Where the flock is Pat Burrell? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Where the flock is Pat Burrell?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Where the flock is Pat Burrell?

Postby jnormy » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:52 pm

I know he has the foot issues, but is he gonna be on the bench more often than not from here on out? I figured he'd miss a game once in a while, but two in a row against a team he's traditionally hit well against? He's usually a Met killer, and here they're scoring all these runs without him two nights in a row, which SUCKS for Burrell owners (like me). :-[

Anyone know the latest on why Pat the Bat sat... again?
jnormy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 5)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jake_twothousandfive » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:43 pm

there was another thread started yesterday by The Big Train explaining his outlook for the remainder of the year...doesn't sound good...he seems like a very safe drop to me right now

Check it out:
http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/foru ... p?t=235278
"Don't take anything for granted, because tomorrow is not promised to any of us." ---Kirby Puckett
jake_twothousandfive
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby fitzit22 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:36 pm

Burrell's days in Philly are numbered. There is a rumor that he exercised his no trade clause prior to the trade deadline on a deal to Baltimore for Lopez.

Ed Wade, the previous GM gave him a no trade clause, which is a disaster.

So I am assuming, what the phillies are try to do is make him realize it would be better if he was in another situation.

Let's not kid ourselves, he leads the league in called third strikes, and he has no idea of the strike zone. He is an average player, who goes through hot streaks once in a while.

Plus Delucci is twice the player as Burrell, it looks as if Delucci will start seeing time even against left handed pitching.
fitzit22
College Coach
College Coach

Postby AdvRider » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:28 pm

fitzit22 wrote:Let's not kid ourselves, he leads the league in called third strikes, and he has no idea of the strike zone. He is an average player, who goes through hot streaks once in a while.

Agreed! I dumped him for Rivera nearly two months ago and have been reaping the dividends ever since. I've had enough of Burrell for good. He's on my DND list next year. :-t
AdvRider
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 5)

Re: Where the flock is Pat Burrell?

Postby Hobbes » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:43 pm

jnormy wrote:Anyone know the latest on why Pat the Bat sat... again?

I'm sure he sat yesterday because he is 0-for-17 against Pedro in his career.

He doesn't hit righties very well so he sits against them more often. With a righty on the mound tonight and yesterday's lineup having so much success, I'm sure they decided to let him sit another day.

With two high-scoring games in a row without him I would think that doesn't bode well for increasing his playing time.
Hobbes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Snakes Gould » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:53 pm

fitzit22 wrote:Burrell's days in Philly are numbered. There is a rumor that he exercised his no trade clause prior to the trade deadline on a deal to Baltimore for Lopez.

Ed Wade, the previous GM gave him a no trade clause, which is a disaster.

So I am assuming, what the phillies are try to do is make him realize it would be better if he was in another situation.

Let's not kid ourselves, he leads the league in called third strikes, and he has no idea of the strike zone. He is a BELOW average player, who goes through hot streaks once in a while.

Plus Delucci is twice the player as Burrell, it looks as if Delucci will start seeing time even against left handed pitching.

there, fixed ;-D

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby sixer03fan » Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:14 am

as a phillie fan im so glad to see him on the bench while delucci and victorino get the shots they deserve. and we've been doing great since he hasnt been playing much.
sixer03fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Big Train » Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:45 am

While I understand the frustration of Phillies fans, I don't think he qualifies as a below average player, at least not in fantasy terms if that is what we are referring to (obviously I recognize the real life defensive and baserunning liabilities given the foot issue.) With the exception of the mediocre batting average, he was actually on pace to replicate last year's numbers, especially the HR and RBI totals. He obviously whiffs too much, but that is often the price to be paid for the HR and RBI's. We knew what we were drafting him for (power), and anyone who did their homework at the beginning of the season knew then that the foot problem was a lingering issue. Were it not for the foot problems I doubt that many owners, even those in Philly, would be complaining too much since the power numbers are there. He will obviously never live up to being a number one pick, especially in a tough sports city like Philly, but I don't recall much positive mention of him last year despite 32 HR, 117 RBI, .892 OPS which is outstanding coming from any other player.
Image + Image = 762

"Trying to hit him was like trying to drink coffee with a fork." - Willie Stargell on Sandy Koufax
The Big Train
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Return to Injuries & Player Updates