Flying Horror Stories!! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

Flying Horror Stories!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Flying Horror Stories!!

Postby acsguitar » Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:14 pm

So I've tried to get better at flying and I am. I hate it considering my Dad is a Plane crash investigator for the government. But anyways I've done two flight in the past 2 months and with the help of Xanax I've been pretty calm.

Last night coming back from vegas was horrible.

The whole flight was a little choppy but nothing that bad.

Then we get to Denver. I hear the ding dong sound and look up to see the flight attendant pick up the phone and face not look to happy.

Then the announcement comes "We are gonna have everyone sit down early here cause its gonna be a bumpy landing."

Lets just say it was really bumping..>REALLY bumpy. The plane was bouncing left and right up and down like crazy for like 20 minutes. We were in pattern for a long time decended to 7000 feet (only 1,800 feet off the runway. Hit huge airpockets and went back up to 10,000 and circled a little more.

Lightning was shooting all around the plane.

Ill worst time ever...I seriously was freaked out...The whole back of the airplane started clapping when we landed. :-t
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Absolutely Adequate » Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:25 pm

It's not quite the same thing, but I think I can tell an airplane horror story.

A few years ago, I was heading to South Africa for a couple of months with my then-girlfriend. We had taken all the precautions - we had walkie talkies, tazers, we'd had our malaria medications.

We had a layover in Amsterdam for 18 hours. That was nice. But then came the flight south.

My ex, sitting next to me, started feeling sick. The malaria medication had hit her hard. She filled 10 vomit bags. The plane stunk. Then we hit the turbulance. People were praying aloud. The flight attendants later told me it was the worst flight they'd ever had.

We got to see our first view of South Africa from the back of the ambulance on the way to the hospital.
Absolutely Adequate
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe RankerMock(ing) Drafter

Postby Big Pimpin » Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:28 pm

I remember I was flying from Yakima WA to either Portland OR or Seattle one time (can't remember which) in one of those tiny prop commuter planes. It's only a 45 minute flight or something but you have to fly over the Cascade Mountains. Anyway, we're cruising along just fine when we hit some pocket and immediately drop straight down like 1000 feet.

It wasn't prolonged turbulence or anything, but it was probably the scariest moment of my life. I was sure we were all going to die.
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby Art Vandelay » Mon Aug 14, 2006 5:41 pm

I had one flight from Minneapolis to Dulles where we took off in a thunderstorm and for over half the flight the turbulence was ridiculous. I didn't mind it...it's like a roller coaster ride kind of, but other people were getting sick and freaking out.

Another flight into Dulles I don't know what the pilot did wrong, but after a really rough landing he comes on the freaking intercom and says "uh oh...looks like we're about out of runway. Hold on. Whoa horsey!" Then he whipped the damn thing sideways and basically power-slid to a stop. I don't know if he didn't realize the intercom was on or what, but I really didn't need to know what was going on as it was happening...would have been much happier remaining ignorant.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby teddy ballgame » Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:17 pm

I was on this one flight from Sydney to LA. Oceanic airlines. We got knocked off course, and started heading towards Figi, when some Irish freak on this island forgot to push the button. The back end of the plane ripped off in mid air. The rest of the plane crashed on this tropical island with polar bears. Turns out, the back end of the plane crahsed on the same island. Anyways, so there were these other people on the island...oh wait. :-? :-°
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Omaha Red Sox » Mon Aug 14, 2006 6:52 pm

Worst flight story?

I was riding my bike really fast and noticed I was coming up on a dropoff, a wall, so I slammed on my breaks and flew over the handlebars and over the dropoff. Pretty hard fall. Didn't break anything, but that flight really sucked.

No bad stories of airplane travels. Though I did manage to run from one end of Miami Int. to the other in 5 minutes, with all my luggage in tow. Close call that was.
Omaha Red Sox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye
(Past Year: 7)
Home Cafe: Football

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:12 pm

teddy ballgame wrote:I was on this one flight from Sydney to LA. Oceanic airlines. We got knocked off course, and started heading towards Figi, when some Irish freak on this island forgot to push the button. The back end of the plane ripped off in mid air. The rest of the plane crashed on this tropical island with polar bears. Turns out, the back end of the plane crahsed on the same island. Anyways, so there were these other people on the island...oh wait. :-? :-°

I know someone, I think her name is Evangeline, who had an extremely similar story as yours, but it can't be the same flight.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby pokerplaya » Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:19 pm

I'm flying in 3 days...gotta love this thread.... :-[ :-b
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:27 pm

A few fun flying horror stories:

Going through heavy turbulence flying into rainy, bleak Pittsburgh.

It's exactly 4 years ago today that I flew to London, flying on Virgin Atlantic. Now I'm 6' 2"-6' 3" ish, and I felt that the legroom was sub-par and the same could be said from the aisleway separating window seating and aisle seating. I was pretty tired, considering this was a 10-hour red-eye. Every time I just happened to doze off to sleep, my arm would slump over the armrest and on the way, I'd find my hand groping or spanking the same stewardess' bum. I swear. Each time, I was saying, "Sorry, accident" or something to that effect. Meanwhile, the turbulence was so bad, as I believe we were flying with the jetstream over Canada, so bad that I couldn't catch any sleep. But anyway, when it was time for breakfast, that stewardess bitch didn't serve my entire row including me, breakfast. The funny thing is the whole row is either a minority or American while everyone else is British. So when I landed in Heathrow, I filed a complaint with Virgin, probably risking sexual harassment charges, and hey, I got the benefit of the doubt and got a free ticket and no charges filed. All ended up well, but I'll never fly Virgin again even if Sir Richard Branson himself begged me...but if he could give me half of his empire, I'll take that and be a proud sellout.

3 years ago, I was in a flight bound for Washington D.C. and the landing was delayed because we were flying during a severe thunderstorm. Lots of lightning and there was just a second when the lights went out and it felt like the plane was dropping. When I looked out the window, I could've sworn I had seen some white smoke on the wing. But it was nothing and we landed without a hitch. I thought we were all going to die at that point, but I knew we would be okay.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby teddy ballgame » Mon Aug 14, 2006 9:51 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:
teddy ballgame wrote:I was on this one flight from Sydney to LA. Oceanic airlines. We got knocked off course, and started heading towards Figi, when some Irish freak on this island forgot to push the button. The back end of the plane ripped off in mid air. The rest of the plane crashed on this tropical island with polar bears. Turns out, the back end of the plane crahsed on the same island. Anyways, so there were these other people on the island...oh wait. :-? :-°

I know someone, I think her name is Evangeline, who had an extremely similar story as yours, but it can't be the same flight.

Yeah, she was on the flight. We joined the Mile High Club together. ;-D
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to General Talk