Draft Strategy - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Draft Strategy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Draft Strategy

Postby Philly_05 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:50 am

Okay my buddy an I are talking about draft ideas he came up with this idea I think it's just silly but he refuses to agree with me..

Say you start a new league an draft 10 SS.. And say all those SS are top 10. So no one else in the league has a SS worth anything. Well he thinks he could then turn around an trade all these SS to teams in great need for a SS an have a stacked team and win the league.

I think this is just silly. Why would other owners who draft there team like normal an say only have the one hole at SS. Trade to a team with say 5 holes because he drafted 10 SS. He says oh that would be collusion if everyone didn't trade for these SS. I'm like no that would be common sense. Why help out the guy who has all these holes when you just have one so he can have a stacked team then.

He's like you just don't understand it's a game theory thing. I just think it's dumb. Imo any person smart enough to see what was going on would not help the team with SS. Just find another option at SS. An the other team could not win because they couldn't trade these SS they had. What do you guys think?
Philly_05
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Response Team
(Past Year: 537)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby spacehamster01 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:13 am

Thats complete nonsense. If a guy were to do that theyd be a complete idiot. I don't think everyone would trade high for a SS, theyd just sit back and laugh at the guy who screwed himself over. It could technically work, but the fact that you need to agree with trades with all these other guys and everything, itd take too long and by the time you actually have a lineup that can start at every position, you'd have lost too many weeks, or not been able to gain enough stats to even catch up.
spacehamster01
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Snakes Gould » Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:49 am

its extremely stupid, but there are still plenty of SS to own and if no one made a trade with him, he would be guarenteed a L...also....i would imagine he couldnt get every SS he wanted...lets say he had taken 6 SS's right off the bat...well, if im sittin in a position to draft furcal or rollins i still could...this idea is idiotic and i think hes just messing around....

SIGS!

Shane Victorino wrote:“We keep fighting,” Victorino said. “We keep plugging along.”
Snakes Gould
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 65)

Postby ukrneal » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:06 am

Personally, I would encourage him to try it...with someone else!

Actually, lots of people try it and it doesn't work (they just don't go that extreme). This year, that would mean drafting: Tejada, Young, Jeter, Reyes, Lopez, Rollins, Furcal, Peralta, Lugo, and BArmes (or maybe Crosby, anyway, doesn't matter). That leaves so many good SS that could have been had for cheap!! Includes: Ramirez, Renteria, Vizquel, Guillen, Hall, Sanchez, Cabrera, etc. That's already seven.

Plus, to get all those top guys is next to impossible anyway. Tell him to put his money where his mouth is and bet him.
ukrneal
General Manager
General Manager

Postby mak1277 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:06 am

The biggest problem is that his premise is based on getting full value (or even more than full value) for his SS's. In reality, when you deal from a position of great strength like that, you end up having to overpay to get what you really need.

Think about it this way, whatever SS he drafts in the 4th round...he's never going to be able to trade that guy for someone with real 4th round value.

In short, retarded strategy.
mak1277
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 5)

Postby Diamond Miners » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:15 am

1. If I were drafting in the league and by the third round when he took his 3rd SS, I would probably jump on 1 in the 4th round...or not worry about it knowing full well every other team is in the same boat as me and just find one that will keep my avg high but not in the top 10 (even though I'm sure other teams will jump on a SS before he can, so it won't be top 10).

2. I've actaully done this with Ps before. (just to name a few)
SP = Santana, Oswalt, Liriano, Zambrano, Schilling, Mussina,
RP = Rivera, Lidge, Ryan, Wagner, Street, Shields, C.Ray

I ended up trading for Miggy Cabrera who has a .337 batting avg. 5x5, h2h league.

So I win W, SV, K 100% of the time. And most of the time I win AVG, ERA and WHIP. So that's 6 of the 10 categories, and I'm perfectly fine with going 6-4 every week. I might not be in first place but I'll make the playoffs seeded in the middle but every team is afraid to play me quite frankly because of my plan. Though for this strategy you have to keep up with the hot pitchers to prevent anybody from picking them up to keep your lead in pitching. Not as easy as it sounds but its worked for me.
Diamond Miners
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Pogotheostrich » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:09 am

This is a really bad idea. He has no leverage when making trades. Everyone would know his team is screwed if he can't unload and since he has all the top SS no team in contention would really have an edge on other contending teams at SS.
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 455)

Postby BitterDodgerFan » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:27 am

sorry but ur friend is a dumbass
BitterDodgerFan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:16 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:This is a really bad idea. He has no leverage when making trades. Everyone would know his team is screwed if he can't unload and since he has all the top SS no team in contention would really have an edge on other contending teams at SS.

Agreed. ;-D

Well, SS is just one position. You can build a team around one or two positional holes really and the rest of your squad is relatively stacked. Besides, if you can get a cheap SS, let's say, Stephen Drew or B.J. Upton at a pre-draft Hanley Ramirez price in a redraft, then odds are you'll hold the fort at the position. It's to his detriment that he's passing up quality for a player that's supposedly one of the tops at a supposed shallow SS position (when in reality, it's deeper). So, drafting Rafael Furcal doesn't make much sense when you could've had Carlos Lee, for instance. It's just an impractical strategy.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 452)

Postby noseeum » Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:30 pm

This is just like people overloaded with SPs who reach their innings pitched limit.

If a player is useless to you, (as is the case here. 8 of 10 SS would have to be on the bench because you could only place them at SS and U), the other owner knows that and will force you to trade at a loss.

Impossibly dumb idea.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers