned towards home plate for 4 hours while your body faces center field, and so on and so forth.

Take a picture of Fendway and Yankee stadium, and put it in the hall of fame, and let us yearn for the nostalgia of splinters in our asses while we sit in the nice cushy new chairs, perfectly angled towards home plate, thank you very much.

I'm glad to see the Yanks not building another "old style" stadium, though. Enough of those around. Make it unique.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby mbuser » Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:02 pm

at least they didn't put the shaft to taxpayers and force almost the entire cost on them like they did in pittsburgh with PNC -- i guess the gov't is picking up about $200M of the bill, which includes the 'infrastructure improvements'
mbuser
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic
(Past Year: 23)
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby Matthias » Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:15 am

noseeum wrote:
Matthias wrote:How about, "The House that Revenue Sharing Built"?

Isn't that more like "keeping it in your own pocket" rather than "straight out of the pockets of the other twenty-nine teams?"

Well, it depends on your frame of reference, I guess. In Steinbrenner's eyes it may be back to him keeping his money in his own pocket as he did years ago. But from the perspective of the other teams who reached an agreement based upon certain conditions, I believe they would look upon it less favorably. In any case, I think it's inescapable to say that the new stadium would not have occurred but for this exception to revenue sharing.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby noseeum » Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:40 am

Matthias wrote:
noseeum wrote:
Matthias wrote:How about, "The House that Revenue Sharing Built"?

Well, it depends on your frame of reference, I guess. In Steinbrenner's eyes it may be back to him keeping his money in his own pocket as he did years ago. But from the perspective of the other teams who reached an agreement based upon certain conditions, I believe they would look upon it less favorably. In any case, I think it's inescapable to say that the new stadium would not have occurred but for this exception to revenue sharing.

I agree with you on that, but what I mean is MLB is happy with that. If new stadiums are an unintended consequence of the deal, than Selig is jumping for joy in his office, not crying poverty for the poor Royals not getting an extra $2 million a season. He's overjoyed that there's an incentive for teams to build new stadiums. It's good for baseball's financial health.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers