Devil Rays
5%
Giants
5%
Other
5%

Total votes : 59

Postby brandnew » Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:44 pm

Giants are screwed. It's nice to have a ton of cap space, but you need stud young talent to pair with that to build a good club. The Giants have none. Their farm system blows, and the major league roster is bad. Bleak, bleak future with a bad GM at the helm.
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jvmillion83 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:20 pm

Giants will be the worst team in baseball for a few years. They really don't have much of anything.

The Orioles and Royals should compete for the worst team in the AL for awhile.
jvmillion83
College Coach
College Coach

Postby brandnew » Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:30 pm

Au contraire. The Royals have Dayton Moore, and Butler, Gordon, Lubanski, Huber, Teahen, Hochevar, etc. and a few good picks in the upcoming years that I think Dayton will use wisely. ;-D
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby noseeum » Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:34 pm

Giants were pretty hamstrung with their debt service, but I think in a year or two, their finances will be rock solid.

Doesn't excuse everything they've done, but I think keeping Bonds there to fill the seats was their highest priority. The rest was just window dressing.

In terms of financials, they've done a pretty incredible job of fielding a competitive team year in and year out while working off that debt. And props to ownership for fully financing the stadium on their own.

Once done, they'll be in much better shape than teams that don't own their stadiums.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby deerayfan072 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:02 pm

brandnew wrote:Au contraire. The Royals have Dayton Moore, and Butler, Gordon, Lubanski, Huber, Teahen, Hochevar, etc. and a few good picks in the upcoming years that I think Dayton will use wisely. ;-D

Problem is, when it comes time to shell out cash they will trade them to the yankkes or sox, just like beltran, dye, damon, etc etc ....They are like the rays have been, everyones farm system.
deerayfan072
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 31)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby Red Sox Nation » Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:22 pm

I would be VERY suprised if the D-Rays and Royals don't have one of the best farm systems after like 5+ years of having the worst record in baseball.

D-Rays have a lot of talent in their farm system but their pitching sucks (Kazmir is their only plus).

As for the Royals, they too have a lot of talent but probably not as hyped as the D-Rays but like the D-Rays and even worse, their pitching is horrible.
[url=http://omgitspeter.googlepages.com/home]My Graphics[/url]

Red Sox Nation
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Havok1517 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:33 pm

I kinda like Baltimore in a couple years. They have some nice young arms in Penn, Bedard, Erbe, Liz, Loewen, & Ray with some good young offensive guys like Markakis, Majewski, Reimold, and Patterson who seems much better in Baltimore. Adding Hernandez & Tejada to the fray and I can think of a lot worse teams to have in a few years.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 124)

Postby Deuce » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:00 pm

noseeum wrote:Giants were pretty hamstrung with their debt service, but I think in a year or two, their finances will be rock solid.

Doesn't excuse everything they've done, but I think keeping Bonds there to fill the seats was their highest priority. The rest was just window dressing.

In terms of financials, they've done a pretty incredible job of fielding a competitive team year in and year out while working off that debt. And props to ownership for fully financing the stadium on their own.

Once done, they'll be in much better shape than teams that don't own their stadiums.

wrong. Re-visit this post after opening day next year. You can try it again then. I have for several years.
Who couldn't field a competitive team in the NL West. You think just like this ownership group. It is not alright to raise prices to watch this hapless group of talentless nobodys. Picking up one quality player after this season will just continue this mess.Watch how many players jump ship at the end of this year. If this team were any good, some of the FA's would want to stay. None will. Maybe we'll get JT Snow back. He'll play for cheap.
The owners will still get paid. They have the Allstar game next year. For them, this is a financial investment. They don't care about rings. Sure they would love to win, but not at the expense of their financial return. Let's get some ex-players in the ownership group. Maybe they can force Sabean to look for talent, as opposed to who fits the budget.
To the owners: Remember the World Series, everyone got paid extra for that. Let's try it again. But, it takes money to make money. Ask George Steinbrenner.
The glass is neither half full nor half empty... It is simply a glass
Deuce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby sox 06 » Wed Aug 16, 2006 12:00 pm

Yeah my vote is Royals this season and the Giants for the future. Also I don't think the Cubs have a very solid lineup, especailly with Derek Lee hurting.
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby ukrneal » Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:01 pm

Strange, I would think the Giants would be good (or at least ok) post-Bonds. I look at it this way. They are doing ok now (not great, but alive) and they will free up a lot of money after this year. Bonds isn't doing a whole lot right now anyway, so I just don't see the big deal when they lose him. And when they get rid of a few more of those dinosaurs, they could be great. So I'm not quite as down as some here I guess. They may not win the division or anything, but they have enough talent not to be at the bottom either.

I would think Cincinnati would be a good candidate here. They have overachieved this year and I would expect a huge fall next year unless they continue to make changes.
ukrneal
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers