Rank The GMs Of MLB - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Rank The GMs Of MLB

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Rank The GMs Of MLB

Postby jvmillion83 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:22 pm

Thought this could be a fun thread to see everyones take on who the best general manager is out there. I compiled this list and took into account resources, power, playoff performance, etc.

I rated Schuerholtz first because of how long Atlanta was a division winner. I had a tough choice between Walt and Epstein for 2nd and 3rd but Jockety had the longer track record, and has had less resources with this current St Louis team. Epstein deserves at least a top three spot, because he probably is the most active GM in baseball. Even though they have limited resources, Littlefield bombed at the trading deadline to warrant himself a last place spot. Besides Jason Bay and Freddy Sanchez, Littlefield has been unable to produce some flashes of the future.

I know I have some unproven GMs up a little higher than people think. I've been impressed with the value that Tampa has gotten in return for Baez, Hendrickson, Hall, Huff and others. I like the job that Byrnes has done in Arizona giving a rebuilding team somewhat of a chance to go for the Wildcard this year, without destroying their system. I think Daniels has put together a much better team in Texas. Krivsky has turned around the Cincy team and I really like the "cleaning house" that Dayton Moore is doing in KC.

But I like to see others lists on here and have some serious debates. I'll give some more in depth explanations later but lets dish out some lists.-

1. Schurholtz (ATL)
2. Jockety (STL)
3. Epstein (BOS)
4. Beinfest (FLA)
5. Minaya (NYM)
6. Shapiro (CLE)
7. Coletti (LAD)
8. Beane (OAK)
9. Ryan (MIN)
10. Williams (CWS)
11. Riccardi (TOR)
12. Dombowski (DET)
13. Stoneman (LAA)
14. Byrnes (ARZ)
15. Daniels (TEX)
16. Freidman (TAMPA)
17. Cashman (NYY)
18. Krisvky (CIN)
19. Gillick (PHI)
20. Purpura (HOU)
21. Moore (KC)
22. Towers (SD)
23. Melvin (MIL)
24. Hendry (CHC)
25. ODowd (COL)
26. Sabean (SF)
27. Bowden (WASH)
28. Bavasi (SEA)
29. Flanagan (BAL)
30. Littlefield (PIT)
jvmillion83
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby DK » Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:25 pm

At a first glance, no way is Colletti above Beane and Ryan. Personally those two, Epstein, and Schuerholz would probably round out my top 4.

Other than that solid list.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Pedantic » Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:35 pm

DK wrote:At a first glance, no way is Colletti above Beane and Ryan. Personally those two, Epstein, and Schuerholz would probably round out my top 4.

Other than that solid list.

My thoughts exactly. I would probably bump Moore and Melvin up, too.
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby Ursa » Sun Aug 13, 2006 7:45 pm

I'd like to put a good word in for Terry Ryan of Minnesota who year after year produces something from nothing.
Ursa
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 2)

Postby DSheppard » Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:02 pm

daniels has been great so far.

only one bad trade, the one for C. Young. even that has its upside though with Aki saving us when coco was off, and allowing us to trade coco now.

Unfortuately the tremendous years of soriano, C. Young (up until lately anyway), A. Gonzalez, Dellucci, and others have made the trades not look as good as they were.
DSheppard
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Shadow of the Sun* » Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:33 pm

Thank God you didn't put Billy Beane as #1.
Shadow of the Sun*
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Re: Rank The GMs Of MLB

Postby wrveres » Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:47 pm

jvmillion83 wrote:
1. Schurholtz (ATL)
2. Jockety (STL)
3. Epstein (BOS)
4. Beinfest (FLA)
5. Minaya (NYM)
6. Shapiro (CLE)
7. Coletti (LAD)
8. Beane (OAK)
9. Ryan (MIN)
10. Williams (CWS)
11. Riccardi (TOR)
12. Dombowski (DET)
13. Stoneman (LAA)
14. Byrnes (ARZ)
15. Daniels (TEX)
16. Freidman (TAMPA)
17. Cashman (NYY)
18. Krisvky (CIN)
19. Gillick (PHI)
20. Purpura (HOU)
21. Moore (KC)
22. Towers (SD)
23. Melvin (MIL)
24. Hendry (CHC)
25. ODowd (COL)
26. Sabean (SF)
27. Bowden (WASH)
28. Bavasi (SEA)
29. Flanagan (BAL)
30. Littlefield (PIT)

Apparently "winning something" has no bearing on this list.
I love how Kevin Towers is ranked below Moore, cus Moore fired a few people. :-o
KT never gets any respect. If only he had 210 Million to play with eh? Heck he would be happy with 70 million, or even an extra 1 million so he could get a 3B.

agreed
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 671)

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:02 pm

jockettey is solid but since the whole haren/mulder thing is still fresh in my mind i dont think i would put him at #2. there was also ponson, esteban yan and some other bad moves but i think that was more that the owners wouldnt authorize more spending than he thought those people were actually good options.
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Re: Rank The GMs Of MLB

Postby Scooter1027 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:05 pm

wrveres wrote:
jvmillion83 wrote:
1. Schurholtz (ATL)
2. Jockety (STL)
3. Epstein (BOS)
4. Beinfest (FLA)
5. Minaya (NYM)
6. Shapiro (CLE)
7. Coletti (LAD)
8. Beane (OAK)
9. Ryan (MIN)
10. Williams (CWS)
11. Riccardi (TOR)
12. Dombowski (DET)
13. Stoneman (LAA)
14. Byrnes (ARZ)
15. Daniels (TEX)
16. Freidman (TAMPA)
17. Cashman (NYY)
18. Krisvky (CIN)
19. Gillick (PHI)
20. Purpura (HOU)
21. Moore (KC)
22. Towers (SD)
23. Melvin (MIL)
24. Hendry (CHC)
25. ODowd (COL)
26. Sabean (SF)
27. Bowden (WASH)
28. Bavasi (SEA)
29. Flanagan (BAL)
30. Littlefield (PIT)

Apparently "winning something" has no bearing on this list.
I love how Kevin Towers is ranked below Moore, cus Moore fired a few people. :-o
KT never gets any respect. If only he had 210 Million to play with eh? Heck he would be happy with 70 million, or even an extra 1 million so he could get a 3B.

agreed

Hell, I was stunned to see Doug Melvin below Moore. But Melvin also generally doesn't receive enough credit, despite orchestrating the brilliant Richie Sexson trade, which ended up looking like this when all the dust settled:

Richie Sexson

for

Chris Capuano
Tomo Ohka
Dave Bush
Zach Jackson
Gabe Gross
Tony Graffanino
Chad Moeller

Then he picked Scott Podsednik off the trash heap, turned, and dealt him for Carlos Lee. He's made several other solid moves that turned this perpetual loser into a .500ish team ready to take the next step as Fielder, Weeks, Hardy, Hart, Hall, etc get better.
Scooter1027
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafeholic

Postby davidmarver » Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:08 pm

What more does Kevin Towers need to do to get some recognition?

Last offseason the Padres had three large free agents whom they needed to choose who to re-sign: Giles, Hoffman, and Hernandez.

KT first signed Giles. Entering today, Giles leads all NL RFers in Runs Created, RC/G, Win Shares, Walks, and BB/K ratio.

After signing Giles, the Padres found themselves in need of some money so they could afford Hoffman. So the Padres traded Mark Loretta to Boston for Doug Mirabelli, who they later flipped back to Boston for Josh Bard, Cla Meredith, and cash.

Bard, entering today -- in which he homered -- had a BRAA of 13 and a FRAA of 4. He has an RC/G of 8.5, giving him the 2nd highest in the NL. Meredith, a 23 year old, through 22 innings with the Padres, has an ERA of 1.23, a 16/3 K/BB ratio, and an 0.73 WHIP. Bard's runs created, 32, added to Meredith's pitching runs created, 24, gives a total of 56 runs created, in under 200 plate appearances and 22 innings. Loretta has created 60 through the full season.

In the meantime:
<pre>Player RC RC/G SB BRAR FRAR
Barfield 62 5.9 16 15 18
Loretta 60 5.1 3 11 17</pre>
So not only did Towers dump Loretta's salary so that Hoffman, who has his lowest ERA since 1999, could resign, but he also brought in two young talents -- Bard, 27, and Meredith, 23 -- whose production has nearly matched Loretta's in less time, but he also opened up a roster spot so the team's best prospect could come up. And even if the Padres hadn't gotten Hoffman, Bard, and Meredith in return for dumping Loretta, playing Barfield in front of Loretta still would have been a good idea.

So after signing Hoffman and Giles, Towers let Hernandez walk, avoiding his gaudy contract and getting a supplemental first round pick in return. He then went out and acquired Piazza for $1 million and got Bard in trade mentioned above. Here's the catcher production comparison between Hernandez and the Padres 06 catchers:
<pre> .AVG .OBP .SLG .OPS 2B HR R RBI
Hernandez .257 .324 .438 .762 22 15 41 66
Padres Cs .308 .369 .527 .896 32 23 51 79</pre>
Looks like another great move by KT.

KT also traded Xavier Nady for Mike Cameron:
<pre>Player RC RC/G .OPS SB BRAR FRAR
Cameron 74 7.0 .821 18 26 17
Nady 40 5.0 .813 2 2 2</pre>

And then he made the biggest splash of all, by trading Akinori Otsuka and Adam Eaton for Adrian Gonzalez, Chris Young, and Termell Sledge. Gonzalez, 23, who is from San Diego, leads the Padres in HR and RBI, is a .300 hitter, and leads all MLB first-basemen in FRAA. Chris Young leads the Padres in pitching runs created with 65, while Otsuka and Eaton have combined for just 44 all season.

KT for GM of the year. No GM has come close in 2006.
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers