Delmon might be called up today! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Delmon might be called up today!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby The Loveable Losers » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:22 am

scr wrote:
The Loveable Losers wrote:
Matthias wrote:
The Loveable Losers wrote:As I've stated I've read absolutely no articles about Young so my opinion hasn't been tainted by the media. His misbehavior on the field is all that I have to go on

Well, being minimally informed isn't much better than being misinformed to defend scr's viewpoint. Out of Delmon Young's life, you've seen maybe 2 minutes of it (as have most of us). He may be completely and utterly immature. He may be a generally stable guy who is prone to angry fits. But basing your judgment on the sample size you have isn't really fair. At least unless you admit the real possibility that you (and all of us) just don't know.

Neither one is appropriate at the major league level. And neither one would be accepted at a 'real world' job either. Try throwing a burrito at the health inspector while working at Taco Bell and see how long you keep your job. ;)

Fits of anger or overall immaturity...it just doesn't matter. Those two minutes of his life show a pattern of behavior that needs to change before he can be successful in life in general - let alone in a major league career.

Again, I am at a loss......

Young flipped his bat underhanded, at the direction of the umpire. You make it sound by your characterization that he threw the bat like a javelin with intent to injure the ump. This is not true, it is unfair, and just adds to the misconception perpetuated and fostered by the media. Should he have done it? No. Obviously. No.

There have been, I am sure, over the course of major league history, literally thousands of players who have ripped off their helmets in anger at an ump and threw them on the ground. Those helmets could have bounced the wrong way, and someone could have gotten hurt. You don't see anyone on here ripping the hundreds of major league players who have done that. No one crucifying the AAA manager who threw a bunch of bats in the direction of the umpire. What's up with that guys' maturity.

It's a double standard.

And the guy paid his due. It's over, but you can't let it go.

In my example, you throw the burrito at the health inspector and you're not going to get suspended - you're going to get fired. Many business (basically any with a termination at will clause) and you're going to find yourself looking for work. It wouldn't matter if you didn't mean to hit the person. I've seen the video...while you can't determine intent you certainly can determine that bat wasn't just tossed to the ground. Even in a vacuum that would probably get you fired. With the previous bad acts...start looking at the want ads.

I'm not saying Delmon Young shouldn't be called up because he needs to be punished more or that he hasn't 'paid his dues'. I'm not even saying he shouldn't be called up - I don't know enough to answer that question and honestly neither do you. All I'm saying is that given his pattern of behavior it would not surprise me if the 19 year old Delmon Young simply isn't mature enough yet to be ready for the major leagues and in keeping him down the FO is actually looking out for Young's best interests. That may or may not be the case but it's a possibility to keep in mind when looking at this situation.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby scr » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:57 am

We will never know who is ready and who is not for the major leagues, maturity wise, until they are actually up here. That's it in a nutshell.

My posts are generally a rebuttal against those that take what someone else says or writes-like the hundreds of articles written by mean spirited journalists-and base posts on these opinions, which by and large, are not facts, but taken out of context fictions masking as journalism.

LL, you are in the minority when you at least leave open the possibility that this kid may not be such a terrible person, as you correctly point out you just don't know.
scr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Loveable Losers » Fri Aug 18, 2006 10:03 am

scr wrote:We will never know who is ready and who is not for the major leagues, maturity wise, until they are actually up here. That's it in a nutshell.

My posts are generally a rebuttal against those that take what someone else says or writes-like the hundreds of articles written by mean spirited journalists-and base posts on these opinions, which by and large, are not facts, but taken out of context fictions masking as journalism.

LL, you are in the minority when you at least leave open the possibility that this kid may not be such a terrible person, as you correctly point out you just don't know.

You're right in one thing...all we can say for certain based solely of what's happened on the field is that Young has anger management issues. Anything else is purely speculation if people are trying to extrapolate further. I still think that I'd be hesitant to promote a guy that's having issues like that while he's so young...there's still time for him to turn things around.

Now, that said I don't know what the clubhouse atmosphere is like in Durham. It's certainly possible that being around a guy like Crawford would be better for Young's development (as a person and as a ball player) than being in Durham. All I'm saying is that when you're talking about a kid that's that young and that's having issues there's a lot more to think about than whether he deserves the promotion based on his play. In fact, his raw talent makes it all the more important that they don't screw up his development as a person.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby scr » Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:37 pm

Just when I thought we were turning a corner.

It is absolutely not certain that Young has anger management issues. These anger management issues you bring up are in large part due to the negative exposure this kid has received time and again.

Unless you know this person(Young) on a personal, day to day basis, you are not qualified (neither am I) to be absolute in your contention that Young has anger management issues.

Again, there have been many, many ballplayers who have argued with umpires, kicked and thrown items from the dugout, thrown their helmets, etc., etc.

But you won't get on this board and say those players have anger management issues.

Why?

Because it is a double standard limited only to Delmon Young. Again I say this is unfair in it's entirety, as no one here is qualified to say such a thing.
scr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Loveable Losers » Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:07 pm

scr wrote:Again, there have been many, many ballplayers who have argued with umpires, kicked and thrown items from the dugout, thrown their helmets, etc., etc.

I'll definitely go on board as saying players that repeatedly argue with umpires, kick and throw items from the dugout and throw their helmets have anger management issues. They're doing those things in anger, those things aren't appropriate which means they're having trouble managing their anger. If they were able to manage their anger they wouldn't be doing those things.

'Anger management issues' isn't some disease that a person has or does not have. It's something you display through your actions. Young's actions have shown an inability to manage his anger which is why I'm saying he has anger management issues. So does Lou Pinella for that matter...probably worse issues than Delmon Young to be honest. Sweet Lou just hasn't hit anyone with his moon shots of the bases yet. The difference here is that Lou Pinella isn't going to change and while his actions are inappropriate he's got tenure in the league and can get away with it. It doesn't make it right...it's just the way things work. He also isn't going to change unless he becomes a bit calmer in his time away from the game.

Young on the other hand is only 20 years old. He has the chance to grow up and get a handle on his emotions. Again, I don't know what the best way to allow him to accomplish that would be...it might be at the majors with solid role models around him, it may be in Durham or it may not be something that can happen at all. But the team would be making a huge mistake if they didn't take that goal into account when making their decisions about Delmon Young's future.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby scr » Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:34 pm

I'm inclined to think that after all the crap this kid has been thru, the last thing he would do is throw another bat.....

I of course could be wrong-it's been known to happen, but I think he has paid a much higher price for his conduct than is the norm for players his age.

that said, who really knows.
scr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TonyCee » Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:43 pm

I agree with you LL, word. ;-D
TonyCee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Loveable Losers » Fri Aug 18, 2006 1:51 pm

scr wrote:I'm inclined to think that after all the crap this kid has been thru, the last thing he would do is throw another bat.....

I of course could be wrong-it's been known to happen, but I think he has paid a much higher price for his conduct than is the norm for players his age.

that said, who really knows.

Yeah, if a 50 game suspension doesn't get his attention then he really may be on the way to having the emotional control of Lou Pinella. ;) One would hope that he takes the hint and keeps his nose clean both on the field (where he's had trouble) and off the field (where I haven't heard of any problems).
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers