getting real frustrated with my bad luck - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

getting real frustrated with my bad luck

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby chadlincoln » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:15 am

teddy ballgame wrote:That's why I like roto. ;-D ;-)
;-D
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby jake_harv88 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 10:37 am

chadlincoln wrote:
;-D

roto is very un-exciting. In my one roto league the standings haven't changed in about 2 months. H2H while frustrating and sometimes based more on luck is much more enjoyable and fun. Over the course of a whole season your luck should pan out for you....if you have a good team dont fret...
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby The Jury » Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:09 am

jake_harv88 wrote:
chadlincoln wrote:
;-D

roto is very un-exciting. In my one roto league the standings haven't changed in about 2 months. H2H while frustrating and sometimes based more on luck is much more enjoyable and fun. Over the course of a whole season your luck should pan out for you....if you have a good team dont fret...

Yes, it is definitely more fun! However, if you want to find the true champion for the year, roto is the way to go.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby chadlincoln » Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:14 am

jake_harv88 wrote:
chadlincoln wrote:
;-D

Roto may be unexciting, but if you have the best team, you'll win. If you have the team that performs the best consistently over the entire year, you'll win. All your bad weeks will be balanced with your good weeks. Just like in real baseball, when a team takes a major lead over others in their division, of course it's not as exciting to see a division come down to the wire, but we all know who the best team was. That's the goal of fantasy too. If my team is dominant, I'll win.
7/26 - Cafe goes down:

General Error
SQL ERROR [ mysql4 ]
Table './cafe_forums/baseball_sessions' is marked as crashed and should be repaired [145]
An sql error occurred while fetching this page. Please contact an administrator if this problem persists.
chadlincoln
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby Starkmadfan » Mon Aug 14, 2006 11:29 am

jake_harv88 wrote:
chadlincoln wrote:
;-D

That really does sum up my experience - was in one roto league, and everyone bailed once it became clear no one was going to catch the leader - H2H is more frustrating, but at least it makes me come back each week to see if I can improve/beat the next team. (I say that now of course since my losing streak is only 2 games - if it goes to 3........... :~( )
Help me out here? : http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2321827#2321827

Artwork by madaslives911
Starkmadfan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Brandaddy » Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:49 pm

kage812004 wrote:u want to talk about bad luck...my lineup is the best ive seen and i lost hitting this week 4-1, i only won sb. i batted 339 for the week and still lost average.

i was in 2nd place all year and lost the past 2 weeks to crappy teams who decided to have career weeks against me and now im in 4th.

heres my lineup just so u can see what i mean. :~(

c-Mccann
1b-Dunn
2b-Durham
ss-B.Hall
3b-D.Wright
of-Crawford
of-Holliday
of-Beltran
ut-Arod
ut-J.Rivera
bench-A.Gonzo and Lugo.

i by far have the best lineup in my league and i just lost my 9th straight game :( :(

C Posada
1B Pujols
2B Cano
3B Wright
SS O. Cabrera
OF Crawford
OF Beltran
OF Wells
Util Hafner

its pretty stacked but for some reason i cant get a break, and the guy in our league with the least amount of points has 10 wins and he has 1000 less points then me argh im furious with my team.
I love my Diamondbacks!
Brandaddy
College Coach
College Coach

Re: getting real frustrated with my bad luck

Postby davidmarver » Tue Aug 15, 2006 3:13 am

Brandaddy wrote:my fantasy team is 5 - 13 and there is no way i should be, it is starting to make me seriously mad every week it seems like the guys im playing are having the best weeks ever. im in H2H and i have the 2nd most points for but for some reason i just get unlucky and face a team that blows me out. i have 6900 points against me and the next closest team has 6100 points against, some guys have all the luck.

My fantasy football team last season in the H2H World Series West here at the cafe, scored the second most points in the league, but was 6-7. Luckily, due to more NFL parity, I got the fifth playoff spot -- three 6-7 teams made it -- and ended up winning the league crown.

Basically, if your team can somehow squeek in the playoffs, seeding really doesn't matter. Here's to hoping you catch better luck down the stretch and win the league. ;-D
davidmarver
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 ChampionLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby The Artful Dodger » Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:23 pm

chadlincoln wrote:
jake_harv88 wrote:
chadlincoln wrote:
;-D

Roto may be unexciting, but if you have the best team, you'll win. If you have the team that performs the best consistently over the entire year, you'll win. All your bad weeks will be balanced with your good weeks. Just like in real baseball, when a team takes a major lead over others in their division, of course it's not as exciting to see a division come down to the wire, but we all know who the best team was. That's the goal of fantasy too. If my team is dominant, I'll win.

Yeah, that's the fun of roto, about who can build the most well-balanced squad, and even though I enjoy roto, I'm just not the type of person who likes "Chelsea leagues", where it can be quite uninspiring to have a team run away with everything if you have little to do with the outcome.

As for luck, well, I tend to be lucky with every fantasy sport, except football, but it takes a balance of having a good draft, the knack for playing the market, recognizing trends and basing decision making off of that, and lastly, a little intuition and hey, a little prayer. But that's why I like H2H over roto: it's maddening, it can be frustrating, it's exciting but you have that "Any Given Sunday" attitude each week. However, things pan out for the most dominant H2H team on paper even though the percentage of a letdown is higher compared to roto, just due to the week-by-week dynamics.
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 671)

Postby johnsamo » Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:15 pm

I've only done roto, so I'm not unbiased I guess... but why I don't think I'd like H2H is, it'sANOTHER level of stress, and I get enough from my roto team as it is... and unless it's a small team league or you allow too many keepers and a guy becomes dominate over time, big leads aren't as safe as you think.

I learned that big time last year. About this time, maybe a bit later, there was 1 guy who was like 10 points above a pack of 3 who were neck and neck, I was in the pack. It'd been thatway forever, we stayed there, none of us 3 could could get close. I didn't throw in the towel or anything, but I stopped my lineup tweaking, didn't look at the lefty/righty splits career vs. pitcher/viver versa stats every day anymore to tweak my lineup anymore, and just put the regular lineup in... Basically just coasted... Then the last two weeks, the guy just plummeted, and suddenly it was a 4 man pack with identical scores, and I suddenly realized "I can win this"... but anyway, wound up second, losing by half a point, and I'm fairly positive that 4 week or so period where I put the team on cruise control cost me the title.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Zito is God » Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:00 pm

Ok, please lets not talk about bad luck. On paper I am a lock to win the league at the start of the year, then it went downhill. 16 team dynasty.

C: AJ
1B: Sexson (40 HR projection, not happening though)
2B: DeRosa (Better then ever)
3B: Rolen (Decent season, expect more power and RBIs behind Pujols)
SS: Furcal (The definition of looking good on paper)
LF: Soriano ( No complaints :))
CF: Hunter (Wanna try and do something sometime buddy?)
RF: Francouer (Expected a bit more HRs and much better ave.)
Util: Huff (YOU. ARE. A . JOKE.)

Pitching: Buerhle need to stop throwing like a girl, Hudson needs to stop being lame, Billingsley needs to be the ace everyone said he would be since I traded the farm for him, all my closers lost their roles mid season, all my holds guys lost their set up jobs although were projected for around 30 holds (Pollitte is a good example).

This season has just been very bad. I had guys like Abreu I ended up dealing for guys who ended up doing even worse, Sizemore I dealt away in the Billingsley deal and it hasn't worked out well. I had a very easy chance to get Beltran and passed, now he is on fire. Dunn started heating up the day after I traded him away. To top everything off I had a day where my bench produced 6 HRs, 12 RBIs, and 12 R, while my lineup had 1 R and 1 RBI.

Go fantasy baseball! :-/

Sean Tracey has my apologies, we all know Ozzie Guillen is an idiot. I'm rooting for you!
Zito is God
General Manager
General Manager

Cafe WriterPick 3 Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers