Finding lost car keys - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Finding lost car keys

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Finding lost car keys

Postby RugbyD » Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:51 pm

ever have something important that you lost? remember when that evil gnome made off with your glasses or car keys? Well imagine that you are a big organization with important things to do. You would make sure to keep track of your most prized historical possessions, right? I mean, its not like Moses was absent-minded with the 10 commandments, right? Many small stores proudly cement their 1st dollar earned on the wall behind the register. Its an important part of history. Scrooge McDuck had his #1 dime in a place where he always knew where it would be (in theory).

Where does this all lead? Space!

of all things to lose, few are good enough for government work. here's one:

NASA loses original tapes of first moon landing
Aug 15 3:11 PM US/Eastern

NASA no longer knows the whereabouts of the original tapes of man's first landing on the moon nearly 40 years ago, an official of the US space agency said.

"NASA is searching for the original tapes of the Apollo 11 spacewalk on July 21, 1969," said Ed Campion, a spokesman for NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center in Greenbelt, Maryland, a Washington suburb.

The tapes record the famous declaration of Apollo astronaut Neil Armstrong, the first man on the moon, as he set foot on its surface: "That's one small step for man; one giant leap for mankind."

The original tapes could be somewhere at the Goddard center or in the archives network of the National Aeronautics and Space Administration, Campion said.

The search for the tapes began about a year and a half ago when the Goddard Space Flight Center's authorities realized they no longer knew where they were after retired employees asked to consult them.

Armstrong, the first human to walk on the moon, was the commander of the first US lunar mission aboard the Apollo 11 capsule, with astronauts Buzz Aldrin and Michael Collins.

His landing on the moon's surface on July 21, 1969, was watched by millions of television viewers worldwide.

The original tapes of the Apollo 11 mission were recorded at three tracking stations: Goldstone in California and Honeysuckle Creek Tracking Station and Parkes Observatory in Australia.

They were then sent to the Goddard Space Flight Center, which transferred them to the National Archives in late 1969. Later, NASA asked to recover the tapes and that is where the trace disappeared.

"A search is being planned, aimed at finding what happened to the Goddard-recalled Apollo 11 mission data tapes," Campion said.

The search effort involves sifting through 30-year old records and contacting retired Goddard personnel, he added.
TennCare rocks!!!!
RugbyD
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe Ranker
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby teddy ballgame » Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:55 pm

Saw this on the news this morning. You'd think that they'd have that thing in a safe or something.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Art Vandelay » Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:10 pm

Very convenient of them to lose all the evidence of their "moon" landing.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby teddy ballgame » Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:14 pm

Art Vandelay wrote:Very convenient of them to lose all the evidence of their "moon" landing.

It was staged, right? :-°
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Dan Lambskin » Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:17 pm

teddy ballgame wrote:
Art Vandelay wrote:Very convenient of them to lose all the evidence of their "moon" landing.

It was staged, right? :-°

Exactly ;-D

It was all a ploy to keep America from thinking we couldnt contend with Communist Russia
Dan Lambskin
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Mugrila » Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:51 pm

Thats the first thing I thought when I read the article.
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby acsguitar » Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:55 pm

Agreed. We never landed on the moon. How the heck did they fly to the moon and back in that tin can
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby CubsFan7724 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:30 pm

They still have the video footage, you tin foil hat wearing clod. I can't really tell if you are serious or joking. If you are joking, sorry. If you aren't, the comment stands.
CubsFan7724
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Pick 3 Weekly Winner

Postby teddy ballgame » Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:55 pm

CubsFan7724 wrote:

They still have the video footage, you tin foil hat wearing clod. I can't really tell if you are serious or joking. If you are joking, sorry. If you aren't, the comment stands.

That's kinda what I was thinking, but was afraid to start an argument. :-o

Just because they lost it, doesn't mean the video doesn't exist anywhere else, and just because they lost it now doesn't really help any conspiracy theories.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby acsguitar » Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:37 pm

teddy ballgame wrote:
CubsFan7724 wrote:

That's kinda what I was thinking, but was afraid to start an argument. :-o

Just because they lost it, doesn't mean the video doesn't exist anywhere else, and just because they lost it now doesn't really help any conspiracy theories.

Well they could probably do some research on the old tape to determine certain factors about whether it was real or not.

Personally i don't think we landed on the moon
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Next

Return to General Talk