Rank The GMs Of MLB - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rank The GMs Of MLB

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby noseeum » Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:42 pm

More Epstein criticism, from a Red Sox fan even.

Definitely overrated, IMO:
http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/st ... ons/060816

4. Boston
Here's what I like: Big Papi, Manny, Schilling, Papelbon, Youkilis, Lowell and Gonzalez on the left side of the infield; Jon Lester's potential; Wily Mo in any game where the Red Sox are leading or trailing by four runs or more.

Here's what I don't like: Everything else.

Bottom line: They overachieved in the first half because of Papelbon (who was simply out of his mind) and Big Papi (who probably swung 6-7 games in Boston's favor it had no business winning). Now the Sox are underacheiving. It's probably a 92-win team at best. And I could spend the next 3,000 words ranting and raving about the unacceptable performance of the Henry/Theo regime since they won the World Series -- the catastrophic Renteria/Clement signings; lowballing Pedro/Damon, then half-heartedly renewing talks at the last second; overvaluing Beckett (a genuine disappointment) and Crisp (a colossal disappointment); undervaluing their own prospects (Hanley Ramirez and Anibal Sanchez) in the Beckett trade; freezing at this year's trading deadline; dealing Arroyo without knowing about the health of Wells and Foulke; allowing 40-year-old Mike Timlin to pitch in the WBC (he's a walking corpse now); letting Roberts and Cabrera go; handing Beckett that unconscionable $30 million extension (I yelped out loud when I saw the headline); and we haven't even mentioned last winter's soap opera with Theo yet -- but I don't want to ruin my chances of getting a key to the office next season. So let's just say that everyone did a swell job and I fully support every moronic decision that was made. Now where's my key?

(Note: Not to keep bringing up my keeper league, because I wouldn't want you to think that I'm obsessed with it, even though I probably am … but Hench and I had Timlin, Delcarmen AND Hansen on our keeper team this season, and we traded all of them in separate moves last month. Why? BECAUSE WE WATCH BASEBALL! BECAUSE ALL OF THEM SUCK! THAT'S WHY! Really, we're going to war with a one-man bullpen for the next 10 weeks? That's the plan? Good God, I can't wait to have Belichick and Brady back in my life. I want everything to make sense again.)
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager


Posts: 1697
Joined: 1 Mar 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby echrisl » Wed Aug 16, 2006 11:58 pm

RynMan wrote:My top guys in no order:

Schuerholtz
Melvin
Stoneman
Beane
Epstein

Worst GMs:

Jim Bowden
Dan O'Brien (good riddance)


Not sure how Pat Gillick is getting so much love....


Gillick is getting love because no one asked David Wells ... or me.

For the most part I agree with your picks, however, Bavasi also needs to be in the Worst GMs ... no one does less with more than he does.

I also think Andrew Friedman has done a good job so far in a hellacious division with a distinct lack of resources. If he keeps it up, I think he belongs among the top GMs.
Using a key to gouge expletives on another's vehicle is a sign of trust and friendship.
echrisl
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 417
Joined: 19 Feb 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Washington State

Postby Havok1517 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:49 am

Rotoworld

Mark Grudzielanek's contract extension with the Royals is worth $4 million and includes a player option for the 2008 season at $4 million to $4.5 million, depending on plate appearances next year.


I think this move might move the new Royals GM down a few spots. It makes no sense.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe Writer
Posts: 8473
(Past Year: 102)
Joined: 8 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby giants! » Thu Aug 17, 2006 12:53 am

Havok, whats wrong with that move. Grudzilanik is a solid player.
Image
giants!
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2982
Joined: 12 Jul 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Havok1517 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:01 am

giants! wrote:Havok, whats wrong with that move. Grudzilanik is a solid player.


He's 36 right now. He just just got signed till he's 38. Does he have the bat and glove to warrant that type of money from KC at that age? No. There are many other players that have more upside, are younger, and cheaper that will be available or are within the organization (German & Teahen). This pretty much makes the Teahen experiment of playing 2B a no-go. So I think it handicaps the team's growth and offense. I predict Grunz gets hurt and sits on his assured money (ala Bagwell).
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe Writer
Posts: 8473
(Past Year: 102)
Joined: 8 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby giants! » Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:24 am

Havok1517 wrote:
giants! wrote:Havok, whats wrong with that move. Grudzilanik is a solid player.


He's 36 right now. He just just got signed till he's 38. Does he have the bat and glove to warrant that type of money from KC at that age? No. There are many other players that have more upside, are younger, and cheaper that will be available or are within the organization (German & Teahen). This pretty much makes the Teahen experiment of playing 2B a no-go. So I think it handicaps the team's growth and offense. I predict Grunz gets hurt and sits on his assured money (ala Bagwell).


There is a major difference between Bagwell and Grudz. Bagwell was declining every year before his injury forced him to sit and eat up his money. Grudz doesn't show any such decline. 36 is really not that old for a two year contract so thats not a big deal. Grudz is a former shortstop so that is an option, as they can move Teahen to 2b, promote gordon to the big league club, and rid themselves of the piece of garbage known as Angel Berroa. Lastly, 4 million is not a lot of money.
Image
giants!
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 2982
Joined: 12 Jul 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Havok1517 » Thu Aug 17, 2006 1:39 am

giants! wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:
giants! wrote:Havok, whats wrong with that move. Grudzilanik is a solid player.


He's 36 right now. He just just got signed till he's 38. Does he have the bat and glove to warrant that type of money from KC at that age? No. There are many other players that have more upside, are younger, and cheaper that will be available or are within the organization (German & Teahen). This pretty much makes the Teahen experiment of playing 2B a no-go. So I think it handicaps the team's growth and offense. I predict Grunz gets hurt and sits on his assured money (ala Bagwell).


There is a major difference between Bagwell and Grudz. Bagwell was declining every year before his injury forced him to sit and eat up his money. Grudz doesn't show any such decline. 36 is really not that old for a two year contract so thats not a big deal. Grudz is a former shortstop so that is an option, as they can move Teahen to 2b, promote gordon to the big league club, and rid themselves of the piece of garbage known as Angel Berroa. Lastly, 4 million is not a lot of money.


I know he's not 8 Million dollars better than Teahen or German at that age (who make close to the MLB min). Last year as a FA he was looking for the same 2 year 8 million dollar deal and nobody would sign him to it. This is a year later and his numbers have gone down every year but get the exact contract he wanted being a year older. Sorry, no dice. Aside from vet leadership, that could be had much cheaper, this is a bad move. I could understand this move if it was a winning ball club with a decent payroll thats wants to add an above avg player. But this is KC, they are in a rebuilding phase, and signing a 36 year old to assured 2 year extension is counter-productive. Especially with the chronically injured Sweeney on the same roster. :-t
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicCafe Writer
Posts: 8473
(Past Year: 102)
Joined: 8 Mar 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby davidmarver » Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:45 am

giants! wrote:Bagwell was declining every year before his injury forced him to sit and eat up his money. Grudz doesn't show any such decline.

Grudzielanek's AVG, OBP, SLG, OPS, RC/G, GPA, and LD% have all gone down in each of the last three seasons. So, yes, he has shown decline.

And in this day-and-age, sure $4 million doesn't look like much, but this is an organization that can do a heck of a lot more with that four million, like bring in a decent arm, while letting youngsters have their shot at other positions.

Heck, Mike Piazza is only making $1 million this season. The bottom line is, an organization as pinched as the Royals shouldn't be spending $4 million on a .717 OPS 36-year old second-baseman.
Image
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
Posts: 6154
Joined: 11 Jan 2005
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: 5.5 Hole

Postby IllinoisBandit » Thu Aug 17, 2006 3:53 am

Ryan in Minnesota gets my vote for best GM.

Bowden obviously is the worst. The man destroys teams.

Watch out for Ryan's disciple in Cincy.

And I don't count 100+ million dollar payroll GM's (much less 200). You could train a monkey to contend with that money.
IllinoisBandit
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor


Posts: 615
Joined: 29 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby brandnew » Thu Aug 17, 2006 4:00 pm

What is Dayton doing? Grudz?? Use that on an international signee or a high priced draft pick...
Image
brandnew
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 3599
Joined: 8 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The 909!

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: apz, BaezBlasts, Fantasy Sports Genie, germani40, NikkiSixx, wingman3110 and 8 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Thursday, Apr. 17
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Atlanta at Philadelphia
(1:05 pm)
Cleveland at Detroit
(1:08 pm)
Toronto at Minnesota
(1:10 pm)
Seattle at Texas
(2:05 pm)
LA Dodgers at San Francisco
(3:45 pm)
Colorado at San Diego
(6:40 pm)
Milwaukee at Pittsburgh
(7:05 pm)
St. Louis at Washington
(7:05 pm)
NY Yankees at Tampa Bay
(7:10 pm)
indoors
Boston at Chi White Sox
(8:10 pm)
Kansas City at Houston
(8:10 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact