Detailed Playoff Predections: - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Detailed Playoff Predections:

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Detailed Playoff Predections:

Postby Belle4Hall88 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:26 pm

American East: Boston Red Sox: Currently they are two games out, but the combination of Ortiz/Manny/Pena is just ridiculiously amazing. Also Mike Lowell, Coco Crisp, Javy Lopez & Mark Loretta can also be very dangerously. They are also playing arguably the best defense in baseball. Their pitching is where the qustion marks lay. Schilling is having a great year, but the other starters are a big qustion mark. If Beckett, Wells & Lester can just eat innings and get the ball to Mike Timlin, Brian Corey & Johnathon Papelbon without giving up tooo many runs I think they represent the East in the playoffs.

American League Central: Detroit Tigers They have a fairly comferatble lead in the Central, however, The White Sox proved last year that it is an easy lead to lose as they nearly blew a 15+ game lead to the Tribe. The Tigers have an amazing pitching staff, maybe the best overall in baseball. Verlander/Bonderman/Rogers/Robertson/Miner is filthy & the bullpen is even better. Fernando Rodeny, Jamie Walker, Jason Grilli, Wilferdo Ledezma, Joel Zumaya & Todd Jones who has recently been nearly lights out. They also have one of the best lineups in baseball. The Tigers are the most complete team in baseball in my opinon.

American League West: Los Angeles Angels of Anaheim:
Even though they are 5 1/2 games out currently, I still view them as the most complete team in the West. The A's just don't have enough in my opinon. Frank Thomas is carrying Oakland on his back, and if he gets injured they are going down and going down fast. Take Thomas out of the A's lineup and it might be the worst in baseball. The Angels on the other hand have a great young lineup. They should of traded for a big bat at the break, but Vladdy Guerrero, Garrett Anderson & Juan Rivera make for a good middle of the order to go with the youth that is performing excelent: Maicer Izturis, Rob Quinlan & Howie Kendrick. Also, along with the Tigers they have the best staff in baseball. John Lackey, Kelvim Escobar, Jered Weaver, Joe Saunders & Ervin Santana may be the best starting 5 in baseball. The bullpen is no joke either, Scott Shields & Fransisco Rodriguez is a nice 1-2 punch.

American League Wild Card: New York Yankees It comes down to the Yanks, A's, Twins & White Sox. Like I said above, the A's aside of Frank Thomas just don't impress me at all. The Twins are currently without Fransisco Liriano, wich is the main reason they are almost 20 games over .500 to begin with. The White Sox seem to be slipping more and more here lately, and their starting rotation no longer impresses me. The team with almost no weakness is the all year. Jaret Wright is starting to turn it around, and even though he is having his worst season is about 15 years, it is never fun to face the Big Unit. Also, they might have the best lineup in baseball even though Garry Sheffield & Hideki Matsui have been on the shelf almost all year. Scott Proctor and Ron Villone are quietly doing a great job to get the Yanks to Mariano Rivera.

National League East: New York Mets: They are clearly the best team in the NL, but they havn't looked all that impressive lately. Pedro seems to be hurt all the time, leaving a game last night after giving up 6 runs in one inning. If Pedro continues to struggle with injuries, they have to rely on a starting staff of Tom Glavine, El Duque, Steve Trashel & either Oliver Perez, Soler or Pelfrey. That is not very comferting. However, their bullpen is disgusting, maybe the best in the NL. And their lineup is also ridiculiously nasty with Beltran, Reyes, Wright Lo Duca & Delgado.

National League Central: Cincinatti Reds: Even after some retarted trades(Kearns & Lopez for crap) the Cardinals do not impress me one bit. They are 31-39 in their past 70 games. Their rotation is horrible, take away Chris Carpenter and their starters ERA is around 6. The Reds are a better team all around. Harrang and Arroyo are a nice 1-2 punch, althought the rest of the rotation is nothing to write home about. Their bullpen is ok, with Eddie G, Rheal Cormier & Bill Bray. They also have a better lineup than the Cards IMO, Dunn, Griffey Jr., Freel, Encarnation, Aurilla, Hattenberg, Brandon Phillips and David Ross are all having good years and are a force to be reckoned with.

National League West: Los Angeles Dodgers Derek Lowe, Brad Penny, Greg Maddux, Mark Hendrickson & Chad Billingsly make up a very good 5 man rotation. They also have an above average bullpen to go along with the rotation. Aquiring Maddux as well as the Julio Lugo trade put them atop the West IMO. Lofton, Lugo, Nomar, Either & Betemit are doing a great job although the lineup isn't anything to write home about. If J.D. Drew & Jeff Kent can turn it around watch out.

National League Wild Card: San Diego Padres The best team out of a bunch of weak contenders that includes the Diamondbacks, Cardinals, Rockies, Astros & Phillies. The lineup isn't great, but its not bad either. Piazza is having a great year and Adrian Gonzalez is devolping into one of the better first basemen in the NL. Mike Cameron is heating up as well. Peavy/Young/Park/Williams/Hensley is an above average rotation, and the bullpen as always is great.

PLAYOFFS:
- Los Angeles Angels over Boston Red Sox in 4:
- Detroit Tigers over New York Yankees in 5:
- San Diego Padres over Cincinatti Reds in 5:
- Los Angeles Dodgers over New York Mets in 5:

- Detroit Tigers over Los Angeles Angels in 7:
- Los Angeles Dodgers over San Diego Padres in 5:

WORLD SERIES:
Detroit Tigers over Los Angeles Dodgers in 6.
Belle4Hall88 Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Ranger Roto » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:32 pm

I wouldn't be shocked if none of that came true
Ranger Roto
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby DeadWinterDay » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:33 pm

AL:

East - Yankees
Central - Tigers
West - A's
WC - Red Sox

NL:
East - Mets
Central - Cardinals
West - Dodgers
WC- Reds

Divisional Series:
Yankees over A's in 4
Tigers over Red Sox in 4
Mets over Reds in 4
Dodgers over Cardinals in 5

Championship Series:
Mets over Dodgers in 7
Yankees over Tigers in 6

World Series:
Yankees over Mets in 6

Fullfilling my spring training prediction of Yankees winning the subway series, although taking a completely different path to the end.
;-D
DeadWinterDay
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Esen » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:24 pm

NL East: Mets
NL Central: Reds
NL West: Dodgers
NL Wild Card: Cardinals

AL East: Yankees
AL Central: Tigers
AL West: A's
AL WIld Card: Twins

NL Division:
Mets over Cardinals in 4
Reds over Dodgers in 5

AL Division:
Yankees over A's in 3
Tigers over Twins in 5

NL Championship:
Mets over Reds in 5

AL Championship:
Tigers over Yankees in 6

World Series:
Mets over Tigers in 7
~Erik
Esen
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 6)

Postby michaelp » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:45 pm

Hey, this is not a shot at you but Belle, what you wrote about the American League West is so far from the Truth. Angels are 5 1/2 games out. They are not going to win the Division. The Angels have the Rangers to worry about. In my opinion the A's will coast into the playoffs. And Frak Thomas is not carrying the team. Research before you talk. All of Oakland's hitters are contributing, but players like swisher and Chavez hadn't for awhile but seem like they are back. If you were to say one player on the A's did carry the team right now, it would be Jay Payton
It's pitching and defense
michaelp
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Re: Detailed Playoff Predections:

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:48 pm

Belle4Hall88 wrote:The White Sox seem to be slipping more and more here lately, and their starting rotation no longer impresses me. .

whatd you write this a month ago?? the sox just took 5 of 6 from the tigers and yanks not even a week ago. and the starting pitching was brilliant. :-D
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Belle4Hall88 » Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:14 am

michaelp wrote:Hey, this is not a shot at you but Belle, what you wrote about the American League West is so far from the Truth. Angels are 5 1/2 games out. They are not going to win the Division. The Angels have the Rangers to worry about. In my opinion the A's will coast into the playoffs. And Frak Thomas is not carrying the team. Research before you talk. All of Oakland's hitters are contributing, but players like swisher and Chavez hadn't for awhile but seem like they are back. If you were to say one player on the A's did carry the team right now, it would be Jay Payton
It's pitching and defense

Oakland A's Past 15 Games:
Frank Thomas: .326 AVG, 2 HR, 11 RBI
Jason Kendall: .286 AVG, 0 HR, 4 RBI
Jay Payon: .280 AVG, 3 HR, 4 RBI
Marcu Scutaro: .262, 1 HR, 4 RBI
Eric Chavez: .238 AVG, 1 HR, 3 RBI
Nick Swisher: .234 AVG, 3 HR, 9 RBI
Milton Bradley: .233 AVG, 2 HR, 5 RBI
Mark Ellis: .225 AVG, 2 HR, 9 RBI
Bobby Kielty: .205 AVG, 1 HR, 2 RBI
Belle4Hall88 Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: Detailed Playoff Predections:

Postby Belle4Hall88 » Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:18 am

The Miner Part 2 wrote:
Belle4Hall88 wrote:The White Sox seem to be slipping more and more here lately, and their starting rotation no longer impresses me. .

whatd you write this a month ago?? the sox just took 5 of 6 from the tigers and yanks not even a week ago. and the starting pitching was brilliant. :-D

Chicago White Sox: ERA The Past Month:
Jose Contreras- 3.68
Jon Garland- 3.89
Freddy Garcia- 4.43
Bobby Jenks- 4.97
Javier Vazquez- 5.34
Mark Buehrle- 6.68
Belle4Hall88 Beginner
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Half Massed » Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:45 am

Belle4Hall88 wrote:They are also playing arguably the best defense in baseball.

How did you get this? Any team playing Manny and Willy Mo in the OF is nowhere near a top defensive team in my book. But maybe you have some stat backing this up that I've overlooked?

And as michaelp said, you're making a mistake counting out the A's. Thomas has been great, but Bradley and Swisher have been returning from bad health to offensive life, and Chavvy's showing some signs of return. The A's aren't an offensive team. They win on great defense and great pitching.

As for the Angels, a rotation with essentially three rookies is not the best in baseball, and the bullpen is overrated for the Angels. Shields and K Rod are great, but beyond that...

You post the A's poor averages, but yet they're 12-2 in August...
Half Massed
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 Survivor

Postby duckmonkey » Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:18 am

AL:

East - NYY
Central - CWS
West - OAK
Wild Card - DET

NL: