Is Evan Longoria the No. 1 Prospect? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Is Evan Longoria the No. 1 Prospect?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Is Evan Longoria the top prospect in the minors?

Yes
13%
No
87%

Total votes : 23

Postby shortsavage » Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:36 pm

winterball22 wrote:I think prospects could be discussed all day, and people are going to have different opinions. IE the last poster said Young will definitely be #1 if not called up(it's not definite, it's only an opinion). BA has already dropped him to #2. Baseball is such a mental game, I would rather have Wood or Gordon, then take a chance on Young who could end being another J.Hamilton. Where as other owners would rather have Young. Soo, one guy might have Longoria #1, someone else Gordon etc..it all depends on how you evaluate rookies.

First off, you can't even begin to compare Delmon Young to Josh Hamilton.

Secondly, John Mauel moved Delmon Young down below #1 Stephen Drew, who will lose his rookie status this season. And a lot of that had to do with Young not playing in a lot of the first half.

Lastly, for some reason certain members of the media choose to sacrifice honest journalism for the sake of some momentary fame. Throwing your bat at an umpire is horrible, but I don't think Delmon Young has gone far enough down the headcase path to seriously impact his prospect status.
Last edited by shortsavage on Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby winterball22 » Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:56 pm

This season wasn't Young's first season with headaches and causing problems. The point I was trying to make (in your defence) was that everybody rates prospects differently, every magazine has different prospect list...prospects are very subjective, and people rate them diferently. Personally I would rather have Gordon then Young, where as 6 of my coworkers might love Young, and yes there might even be one, who thinks that Longoria is #1.
winterball22
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby ukjohn » Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:00 pm

shortsavage wrote:
winterball22 wrote:I think prospects could be discussed all day, and people are going to have different opinions. IE the last poster said Young will definitely be #1 if not called up(it's not definite, it's only an opinion). BA has already dropped him to #2. Baseball is such a mental game, I would rather have Wood or Gordon, then take a chance on Young who could end being another J.Hamilton. Where as other owners would rather have Young. Soo, one guy might have Longoria #1, someone else Gordon etc..it all depends on how you evaluate rookies.

First off, you can't even begin to compare Delmon Young to Josh Hamilton.

Secondly, John Mauel moved Delmon Young down below #1 Stephen Drew, who will lose his rookie status this season. And a lot of that had to do with Young not playing in a lot of the first half.

Lastly, for some reason certain members of the media choose to sacrifice honest journalism for the sake of some momentary fame. Throwing your bat at an umpire is horrible, but I don't think Delmon Young has gone far enough down the headcase path to seriously impact his prospect status.

BA ranked Young second...Gordon was #1
"I'm out like a fat girl in dodge ball"
ukjohn
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby rmande09 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:30 pm

Gordon will be #1, unless Young has a monster last month and a half between Durham and Tampa Bay. It's hard to ignore what Gordon has done this season. Sure, he's 22, but this is also his first full season in the Bigs. He has a .998 OPS, which is slightly ridiculous, 24 homers, 60 XBH, 21 steals and an 88% steal rate, not to mention potential Gold Glove defense. He has great patience at the plate, and though he has a fairly high K rate, his walk totals and power numbers offset them a slight bit.

Young's ceiling is rididulous, and he's 20... in AAA... hitting .320. His power is there, he has great speed, great defense, absolute cannon... He can do it all. There isn't much of an argument.

Longoria has been awesome thus far, but you can't say he's been better than Wood, Gordon, Butler, etc. because of his small sample size. As Galt said earlier, he never projected to be much more than a solid regular - he's certainly seemed to quash that, but his two month sample is really not enough to make it seem like he's going to be a future STAR. Like I said earlier, he's probably moved up to 15 or so. At least that's where I would rank him. He will definitely be top 50, and that's underrating him quite a bit. He did show quite a bit of potential with wood in the Cape League and did play in one of the worst hitters parks in the country at LBSU (that place is HUGE and the ball just DIES), plus, he's got good size and ridiculous bat speed which should translate to good power. I would love to see him moved to second base - that would probably toss him into the top 7 or so right now.

It's tough to ignore a kid who, two months earlier, was playing college ball, and now is absolutely crushing AA pitching, but you can't base everything off it. It's too small of a sample size.
C: Pierzynski
1B: Pujols
2B: Altuve
3B: Miggy
SS: HanRam
OF (x3): CarGo, M. Bourn, D. Jennings
UTIL (x2): E. Encarnacion, C. Hart
BN: Cuddyer, C. Ross, J. Montero

SP: Price, Gallardo, T. Hudson, Lester
RP: Chapman, Jansen, Rodney, Putz, Cishek, Bailey
rmande09
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby shortsavage » Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:06 pm

ukjohn wrote:BA ranked Young second...Gordon was #1

Where did you see that? You're not talking about their midseason top 100 update, right? Gordon was #5 in that.
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby ukjohn » Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:42 pm

shortsavage wrote:

Where did you see that? You're not talking about their midseason top 100 update, right? Gordon was #5 in that.

can't recall if it was the entire BA crew's ranking, or if it was just an "ASK BA" article...i'll try and find it for ya
ukjohn
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby shortsavage » Thu Aug 17, 2006 2:56 pm

The only thing I can find is Alex Gordon #1 on the July 31st prospect hot sheet with Delmon Young #2.

I have a lot of time on my hands right now and I haven't seen Gordon listed over Young in any BA ranking list or chat.
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby ukjohn » Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:08 pm

shortsavage wrote:The only thing I can find is Alex Gordon #1 on the July 31st prospect hot sheet with Delmon Young #2.

I have a lot of time on my hands right now and I haven't seen Gordon listed over Young in any BA ranking list or chat.

nah, the hot sheets aren't rankings, just who is hot, who isn't, etc
ukjohn
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby shortsavage » Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:09 pm

I know.
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby NatsFan10 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 6:45 pm

ukjohn wrote:
shortsavage wrote:

can't recall if it was the entire BA crew's ranking, or if it was just an "ASK BA" article...i'll try and find it for ya

I think you're referring to John Sickels midseason rankings, where he had Gordon as the #1 overall prospect.
NatsFan10
College Coach
College Coach

PreviousNext

Return to Minor League & College Baseball