Jose Valverde...what is his story? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Jose Valverde...what is his story?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Jose Valverde...what is his story?

Postby WaCougMBS » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:18 pm

The Diamondbacks activated him today, and though Im not going to run out and waste a waiver claim on him, Im just wondering what his story is. How was he pitching where they sent him down? Is he going to be right (in the head) again? Will he close again this season, or has Julio done a good enough job to keep it? The guy can be a filthy closer (we saw that in his first 13-14 saves), but I just dont know if he will be able to get straightened out and get his job back this season. He was definately the D-Backs lynch pin for crapping their pants and falling apart this year. Either that or a wierd coincidence. Either way, please post your thoughts, information, and/or knowledge and please let me know what is going on. WHIR as always!
WaCougMBS
Radio Pimp
Radio Pimp

Radio PimpEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterCafecasterFootball ModPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 12)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Big Train » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:43 pm

He pitched reasonably well with the Sidewinders at Triple A Tuscon, converting all 3 save chances and striking out more than a batter per inning. If I remember correctly he had an ERA around 3. I doubt that he closes unless Julio flops or unless the D'backs are out of it near the end of the season. Even then Pena might get some chances. If effective, he might be good for holds, K's or K/9 if you are in a really deep league, but not much else.
Image + Image = 762

"Trying to hit him was like trying to drink coffee with a fork." - Willie Stargell on Sandy Koufax
The Big Train
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby FalcoAtL » Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:44 am

Well I heard his last 12 of 13 outings were scoreless in Tucson so he seems to be regaining his old form. He did look decent tonight against the Rockies as well. Not as nasty as he was toward the end of last year, but he was getting the job done against each hitter he faced. I would say that it will a lot of luck for him to regain the closer's role before the end of the season. Julio, although shaky as of late, has been an adequate closer since he took on the job, and I don't think he will have much trouble keeping things together. If somehow he does run into a rough period I would say the first person to get the look will be, as The Big Train said, Tony Pena. Tonight he K'd 4 guys in 2 innings and has an ERA right at 3 since being called up. Couple that along with the fact that he raked in Triple A and Double A and I think there is really no doubt that Melvin has him in mind for the backup at this point.
FalcoAtL
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Pick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Return to Injuries & Player Updates