Is Evan Longoria the No. 1 Prospect? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Is Evan Longoria the No. 1 Prospect?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Is Evan Longoria the top prospect in the minors?

Yes
3
13%
No
20
87%
 
Total votes : 23

Postby shortsavage » Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:36 pm

Webster11 wrote:
shortsavage wrote:You really think even Jose Tabata is a better prospect than Longoria right now?

I'll take Jay Bruce and Justin Upton, but I don't think I'm in the minority if I call saying that Tabata is a better prospect than Longoria a little crazy - and I own Tabata, not Longoria, in my dynasty league.

Hehe, it's a hard knock life, and you don't pass my credibility test if you're going to stick to your guns on that.


And I dont think Im in the minority saying that calling Longoria the #1 prospect is a little crazy. Everyone has their own opionions when it comes to prospects, they are by no means a sure thing and everyones different opinions is what makes it interesting


Shoot, I wanted to cut you some slack, but then you misinterpreted my question for a statement in order to defend yourself. Hehe, you're not giving me a ton of reasons to listen to you.
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe WriterWeb Supporter
Posts: 2946
Joined: 25 Aug 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: UC Davis

Postby shortsavage » Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:42 pm

hayseed wrote:
eazyb81 wrote:Three Words: SMALL SAMPLE SIZE

Longoria has certainly been impressive the last two months, but he is still far from being the #1 overall prospect in the game. Let's revisit this a year from now once he has played a good chunk of time above A ball and pitchers have had a chance to adjust to him.


my thoughts exactly.


You could have passed on buying Google stock because they weren't established enough.

This arguement doesn't work for me. If the D-Rays had thought small sample size with Longoria (his 2005 OPS was 789 in college), they may not have him.

I know I'm being really critical here, I'm just trying to break up the conventional thoughts because I think a lot of people could be doing a lot better thinking. I'll stop being so pushy once I get a better idea about who knows what they are talking about and who I should carry around a salt shaker for.
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe WriterWeb Supporter
Posts: 2946
Joined: 25 Aug 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: UC Davis

Postby Webster11 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:47 pm

shortsavage wrote:
Webster11 wrote:
shortsavage wrote:You really think even Jose Tabata is a better prospect than Longoria right now?

I'll take Jay Bruce and Justin Upton, but I don't think I'm in the minority if I call saying that Tabata is a better prospect than Longoria a little crazy - and I own Tabata, not Longoria, in my dynasty league.

Hehe, it's a hard knock life, and you don't pass my credibility test if you're going to stick to your guns on that.


And I dont think Im in the minority saying that calling Longoria the #1 prospect is a little crazy. Everyone has their own opionions when it comes to prospects, they are by no means a sure thing and everyones different opinions is what makes it interesting


Shoot, I wanted to cut you some slack, but then you misinterpreted my question for a statement in order to defend yourself. Hehe, you're not giving me a ton of reasons to listen to you.


Well you asked the question and created the poll, I was the 2nd person to vote on the poll and the first person had voted that Longoria was the best prospect in baseball, so I thought the chances were pretty good that you thought he was the best prospect in baseball. If you didnt vote that he was the #1 prospect then I apologize youre not crazy :-b .

Just a few questions then - Where does Longoria rank on your prospect list, and do you really think its crazy that before Longorias promotion and success and Tabatas injury I rated Tabata higher?
Image
Webster11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1110
Joined: 8 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby shortsavage » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:01 pm

It's not crazy to have Tabata higher before Longoria got called up to AA. To throw that out now isn't that credible, though. Your thoughts were clearly outdated. And to attempt to defend that outdated position shows stubborness - which usually inhibits learning. That's all I'm saying.

I put you in the hot seat. Don't worry, Jose Reyes will have another stellar game before long and I'll invest more into your thoughts. I can tell you have a good amount of knowledge.
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe WriterWeb Supporter
Posts: 2946
Joined: 25 Aug 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: UC Davis

Postby Webster11 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:14 pm

While I agree its pointless to debate whether Tabata or Longoria was the better prospect before the injury and promotion, im trying to point out that my conclusion of Tabata on the list of prospects Id put over Longoria was not without reason. Since then Tabatas stock has dropped slightly while Longorias has risen rapidly, but I havent had the time to think it over and re analyze the two players so I just ran some names that I knew I had over Longoria on my most recent list.

Anyways you never answered my questions, im not just trying to stir the pot but I actually want to hear who you would rank over Longoria at this point if you dont actually think hes the #1 prospect. Im always interested in hearing others opinions on prospects
Image
Webster11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar

Posts: 1110
Joined: 8 Apr 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby shortsavage » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:34 pm

I have Delmon Young over Longoria, but that's it.

Longoria is just six months older than Billy Butler, about six months younger than Brandon Wood, and almost a year and a half younger than Alex Gordon, yet he has been better than all of them at the same level.

Maybe I'm being ignorant to park effects - I still have a lot to learn. I could be putting too much stock into Longoria's two amazing months, too. But at this pace he has to start getting consideration as the top prospect in baseball heading into 2007.
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe WriterWeb Supporter
Posts: 2946
Joined: 25 Aug 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: UC Davis

Postby ukjohn » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:45 pm

#1 prospect 8-o

top 20 in my book, not any higher than that

heck, he's 3rd in TB
"I'm out like a fat girl in dodge ball"
ukjohn
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 1283
Joined: 19 May 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Northern Kentucky

Postby shortsavage » Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:23 am

ukjohn wrote:#1 prospect 8-o

top 20 in my book, not any higher than that

heck, he's 3rd in TB


3rd in TB behind who?
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Cafe WriterWeb Supporter
Posts: 2946
Joined: 25 Aug 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: UC Davis

Postby hayseed » Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:44 am

ukjohn wrote:#1 prospect 8-o

top 20 in my book, not any higher than that

heck, he's 3rd in TB


Yeah, he's definitely 2nd in Tampa, behind just Delmon.
Image
hayseed
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 845
Joined: 11 Feb 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby eazyb81 » Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:02 am

shortsavage wrote:
hayseed wrote:
eazyb81 wrote:Three Words: SMALL SAMPLE SIZE

Longoria has certainly been impressive the last two months, but he is still far from being the #1 overall prospect in the game. Let's revisit this a year from now once he has played a good chunk of time above A ball and pitchers have had a chance to adjust to him.


my thoughts exactly.


You could have passed on buying Google stock because they weren't established enough.

This arguement doesn't work for me. If the D-Rays had thought small sample size with Longoria (his 2005 OPS was 789 in college), they may not have him.

I know I'm being really critical here, I'm just trying to break up the conventional thoughts because I think a lot of people could be doing a lot better thinking. I'll stop being so pushy once I get a better idea about who knows what they are talking about and who I should carry around a salt shaker for.


Huh?

HUGE difference between buying stock and ranking a prospect #1 overall. No one is saying he isn't good or couldn't be the #1 prospect in time, but as of right now he doesn't deserve it.

Like I said, get back to me this time next year.
eazyb81
College Coach
College Coach

User avatar

Posts: 236
Joined: 16 Sep 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: At Kauffman Stadium wearing a paper bag over my head.

PreviousNext

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

cron
Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact