Is Evan Longoria the No. 1 Prospect? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Is Evan Longoria the No. 1 Prospect?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Is Evan Longoria the top prospect in the minors?

Yes
3
13%
No
20
87%
 
Total votes : 23

Postby eazyb81 » Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:07 am

shortsavage wrote:
Longoria is just six months older than Billy Butler, about six months younger than Brandon Wood, and almost a year and a half younger than Alex Gordon, yet he has been better than all of them at the same level.



Do you honestly believe Longoria's 37 AB in Double A are enough of a sample size to show that he is going to perform better at that level than Gordon, Wood, and Butler? That's just silly.
eazyb81
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 236
Joined: 16 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: At Kauffman Stadium wearing a paper bag over my head.

Postby ukjohn » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:16 am

shortsavage wrote:
ukjohn wrote:#1 prospect 8-o

top 20 in my book, not any higher than that

heck, he's 3rd in TB


3rd in TB behind who?


my bad, 2nd in TB

but still not in my top 15 at all, closer to the 20-25 range
"I'm out like a fat girl in dodge ball"
ukjohn
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 1283
Joined: 19 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Northern Kentucky

Postby Galt » Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:19 am

He's still 3rd in TB behind Delmon and Dukes, assuming Dukes doesn't disappear from baseball.

Longoria is good, he was solid in the Cape Cod league, and he's been on a tear so far.

But no one in their right mind would name someone the top prospect in baseball because they had a supurb half a year.

He's been astonishing this year, and he will likely move up the board and crack the top 50 after this, but since no one really had him rated as much more than a potential MLB average starter before the draft, a 2 month tear isn't going to dramatically change that.

If he continues this pace for another 100+ minor league games, then sure, maybe he'll be the #1 prospect in '08 or midseason '07
Galt
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 505
Joined: 11 Apr 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ukjohn » Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:56 am

Galt wrote:He's still 3rd in TB behind Delmon and Dukes, assuming Dukes doesn't disappear from baseball.

Longoria is good, he was solid in the Cape Cod league, and he's been on a tear so far.

But no one in their right mind would name someone the top prospect in baseball because they had a supurb half a year.

He's been astonishing this year, and he will likely move up the board and crack the top 50 after this, but since no one really had him rated as much more than a potential MLB average starter before the draft, a 2 month tear isn't going to dramatically change that.

If he continues this pace for another 100+ minor league games, then sure, maybe he'll be the #1 prospect in '08 or midseason '07


totally agree...one of the more pointless threads we've had here at the cafe
"I'm out like a fat girl in dodge ball"
ukjohn
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 1283
Joined: 19 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Northern Kentucky

Postby shortsavage » Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:13 pm

ukjohn wrote:
Galt wrote:He's still 3rd in TB behind Delmon and Dukes, assuming Dukes doesn't disappear from baseball.

Longoria is good, he was solid in the Cape Cod league, and he's been on a tear so far.

But no one in their right mind would name someone the top prospect in baseball because they had a supurb half a year.

He's been astonishing this year, and he will likely move up the board and crack the top 50 after this, but since no one really had him rated as much more than a potential MLB average starter before the draft, a 2 month tear isn't going to dramatically change that.

If he continues this pace for another 100+ minor league games, then sure, maybe he'll be the #1 prospect in '08 or midseason '07


totally agree...one of the more pointless threads we've had here at the cafe


How can you totally agree if you just corrected yourself that you think Longoria is the #2 D-Ray prospect and this poster is calling him the #3?

P.S. Thanks for the rude comment...jerk.
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe WriterWeb Supporter
Posts: 2946
Joined: 25 Aug 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: UC Davis

Postby bigwords » Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:45 pm

I think this thread is getting too personal, but to throw my two cents in, we're talking "prospects" here, and the definition of a prospect is something expected but hasn't yet occurred. Let's throw track records out the door here. Everyone is a minor leaguer and some of those being touted as being better than Longoria are a couple years younger than him, if I'm not mistaken. Who's #2 vs. #3 really seems to be a silly question compared to some more pertinent questions one might be asking. Everything is subjective. And depending on your mode of measurement, a case can be made for Longoria or someone else. Hell, I'll make a case that my unborn son is a prospect worthy of being ranked in the top 100.

Also, I have Longoria on my team, and I could drop him and pick up Maybin, but I'm not going to, simply because everything I read, has Maybin merely a maybe (how's that alliteration?) for 2008, and in terms of fantasy baseball, that's a hell of a long way off. I could point out to you several can't miss prospects that never made it because of injuries, drugs, etc. Longoria seems closer to the major leagues for several reasons and for that reason alone, I'd rather have him on my squad. But if you say Maybin is better, I'm definitely not going to argue with you. Just tell me whether you'd drop Longoria, Kemp, or Tulowitzki for him and why.
bigwords
Major League Manager
Major League Manager


Posts: 1026
Joined: 7 Jun 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ukjohn » Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:51 pm

shortsavage wrote:
ukjohn wrote:
Galt wrote:He's still 3rd in TB behind Delmon and Dukes, assuming Dukes doesn't disappear from baseball.

Longoria is good, he was solid in the Cape Cod league, and he's been on a tear so far.

But no one in their right mind would name someone the top prospect in baseball because they had a supurb half a year.

He's been astonishing this year, and he will likely move up the board and crack the top 50 after this, but since no one really had him rated as much more than a potential MLB average starter before the draft, a 2 month tear isn't going to dramatically change that.

If he continues this pace for another 100+ minor league games, then sure, maybe he'll be the #1 prospect in '08 or midseason '07


totally agree...one of the more pointless threads we've had here at the cafe


How can you totally agree if you just corrected yourself that you think Longoria is the #2 D-Ray prospect and this poster is calling him the #3?

P.S. Thanks for the rude comment...jerk.


Dukes says he's done with baseball, therefore he is no longer a prospect. I agreed with all of his comments though, Dukes would be ranked higher, but it's iffey because of his latest suspension and everything.

Wasn't trying to be a jerk to you, just your opinion, I have mine. Sorry!!!
"I'm out like a fat girl in dodge ball"
ukjohn
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 1283
Joined: 19 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Northern Kentucky

Postby shortsavage » Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:34 pm

You may call this thread pointless, but Longoria could seriously be the top prospect in baseball entering 2007. I believe.
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe WriterWeb Supporter
Posts: 2946
Joined: 25 Aug 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: UC Davis

Postby raiders_umpire » Wed Aug 16, 2006 7:44 pm

I think you guys need to calm down. Quit calling each other names and talk about Longoria. :-°




As far as Longoria goes, I think his impressive year will put him in the top 15 or so in most minors rankings next year. Delmon will definitely be #1 unless he comes up this week and reaches 130 at bats. I would also think Gordon will be #2 hands down. Wood will probably come in at #3 as he has been very good this year when some thought he would falter after his great 05. After that it becomes a bit more fuzzy with 10-12 players including Longoria fighting for the #4 spot. If Longoria continues the next 2 weeks on this plus 1 OPS tear he has been on, I could see him #4 next year even though Upton, Butler, Gonzalez, Bailey, Tulo, Hughes, Maybin, and Pelfrey will or should be up there as well.
Image
raiders_umpire
Moderator
Moderator

User avatar
ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Posts: 27781
Joined: 14 Dec 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: You will be missed, Robert Smeraldo.

Postby winterball22 » Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:26 pm

I think prospects could be discussed all day, and people are going to have different opinions. IE the last poster said Young will definitely be #1 if not called up(it's not definite, it's only an opinion). BA has already dropped him to #2. Baseball is such a mental game, I would rather have Wood or Gordon, then take a chance on Young who could end being another J.Hamilton. Where as other owners would rather have Young. Soo, one guy might have Longoria #1, someone else Gordon etc..it all depends on how you evaluate rookies.
winterball22
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor


Posts: 87
Joined: 27 Jul 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

PreviousNext

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Tuesday, Jul. 29
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

LA Angels at Baltimore
(7:05 pm)
Seattle at Cleveland
(7:05 pm)
Chi White Sox at Detroit
(7:08 pm)
Milwaukee at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Philadelphia at NY Mets
(7:10 pm)
Washington at Miami
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Arizona at Cincinnati
(7:10 pm)
Toronto at Boston
(7:10 pm)
Colorado at Chi Cubs
(8:05 pm)
NY Yankees at Texas
(8:05 pm)
Oakland at Houston
(8:10 pm)
Minnesota at Kansas City
(8:10 pm)
Atlanta at LA Dodgers
(10:10 pm)
St. Louis at San Diego
(10:10 pm)
Pittsburgh at San Francisco
(10:15 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact