a soriano's future contract - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

a soriano's future contract

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

a soriano's future contract

Postby dougbies » Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:46 pm

judging that soriano is having an amazing year, what type of offers are you expecting him to get in the offseason? how many years, how many $s, and to what possible teams?
dougbies
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Zito is God » Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:55 pm

Outside of the Yankees and red Sox I don't really know who else has the money to give him that he will be looking for. Unless he takes a paycut to stay in WAS (I personally believe he was lying about that for good image purposes) I can't really see who takes him with these types of stats.

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby giants! » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:15 pm

He will get in the nieghborhood of 5Y/75M or 6Yr/90M
giants!
General Manager
General Manager

Postby George_Foreman » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:50 pm

Yep. And someone is going to regret that about 2-3 years from now (if not before >_<)
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Esen » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:11 pm

I can picture the Mets affording him, and they have a need for 2 b.

Personally I think he despises the Nationals and when all is said and done and it is time to sign he will be like cya.
~Erik
Esen
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 6)

Postby brandnew » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:19 pm

I could see the Mets giving him 6/90 and Zito 5/75 and calling it an offseason. IIRC they have a lot of money coming off the books this year as well.
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby Havok1517 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:08 pm

brandnew wrote:I could see the Mets giving him 6/90 and Zito 5/75 and calling it an offseason. IIRC they have a lot of money coming off the books this year as well.

Yeah, that sounds about right. I know the Giants could afford Soriano with all the money they have off the books after this season. There are also many teams that could afford him with a some extra money given by their owners. The Cards could with some payroll increase and the Astros could afford him with the leaving of Petitte & Clemens. I doubt Toronto would pay that much but 2B is obviously a weakness for them. But I think the Mets & Giants are the best bets. Though, any team has to assure him he'll be playing 2B.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 122)

Postby gforce1124 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:54 pm

i sure hope he doesnt come to the mets. i think whoever gets him will overpay and will be seeing numbers more like last years. plus he boots the ball all around the infield. not worth it, i'd much rather have carlos lee. beltran, lee and milledge next year? i'll take it! and does anyone else think 15 mill for zito is crazy?
gforce1124
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Broncmet724 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:56 pm

Oh god, if the Mets sign him for 2b that would be bad, very bad. The defense on that side of the infield would be atrocious. If I remember, and I am too lazy to check right now, most of his numbers come from the leadoff spot which the Mets don't need because of Reyes. If we signed him to play LF that's one thing.

Ok, I checked. Career avg .280/.320/.500 33HR 94RBI 34SB. He also averaged appx 20 E's a year at 2B, up till this year of course.

With all that said, I pass, based on attitude and defense. Let someone else deal with the headache he'll become in a year, or two, or three.
Broncmet724 Beginner
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby brandnew » Tue Aug 15, 2006 11:57 pm

I don't think Soriano gives a damn about playing 2B. It's just that when he's putting up his numbers at 2B, he's worth a LOT more money. So if the Mets come and say, hey we're signing Kazuo Matsui, this stud japanese FA who we think can come in and give us some great 30/30 years, but we'll give you the same amount of money to play LF more than the Giants will give you to play 2B, he'll be all for it. As long as he's getting the green, I think he's happy.
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers