Detailed Playoff Predections: - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Detailed Playoff Predections:

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby BritSox » Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:01 pm

teddy ballgame wrote:Woops, shouldn't have said anything then. :-/ My bad.


Not at all. you weren't to know.
Image
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 5223
Joined: 5 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby brandnew » Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:17 pm

Yees of little faith. The Bravos will be there in October ;-D

Braves/Dodgers
Mets/Cards

Sox/Tigers
Yanks/As

Braves/Mets

Tigers/Yanks

Braves/Tigers

Braves.

:-D
Image
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 3599
Joined: 8 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The 909!

Postby Half Massed » Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:35 pm

teddy ballgame wrote:
Half Massed wrote:
Belle4Hall88 wrote:They are also playing arguably the best defense in baseball.


How did you get this? Any team playing Manny and Willy Mo in the OF is nowhere near a top defensive team in my book. But maybe you have some stat backing this up that I've overlooked?

Yeah, the stat would be that they have the highest fielding percentage in the majors. You don't have to put "arguably" in front of it. The Red Sox are playing the best defense in the majors. I'm surprised anyone would think of disputing that.

Also, Belle...posting Chicago's ERA for the past month isn't what Miner was talking about. Post them for the 5 of the last 6 games in which they took 5 of 6 from the Tigers and Yankees.


I'm glad errors are the main judge of a good defensive team. ;-7 They may be playing the balls hit right to them well, but their zone ratings and RAA as a team mostly range from average to poor. Manny has a .705 ZR for example. (The average for a LF was .831 last year) The Red Sox are also ranked 19th in the league in defensive efficency, which measures the amount balls put into play are turned into outs by a team's defense.
Image
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 4084
Joined: 27 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Busting ghosts

Postby michaelp » Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:05 am

Half Massed wrote:
teddy ballgame wrote:
Half Massed wrote:
Belle4Hall88 wrote:They are also playing arguably the best defense in baseball.


How did you get this? Any team playing Manny and Willy Mo in the OF is nowhere near a top defensive team in my book. But maybe you have some stat backing this up that I've overlooked?

Yeah, the stat would be that they have the highest fielding percentage in the majors. You don't have to put "arguably" in front of it. The Red Sox are playing the best defense in the majors. I'm surprised anyone would think of disputing that.

Also, Belle...posting Chicago's ERA for the past month isn't what Miner was talking about. Post them for the 5 of the last 6 games in which they took 5 of 6 from the Tigers and Yankees.


I'm glad errors are the main judge of a good defensive team. ;-7 They may be playing the balls hit right to them well, but their zone ratings and RAA as a team mostly range from average to poor. Manny has a .705 ZR for example. (The average for a LF was .831 last year) The Red Sox are also ranked 19th in the league in defensive efficency, which measures the amount balls put into play are turned into outs by a team's defense.



Ebonically speaking Half Massed know what he is talking about B-)

Plus you can't take in the Average for the count, look at how they draw walks and utilize batters. go ahead check the stats belle, tell me swisher's or kendal's on base percentage
michaelp
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

User avatar

Posts: 56
Joined: 3 Aug 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Havok1517 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:28 am

I think NYM, Stl & Bos get some bullpen help in some fashion soon.

NL West - Dodgers
NL Central - Reds (Homer Bailey?)
NL East - Mets (Pelfrey will be back and they need to improve pen)
NL WC - Cardinals (they've been falling fast)

AL West - A's (No questin if Harden comes back healthy)
AL Central - Tigers (Slowing down some though)
AL East - Red Sox (Need some arms still)
AL WC - White Sox

Cards vs. Mets = Mets
Dodgers vs. Reds = Reds (I'm starting to believe)
Mets vs. Reds = Mets

White Sox vs. Red Sox = Red Sox
Tigers vs. A's = Tigers
Tigers vs. Red Sox = Tigers

Tigers vs. Mets = Mets in 6

I could easily see the A's win it all if Harden & Crosby get healthy and produce. I could also see the Tigers pull a Seattle Mariners of 2001 (116 game winning season) and go out early after having a great season.
Last edited by Havok1517 on Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe Writer
Posts: 8520
(Past Year: 124)
Joined: 8 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BritSox » Thu Aug 17, 2006 9:36 am

Havok1517 wrote:I think NYM, Stl & Bos get some bullpen help in some fashion soon.

NL West - Dodgers
NL Central - Reds (Homer Bailey?)
NL East - Mets (Pelfrey will be back and they need to improve pen)
NL WC - Cardinals (they've been falling fast)

AL West - A's (No questin if Harden comes back healthy)
AL Central - Tigers (Slowing down some though)
AL East - Red Sox (Need some arms still)
AL WC - White Sox

Cards vs. Mets = Mets
Dodgers vs. Reds = Reds (I'm starting to believe)
Mets vs. Reds = Mets

White Sox vs. Red Sox = Red Sox
Tigers vs. A's = Tigers
A's vs. Red Sox = A's

Tigers vs. Mets = Mets in 6

I could easily see the A's win it all if Harden & Crosby get healthy and produce. I could also see the Tigers pull a Seattle Mariners of 2001 (116 game winning season) and go out early after having a great season.


So you have the Tigers beating the A's, then the A's beating the Red Sox, then the Mets beating the Tigers?
Image
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 5223
Joined: 5 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby Half Massed » Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:39 pm

I'm curious as to where people get the idea that the Angels have a good bullpen and good defense. I guess the bullpen because of the impression K Rod and Shields leave, but the rest of the pen has been essentially awful. Scoscia's been moving guys around the different roles left and right all year to try to find somewhere where they succeed. (With little success. Look at Romero, Donnelly, etc.)

And the Angel's defense, at least in the infield, is terrible. Errors aren't the best judge of defense, but the Angels have made the 2nd most in all of baseball. Adam Kennedy, Maicer Izturis, and Figgins when he plays any infield have a zone rating below .800 (not good) and Quinlan and Kendrick are barely over .800 (still not good). Essentially the entire infield (except Cabrera and he hasn't been any kind of whiz this year) is shaky defensively.
Image
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 4084
Joined: 27 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Busting ghosts

Postby Havok1517 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:43 pm

BritSox wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:I think NYM, Stl & Bos get some bullpen help in some fashion soon.

NL West - Dodgers
NL Central - Reds (Homer Bailey?)
NL East - Mets (Pelfrey will be back and they need to improve pen)
NL WC - Cardinals (they've been falling fast)

AL West - A's (No questin if Harden comes back healthy)
AL Central - Tigers (Slowing down some though)
AL East - Red Sox (Need some arms still)
AL WC - White Sox

Cards vs. Mets = Mets
Dodgers vs. Reds = Reds (I'm starting to believe)
Mets vs. Reds = Mets

White Sox vs. Red Sox = Red Sox
Tigers vs. A's = Tigers
A's vs. Red Sox = A's

Tigers vs. Mets = Mets in 6

I could easily see the A's win it all if Harden & Crosby get healthy and produce. I could also see the Tigers pull a Seattle Mariners of 2001 (116 game winning season) and go out early after having a great season.


So you have the Tigers beating the A's, then the A's beating the Red Sox, then the Mets beating the Tigers?


Sorry. 6:30 was pretty early to be posting matchup winners I guess. I stand by them now.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe Writer
Posts: 8520
(Past Year: 124)
Joined: 8 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Half Massed » Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:04 am

I notice I've been doing a lot of posting, but not a lot predicting here. :-D

So let's see...

AL West: A's
Al Central: Tigers
AL East: Yankees
AL WC: White Sox

NL West: Dodgers
NL Central: St. Louis
NL East: Mets
NL WC: Marlins (Not really, I just like them, probably the Reds)

A's v. Tigers: A's (assuming Harden is back and healthy, and to a lesser extent, Crosby)
Yankees v. Sox: Yanks
A's v. Yanks: A's, finally I hope. (With no Harden, Yanks)

Mets v. Reds: Mets
St. Louis v. Dodgers: Dodgers
Mets v. Dodgers: Mets

Mets v. A's (or Yanks): A's, (or Mets if Yankees)

Sure, there may be some home team bias there, but I think in a short series with Harden, the A's really have the key elements (bullpen and defense) to take the short ones.
Image
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor
Posts: 4084
Joined: 27 Feb 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Busting ghosts

Postby michaelp » Fri Aug 18, 2006 12:57 am

Half Massed wrote:I notice I've been doing a lot of posting, but not a lot predicting here. :-D

So let's see...

AL West: A's
Al Central: Tigers
AL East: Yankees
AL WC: White Sox

NL West: Dodgers
NL Central: St. Louis
NL East: Mets
NL WC: Marlins (Not really, I just like them, probably the Reds)

A's v. Tigers: A's (assuming Harden is back and healthy, and to a lesser extent, Crosby)
Yankees v. Sox: Yanks
A's v. Yanks: A's, finally I hope. (With no Harden, Yanks)

Mets v. Reds: Mets
St. Louis v. Dodgers: Dodgers
Mets v. Dodgers: Mets

Mets v. A's (or Yanks): A's, (or Mets if Yankees)

Sure, there may be some home team bias there, but I think in a short series with Harden, the A's really have the key elements (bullpen and defense) to take the short ones.


You hit nail on the coffin, The A's are assumed the underdog in the AL West. I just want R. Harden to get back as soon as possible. He has been a dissapointment this year. He needs to improve his strength and conditioning Workouts.
People should start talking about how the A's bullpen is better now, with J. Kennedy, Witasick back. You are looking at Duscherer, Calero(came in the mulder deal, very solid). A's haven't been this solid with their Bullpen since the Eckersley era.
When it comes to the A's offense, the averages don't pop up at you but if you ask commentator's around the league, they'll say that the A's are very patient hitters. Draw a lot of walks and when necessary have the players like kendall, ellis that are not offensively good but know how to smallball.
michaelp
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

User avatar

Posts: 56
Joined: 3 Aug 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 13 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact