Delmon might be called up today! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Delmon might be called up today!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby dyuen87 » Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:20 pm

:-b

TB front office say they have more deserving players. They deserve to have their team taken away from them.
dyuen87
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby d18Mike » Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:33 pm

He's an adult. If they don't like his attitude just trade him. You are not going to change the nature of a pampered/primadonna athlete by not letting him play. You'll just breed animosity and reduce the value of your investment. It's stupidity on stilts.
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Pedantic » Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:38 pm

Prooks25 wrote:
noseeum wrote:
Prooks25 wrote:He's not getting called up, Tampa refuses to call him up. They had the GM on local Tampa radio before and he said they have more "deserving" players in the minors who would be called up. And they dont even think Delmon will be called up in September.

Tampa should really just trade Delmon now while his stock is so high, because he's gonna end up going off the deep end if they keep jerking him around.

If this is true, than the Rays' front office is a joke. Play him or trade him, but this in between BS for two years is a disservice to Young and to D-Rays fans. A couple of week's delay for his outburst, which he did say sorry about in the middle of, was fine, but to hold his entire career hostage for yet another year is a total joke. Is this a nursery school with a "naughty corner" or is it professional baseball?

They're too damn cheap to start his clock, cause they know they wont be able to resign him. This organization really should be contracted. It's a joke.

So what? I don't see any rules they're breaking. It's a valid strategy, and they are running a business first and foremost. It seems that the prevailing reason people think this is a bad strategy is because he isn't putting up numbers for your fantasy team. It might be frustrating, but that doesn't really mean it's a poor strategy. I'm not saying it's the best course of action, either, but I don't think it's quite as bad as everyone is making this out to be.
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby FalcoAtL » Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:43 pm

Pedantic wrote:
Prooks25 wrote:
noseeum wrote:
Prooks25 wrote:He's not getting called up, Tampa refuses to call him up. They had the GM on local Tampa radio before and he said they have more "deserving" players in the minors who would be called up. And they dont even think Delmon will be called up in September.

Tampa should really just trade Delmon now while his stock is so high, because he's gonna end up going off the deep end if they keep jerking him around.

If this is true, than the Rays' front office is a joke. Play him or trade him, but this in between BS for two years is a disservice to Young and to D-Rays fans. A couple of week's delay for his outburst, which he did say sorry about in the middle of, was fine, but to hold his entire career hostage for yet another year is a total joke. Is this a nursery school with a "naughty corner" or is it professional baseball?

They're too damn cheap to start his clock, cause they know they wont be able to resign him. This organization really should be contracted. It's a joke.

So what? I don't see any rules they're breaking. It's a valid strategy, and they are running a business first and foremost. It seems that the prevailing reason people think this is a bad strategy is because he isn't putting up numbers for your fantasy team. It might be frustrating, but that doesn't really mean it's a poor strategy. I'm not saying it's the best course of action, either, but I don't think it's quite as bad as everyone is making this out to be.

Well said!! ;-D

His brother has really grown as a leader in DET. I don't see any reason he can't either for TB. I completely agree they shouldn't reward him with the call up at this point. I do feel he needs to be called up before the season is over though. He needs to get a feel for the league before he starts next year.
FalcoAtL
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Prooks25 » Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:57 pm

Pedantic wrote:
Prooks25 wrote:
noseeum wrote:

If the D'Rays would have just treated him correctly from the start, maybe he would have enjoyed his time with Tampa and re-signed with the team for less once his contract came up.

Now all you are doing by jerking him around is pissing him off, which may hurt his production on the field and you are GURANTING he does not sign back with you once his contarct is up.

Sure it's a nice strategy, if you are cheap. If you cant afford to run a baseball team correctly, dont get into the business.
Prooks25
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby noseeum » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:09 pm

At a minimum, Upton, Young, and the other guy who's name escapes me should have been made well aware of the plan for them.

If they knew "do X and you'll be called up." Or, "no matter what, we're calling you up when the rosters expand but not before," they might not have vented frustration to that reporter.

The Rays need to take some responsibility for the frustration of their three most prominent minor leaguers. If they're all saying it, they're not all the same pampered spoiled players that maybe you can accuse Young of being. There's a reason, and lack of communication from the front office is a big one.

These guys clearly had no clue what the plans were for them, and management is like "You don't deserve to know. We'll call you when we want you. In the meantime, keep your mouth shut."

That's a really dumb way to treat the future of your franchise. Fine if management's fed up, and even partially understandable, but "Untrade-able" and "Un-playable" makes absolutely no sense. Trade 'em or play 'em.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby houstonoilers » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:49 pm

Dukes is the third that escapes you
houstonoilers
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Pedantic » Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:38 pm

Prooks25 wrote:
Pedantic wrote:
Prooks25 wrote:
noseeum wrote:

If the D'Rays would have just treated him correctly from the start, maybe he would have enjoyed his time with Tampa and re-signed with the team for less once his contract came up.

Now all you are doing by jerking him around is pissing him off, which may hurt his production on the field and you are GURANTING he does not sign back with you once his contarct is up.

Sure it's a nice strategy, if you are cheap. If you cant afford to run a baseball team correctly, dont get into the business.

Again, how is this not running a team correctly? Of course the D-Rays are being cheap. They can't afford not to be. If Young and company rocket to stardom as predicted, they can't afford to keep them around when free agency comes knocking. So, why not delay bringing them up for a little while, so that management can pull other pieces together for a competitive future? It's not like they're treating Young like a career minor leaguer, and the Rays aren't exactly on the doorstep of the wild card. If you ask me, management is doing the team and Rays fans a favor with this strategy. Extending Young's time with the team only increases the chances that he is still with the team when they are competitive. With their financial situation, I still fail to see how the Rays management is doing anything wrong. Calling the Rays cheap is about the most preposterous statement I've heard on these forums. Should I call you cheap because you can't afford a BMW?
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Havok1517 » Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:44 pm

Making your predicted superstars angry the last 2 years now assures them that Young will do all he can not to stay with the team if you ask me. That may change if they ever start winning but right now he wants out. They should have sold high on Gomes, whom they always thought was overacheiving, and promoted Young. You don't think Young will remember how he was treated when he becomes a FA? I'm all for saving the dollar but not at the expense of hindering your team's brightest future star.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 133)

Postby noseeum » Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:21 am

Yeah, you can make people a part of your decisions and have them buy into it, or you can be dictatorial and have them be pissed off, disgruntled employees who can't wait to see the exit.

It has nothing to do with being cheap. It has to do with keeping these guys happy and productive while they're with you.

"Hey Delmon, you really screwed up. We can't have guys in our clubhouse who mouth off to the press. Stay here until 9/1 and focus on that. No more infractions, you're up."

Not "We have more deserving players than him..."

Real smart. Is this true, BTW? Anyone have a confirm before we lynch these guys completely? LOL.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers