Is Evan Longoria the No. 1 Prospect? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Minor League & College Baseball

Is Evan Longoria the No. 1 Prospect?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Is Evan Longoria the top prospect in the minors?

Yes
13%
No
87%

Total votes : 23

Is Evan Longoria the No. 1 Prospect?

Postby shortsavage » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:01 pm

Evan Longoria, 20, put up an OPS of 1366 in 33 A- at bats. He then went on to post a 1020 OPS in 110 A+ at bats. And now (8/14) he has a 1143 OPS in 37 AA at bats.

With this amazing tear - I think he had his one bad weekend when he came to play UC Davis back in April - and a good chance that the Long Beach State grad has a future at second base, has Evan Longoria become baseball's No. 1 prospect?
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Webster11 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:23 pm

Hes been great, no doubt, but its still a very limited amount of at bats to elevate him to the #1 overall prospect. He definetely has climbed up my rankings but there are still a bunch of guys Id rank above Longoria at this point
Webster11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby shortsavage » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:25 pm

Webster11 wrote:Hes been great, no doubt, but its still a very limited amount of at bats to elevate him to the #1 overall prospect. He definetely has climbed up my rankings but there are still a bunch of guys Id rank above Longoria at this point

Like who?
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby Amatter32 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:30 pm

Young, Wood, Gordon for hitters
Amatter32
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Webster11 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:43 pm

shortsavage wrote:
Webster11 wrote:Hes been great, no doubt, but its still a very limited amount of at bats to elevate him to the #1 overall prospect. He definetely has climbed up my rankings but there are still a bunch of guys Id rank above Longoria at this point

Like who?

Gordon, Butler, Maybin, Bruce, Wood, Gonzalez, Upton, Tabata, Hughes Bailey
Webster11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby shortsavage » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:50 pm

You really think even Jose Tabata is a better prospect than Longoria right now?

I'll take Jay Bruce and Justin Upton, but I don't think I'm in the minority if I call saying that Tabata is a better prospect than Longoria a little crazy - and I own Tabata, not Longoria, in my dynasty league.

Hehe, it's a hard knock life, and you don't pass my credibility test if you're going to stick to your guns on that.
shortsavage
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterWeb Supporter

Postby rmande09 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:05 pm

Longoria would rank around 10-12 on my list, at least for now. If he continues this ridiculous pace, he'll probably continue to climb into the top 7.
C: Pierzynski
1B: Pujols
2B: Altuve
3B: Miggy
SS: HanRam
OF (x3): CarGo, M. Bourn, D. Jennings
UTIL (x2): E. Encarnacion, C. Hart
BN: Cuddyer, C. Ross, J. Montero

SP: Price, Gallardo, T. Hudson, Lester
RP: Chapman, Jansen, Rodney, Putz, Cishek, Bailey
rmande09
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby eazyb81 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:50 pm

Three Words: SMALL SAMPLE SIZE

Longoria has certainly been impressive the last two months, but he is still far from being the #1 overall prospect in the game. Let's revisit this a year from now once he has played a good chunk of time above A ball and pitchers have had a chance to adjust to him.
eazyb81
College Coach
College Coach

Location: At Kauffman Stadium wearing a paper bag over my head.

Postby Webster11 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:58 pm

shortsavage wrote:You really think even Jose Tabata is a better prospect than Longoria right now?

I'll take Jay Bruce and Justin Upton, but I don't think I'm in the minority if I call saying that Tabata is a better prospect than Longoria a little crazy - and I own Tabata, not Longoria, in my dynasty league.

Hehe, it's a hard knock life, and you don't pass my credibility test if you're going to stick to your guns on that.

And I dont think Im in the minority saying that calling Longoria the #1 prospect is a little crazy. Everyone has their own opionions when it comes to prospects, they are by no means a sure thing and everyones different opinions is what makes it interesting

I might not rank Tabata over Longoria after Tabatas injury and Longorias continued hot play, but the last time I updated my prospect list Tabata was in front of Longoria

I was dissapointed that I missed Jose Reyes 3 HR game, but damn now I might not pass shortsavages credibility test, is there even a reason to get up tommorrow morning? ;-7
Last edited by Webster11 on Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:27 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Webster11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby hayseed » Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:10 pm

eazyb81 wrote:Three Words: SMALL SAMPLE SIZE

Longoria has certainly been impressive the last two months, but he is still far from being the #1 overall prospect in the game. Let's revisit this a year from now once he has played a good chunk of time above A ball and pitchers have had a chance to adjust to him.

my thoughts exactly.
hayseed
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Mock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Minor League & College Baseball