office or other software? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

office or other software?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

office or other software?

Postby free » Tue Aug 15, 2006 1:53 am

what is the most recommended MS office software and where is the cheapest place to buy it :-?
Member #3 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club
free
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:25 am

open office. pretty much the same as MS office and its free. i think the major difference is that open office doesnt have an outlook like email program.
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby SaintsOfTheDiamond » Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:20 pm

j_d_mcnugent wrote:open office. pretty much the same as MS office and its free. i think the major difference is that open office doesnt have an outlook like email program.

Couldn't agree more. The only catch is I've found some of the complex "programming" people do in Excel (if .. then statements etc) don't seem to work as well as some macro functionality but those are extraneous things that don't really come up all *that* often. With OO.o you can open any type of MS document (.doc, .xls, .ppt) as well as save any file you create into one of those formats so you can open them at school, work, etc. And the best part is it's free to use and pass along to anyone you want. ;-D
Member #4 of the Inaugural Yadier Molina Fan Club!!!
SaintsOfTheDiamond
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Fantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe Ranker

Postby acsguitar » Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:36 pm

j_d_mcnugent wrote:open office. pretty much the same as MS office and its free. i think the major difference is that open office doesnt have an outlook like email program.

Agreed...Outlook is worthless IMO. Use thunderbird or another opensource thing.

Opensource = Free and awesome
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby duckmonkey » Wed Aug 16, 2006 9:31 am

You hit it on the head. ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D ;-D
duckmonkey
College Coach
College Coach

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Wed Aug 16, 2006 10:08 am

SaintsOfTheDiamond wrote:Couldn't agree more. The only catch is I've found some of the complex "programming" people do in Excel (if .. then statements etc) don't seem to work as well as some macro functionality but those are extraneous things that don't really come up all *that* often.

thats my experience as well. i've had the occasional powerpoint transition not work exactly as planned in impress or whatever its called but it wasnt a big deal. open office makes up for it with a couple features that MS doesnt have like the ability to convert to pdf. for work i'd rather be safe and go with M$, but for personal or school purposes open office makes a whole lot more sense.
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby echu888 » Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:02 pm

also, some people may like the convenience of Writely and google spreadsheets. Of course, not as powerful as a native app, but I love not really having to keep track of whether my documents are are work or at home, etc.
echu888 Beginner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Coppermine » Fri Aug 18, 2006 3:29 pm

echu888 wrote:also, some people may like the convenience of Writely and google spreadsheets. Of course, not as powerful as a native app, but I love not really having to keep track of whether my documents are are work or at home, etc.

I use Google Spreadsheets and I don't find them very easy to use or powerful, but all the basic features are a little more transparent than excel. I use for some spreadsheets that I may update from different places, like my coveted Beer Log (a log of all the different beers I've tried and details about them).
If you're a battery, you're either working or you're dead....
Coppermine
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to General Talk