Delmon might be called up today! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Delmon might be called up today!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby wrveres » Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:08 pm

another solid piece fromBodley on this subject.

Selig says revenue sharing has just about reached the stage where no owner can blame baseball's financial inequities for not being competitive.

"We're getting close," says Selig of the system which has the richest teams sharing local revenue with the poorest franchises. "I want the clubs to see who sent the money and where it went. Every nickel. We are providing money that has leveled the field. We will not tolerate people (teams) not spending that money."

Case in point: Eleven of the 15 bottom teams in 2005 increased their payrolls this season.

Selig says the revenue-sharing fund this year will be $323 million.

Baseball industry revenue have grown from $1.2 billion in 1992 to a projected $5.2 billion this year.

Franchise values have also skyrocketed, with the Ted Lerner family recently paying Major League Baseball $450 million for the Washington Nationals.

Average salary this year is $2.85 million, with a minimum of $327,000. Over 400 players are earning $1 million or more.

One thing is certain: Baseball is knee deep in money — more than enough to keep both players and owners happy.

And quickly get a new labor agreement.

thanks for sharing noseeum
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 720)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby scr » Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:16 pm

It is so extremely frustrating to read poster's opinion on a person who they never met. Every single opinion on this board is based on something someone said, like a reporter, or something someone read.

Not one single person who slams Young on this board has said so based on first-hand, personal knowledge. It's based on biased reporting.

If you say something over and over again, read something time and time again, it takes on a life of it's own.

My point is that NOBODY knows if Delmon is a bad guy, if Delmon is immature. You can tell by his minor league stats that from a baseball level at least, the kid appears to be ready. But NOBODY knows if he is mature or not-EVERYBODY BASES THEIR OPINION ON MEDIA ACCOUNTS (TV/Print).

Did anyone stop to think that maybe, just maybe, the authors of these articles are embellishing their stories to sell papers, or that the authors of these stories are just plain mean people??????

Until I know firsthand about this kid, I won't be posting things like the kid's immature, or the kid is a bad person. I won't-it's not fair, nor is it responsible. And again-Shame on the Tampa media.
scr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby winterball22 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:24 pm

Have you not seen the video of his bat tossing and last years events. That's not an opinion, it's live video. Weak argument.
Nobody is making stuff up, he's doing stupid things.
Is this Dimitri writing these post? Are you his brother or something?
winterball22
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby scr » Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:58 pm

winterball22 wrote:Have you not seen the video of his bat tossing and last years events. That's not an opinion, it's live video. Weak argument.
Nobody is making stuff up, he's doing stupid things.
Is this Dimitri writing these post? Are you his brother or something?

You are making my point for me. The video represents a singular event, not "things"-plural. I've seen the video at least ten times. Not one time was I able to see the player. I saw an umpire and a bat flipped into the shot, striking the umpire at the shoulder.

Nobody saw Delmon tossing anything. You could not have-he was not in the picture. What you saw was a bat that was flipped underhanded. Nobody ever said it was an intelligent act. What I will say is that many, many minor league and major league players lose their cool and nothing is ever said. Nobody writes article after article excoriating a person over and over like the media has done to this kid.

And then folks get on here and, based on the horrible, horible words these reporters have used to describe this kid, folks repeat it. Over and over again, repeating nothing more than the media's scorn for this kid.

The manager that pulled his nutty in the minor league game in the summer was just laughed at. The guy threw bats himself-could have hurt someone- could have been real bad. Nobody got on here saying the guy was a bad guy. Most people just laughed.

The media didn't harp on it like they can't let go of this bat thing. My take is, because-specifically because I do not know this kid-is that he's a person, probably a nice person (don't know that for sure, but he gets the benefit of the doubt until I know firsthand) who did something that wasn't so smart.

Lest we forget he was tarred, feathered, crucified and suspended. He paid his due. It should be over, but people won't let it go.

As for me, I won't kick someone when they are down. It's not what a decent person should be doing. It's not what Jesus would do, but it would be something the media loves to do. It's nothing short of bullying.

Obviously, I'm not taking the popular way out. I'd rather defend someone from media induced hate than go along for the ride-Delmon or anyone else.
scr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby houstonoilers » Thu Aug 17, 2006 8:13 pm

[/quote]Lest we forget he was tarred, feathered, crucified and suspended. He paid his due. It should be over, but people won't let it go.[/quote]

I agree. Young has done his time.....if management says things like "other more desrving players" then enough said for me,,,,,bad management. The problem is I would be falling into the media conspricy against the management now.

I think management should come out and SIMPLY say "Young wont be up until 07" and let this topic of frustration end once and for all.
houstonoilers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Loveable Losers » Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:14 pm

scr wrote:It is so extremely frustrating to read poster's opinion on a person who they never met. Every single opinion on this board is based on something someone said, like a reporter, or something someone read.

Not one single person who slams Young on this board has said so based on first-hand, personal knowledge. It's based on biased reporting.

If you say something over and over again, read something time and time again, it takes on a life of it's own.

My point is that NOBODY knows if Delmon is a bad guy, if Delmon is immature. You can tell by his minor league stats that from a baseball level at least, the kid appears to be ready. But NOBODY knows if he is mature or not-EVERYBODY BASES THEIR OPINION ON MEDIA ACCOUNTS (TV/Print).

Did anyone stop to think that maybe, just maybe, the authors of these articles are embellishing their stories to sell papers, or that the authors of these stories are just plain mean people??????

Until I know firsthand about this kid, I won't be posting things like the kid's immature, or the kid is a bad person. I won't-it's not fair, nor is it responsible. And again-Shame on the Tampa media.

It's not just the bat throwing event. It's a running list of on-field infractions by a guy that hasn't even been playing professionally that long. As I've stated I've read absolutely no articles about Young so my opinion hasn't been tainted by the media. His misbehavior on the field is all that I have to go on and he's provided enough evidence to this point to tell me that he's still extremely immature. Can that change? Sure...he's a young guy still. I'll admit that I wasn't the picture of maturity at his age either. But he needs to grow up and quick if he wants to have a successful major league career.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby Matthias » Thu Aug 17, 2006 10:21 pm

The Loveable Losers wrote:As I've stated I've read absolutely no articles about Young so my opinion hasn't been tainted by the media. His misbehavior on the field is all that I have to go on

Well, being minimally informed isn't much better than being misinformed to defend scr's viewpoint. Out of Delmon Young's life, you've seen maybe 2 minutes of it (as have most of us). He may be completely and utterly immature. He may be a generally stable guy who is prone to angry fits. But basing your judgment on the sample size you have isn't really fair. At least unless you admit the real possibility that you (and all of us) just don't know.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby scr » Fri Aug 18, 2006 6:52 am

From the team's website:

Callups draw near: Major League rosters expand from 25 to 40 on Sept. 1, but Maddon wasn't considering promoting 15 players.

"Six would be good," he said, adding that the number would probably be between six and 10. "It's going to be based on a lot of other people's recommendations."

Maddon said the majority of the callups would be reserved for pitchers and a third catcher, but someone else hard to ignore is Delmon Young, a 19-year-old outfielder at Triple-A Durham. Young has had a few brushes with the organization in his short time in the Rays' system, criticizing the decision-making of officials on more than one occasion. Still, he's hitting a team-high .323 (96-for-297) with 19 doubles, four triples, seven home runs, 53 RBIs and 22 stolen bases, making him a hot topic when it comes to late-season promotions.

"We're still talking about it, [but] I'd love to see him up," Maddon said of Young. "There's no doubt he's going to be a great Major League player. He's a very young [man] with tremendous ability.

"We just want to make sure that everybody understands the right way of doing things, contributes to the group and wants to be part of the group."

Your guess is as good as mine. The siuation looks like a no-win. Leaving Young down will make the club look inept from a baseball standpoint (and rightfully so). Bringing him up will feed the beast of the media hate for Young.

This is the result of playing TO the media and not standing up to them when they have gone too far. Now the ballclub is in a self-created pickle.[/i]
scr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Loveable Losers » Fri Aug 18, 2006 7:49 am

Matthias wrote:
The Loveable Losers wrote:As I've stated I've read absolutely no articles about Young so my opinion hasn't been tainted by the media. His misbehavior on the field is all that I have to go on

Well, being minimally informed isn't much better than being misinformed to defend scr's viewpoint. Out of Delmon Young's life, you've seen maybe 2 minutes of it (as have most of us). He may be completely and utterly immature. He may be a generally stable guy who is prone to angry fits. But basing your judgment on the sample size you have isn't really fair. At least unless you admit the real possibility that you (and all of us) just don't know.

Neither one is appropriate at the major league level. And neither one would be accepted at a 'real world' job either. Try throwing a burrito at the health inspector while working at Taco Bell and see how long you keep your job. ;)

Fits of anger or overall immaturity...it just doesn't matter. Those two minutes of his life show a pattern of behavior that needs to change before he can be successful in life in general - let alone in a major league career.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby scr » Fri Aug 18, 2006 9:12 am

The Loveable Losers wrote:
Matthias wrote:

Neither one is appropriate at the major league level. And neither one would be accepted at a 'real world' job either. Try throwing a burrito at the health inspector while working at Taco Bell and see how long you keep your job. ;)

Fits of anger or overall immaturity...it just doesn't matter. Those two minutes of his life show a pattern of behavior that needs to change before he can be successful in life in general - let alone in a major league career.

Again, I am at a loss......

Young flipped his bat underhanded, at the direction of the umpire. You make it sound by your characterization that he threw the bat like a javelin with intent to injure the ump. This is not true, it is unfair, and just adds to the misconception perpetuated and fostered by the media. Should he have done it? No. Obviously. No.

There have been, I am sure, over the course of major league history, literally thousands of players who have ripped off their helmets in anger at an ump and threw them on the ground. Those helmets could have bounced the wrong way, and someone could have gotten hurt. You don't see anyone on here ripping the hundreds of major league players who have done that. No one crucifying the AAA manager who threw a bunch of bats in the direction of the umpire. What's up with that guys' maturity.

It's a double standard.

And the guy paid his due. It's over, but you can't let it go.
scr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers