(Rollins) Has anyone noticed... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

(Rollins) Has anyone noticed...

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby Splendid61 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:02 pm

MMoNeY24, I agree Rollins will likely be good for the rest of year. I'm not recommending giving up on him, but I would take Carlos Guillen over him in a keeper (based on consistency when healthy and the ability to put up numbers in every single category).

Splendid61
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby StudentOfTheGame » Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:39 pm

Splendid61 wrote:MMoNeY24, I agree Rollins will likely be good for the rest of year. I'm not recommending giving up on him, but I would take Carlos Guillen over him in a keeper (based on consistency when healthy and the ability to put up numbers in every single category).

I would rather have Rollins over Guillen any day....More runs scored, more stolen bases, more upside...I don't know about most of you guys but I need alot of SBs out of my SS...I can get RBI and average elsewhere.
StudentOfTheGame
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Splendid61 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:14 pm

Despite Rollins' recent power surge, Carlos Guillen is still slaughtering him in OPS, .884 to .814.

Guillen contributes across the board, he's on pace for 24 SBs.

It comes down to what you need, but I would trade +30 runs and +12 SBs (Rollins) for +30 batting average points, +25 RBIs, and month-to-month consistency (Guillen).

I know consistency isn't too important in Roto, but with inconsistent players there's always the risk that the hot streak never comes (see Geoff Jenkins this year).

Splendid61
College Coach
College Coach

Postby StudentOfTheGame » Tue Aug 15, 2006 5:59 pm

Consistancy? What are you basing this on? Guillen has had only two good seasons including this one. Yes, he has been consistant this season, but overall his career numbers are not that impressive...Going on career averages, Guillen is only 10 points higher than Rollins in BA...Also, this is a career year for him in terms of stolen bases, so you can't argue that he is a consistant base stealer....He is injury prone, and is by no means a sure thing.

Rollins has played in atleast 150 games the last 5 seasons, and he will probably reach that mark again this year. Since '04 Rollins has been a .280-.290 hitter with an average of 30+ SBs and 115 runs and now he has added some power to his game...

I would love to play in a league with someone who would take Guillen over Jimmy Rollins.
StudentOfTheGame
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Splendid61 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:55 pm

Guillen was consistent on a month-to-month basis in his 2004 breakout season, the same consistency he has shown this year. Injuries sidelined much of his 2005 campaign, but he still batted .320. He's matured into a much different player than he was before his 2004 breakout, so you can't reliably use his career averages. His 2004-2006 3-year average is well over .300.

You are correct that this is his first year really stealing alot of bases. But once again, Guillen has be consistent there this season, 3 straight months with 4 SBs and already 3 SBs halfway through this month.

Considering Guillen has played in 114 of the Tigers' 118 games this year and is stealing bases at a career rate, it is safe to assume his past injury woes are behind him. Wasn't it Rollins that had some hamstring problems just a couple weeks ago?

Splendid61
College Coach
College Coach

Postby noseeum » Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:00 pm

StudentOfTheGame wrote:Consistancy? What are you basing this on? Guillen has had only two good seasons including this one. Yes, he has been consistant this season, but overall his career numbers are not that impressive...Going on career averages, Guillen is only 10 points higher than Rollins in BA...Also, this is a career year for him in terms of stolen bases, so you can't argue that he is a consistant base stealer....He is injury prone, and is by no means a sure thing.

Rollins has played in atleast 150 games the last 5 seasons, and he will probably reach that mark again this year. Since '04 Rollins has been a .280-.290 hitter with an average of 30+ SBs and 115 runs and now he has added some power to his game...

I would love to play in a league with someone who would take Guillen over Jimmy Rollins.

I think he meant streaky, and you have to admit Rollins is that. He'll get his numbers in the end, but in head to head, he was a liability for a decent stretch there.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby djacks » Thu Aug 17, 2006 11:33 am

I for one would take Rollins over Guillen any day!

I traded Jerad Weaver, Jhonny Peralta, and a 4th round pick for Rollins and Papelbon in my keeper two or three weeks ago. I couldn't be happier with Rollins. Sure he'll be streaky...some people say the same thing about Utley...but I'd take him any day too!
"Every government interference in the economy consists of giving an unearned benefit, extorted by force, to some men at the expense of others."-Ayn Rand
djacks
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers