Howie K - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Howie K

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Howie K

Postby rjforlife » Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:31 pm

im wondering why everyone is so high on howie, keeping him in 12 team leagues with 6 keepers and such. he is a nice young prospect who has hit very well in his first 120+ abs, but what worries me is the lack of other stats. 1 Hr, 4 SB, 13 Runs, and 14 RBI in 122 abs is really not too impressive. are the runs and rbi low because he was hitting low in the order to begin the year or what? because with a 336 avg in 122 abs 13 runs is very low.

so is this guy being kept in leagues like that because of what he is expected to do, or are people content with his current production and a full year of this is worth that kind of value.
rjforlife
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter
(Past Year: 740)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby George_Foreman » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:04 pm

The R and RBI are a product of hitting 8th or 9th in the order for most of those 122 ABs. And if you want to look for power, check out his 12 doubles. 13XBH in 122 ABs is pretty good, no? Anyhow, he's young, and he's hitting doubles. That means HRs down the road are a distinct possibilty. Next year, don't look for more than 15-20 HRs, but 20-30 SBs isn't unlikely. And if he's hitting .330, how can you complane? ;-)
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Webster11 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:14 pm

George_Foreman wrote:The R and RBI are a product of hitting 8th or 9th in the order for most of those 122 ABs. And if you want to look for power, check out his 12 doubles. 13XBH in 122 ABs is pretty good, no? Anyhow, he's young, and he's hitting doubles. That means HRs down the road are a distinct possibilty. Next year, don't look for more than 15-20 HRs, but 20-30 SBs isn't unlikely. And if he's hitting .330, how can you complane? ;-)

Ya his RBI and runs are a product of his spot in the lineup. in the future he doesnt project to be an elite power hitter or basestealer but the doubles along with his good speed should create good runs and rbis . In the future your probably going to be looking at numbers similar to Jeters
Webster11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby George_Foreman » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:49 pm

Interesting comparisson. I always though Ichiro was a good comp, but I might like the Jeter one more.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Postby d18Mike » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:38 pm

There is a thread on this in Player updates. This year I think he is essentially Placido Polanco in an Angels uniform. He sports a very empty (from a FB standpoint) .300 BA -- no power, speed or RBI production. Batting order issue? Perhaps. But no pity points in FB.

He's a great future player. No question about it. His value this year appears somewhat limted vs the hype. To be fair, you can say that about a lot of rookies.
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Kingctb27 » Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:46 am

d18Mike wrote:There is a thread on this in Player updates. This year I think he is essentially Placido Polanco in an Angels uniform. He sports a very empty (from a FB standpoint) .300 BA -- no power, speed or RBI production. Batting order issue? Perhaps. But no pity points in FB.

He's a great future player. No question about it. His value this year appears somewhat limted vs the hype. To be fair, you can say that about a lot of rookies.

8-o

Have you ever seen his Minor league #'s?
Kingctb27
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle EyeLucky Ladders Champion

Postby ravenmad22 » Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:18 am

Best comp I have is Tony Gwynn with more power and speed.
ravenmad22
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby bartoates » Wed Aug 16, 2006 4:26 am

I've heard the Paul Molitor comparison as well...so that makes Jeter, Gwynn, Molitor, Ichiro and Placido Polanco. :-b
bartoates
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Niffoc4 » Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:54 am

Having owned both for most of the year, I have to say that Polanco is basically his worst case scenario, and right now the only Polanco you can compare him to is the post-Phillies Polanco of last year (not the one of this year who doesn't score runs olr hit anything other than singles).
Niffoc4
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby d18Mike » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:20 am

Not saying that Kendrick is going to be Polanco through his career -- of course not. That's absurd. What I am saying is that thus far he has a pretty empty 300 average. Very little in the way of power, Runs, RBIs -- modest speed. I'm not paying for hype and potential in a non-keeper with 6 weeks to go.
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers