Breakdown of ARod's Swing and Others - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Breakdown of ARod's Swing and Others

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby George_Foreman » Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:51 am

BA is really good in general, and they tend to have good "Pinch Hitter" articles. The guy who wrote this particular article for them has a pretty website himself (link), with interesting analysis of, amongst others, Jeff Francoeur. Interesting stuff.
"I don't buy everything I read,
I havn't even read everything I've bought"

"I find it more comforting to believe that this [life] isn't simply a test."
George_Foreman
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby mikekim2121 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 8:38 am

A fact that people never seem to talk about is that the only other right handed hitter in Yankee history to hit more than 40 homers is Joe Dimaggio. In all the years of this storied franchise, its just Arod and the Clipper.

That makes his 48 homers last year that much more impressive. People expecting him to put up 48 homers every year are smoking some good herb because going by the previous fact, it is very VERY hard for a right handed hitter to put up crazy numbers playing half their games at Yankee Stadium
mikekim2121
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 1)

Postby buffalobillsrul2002 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:22 pm

What I found amazing was the hit chart. It seems he's hitting more balls into the gaps/less balls down the lines. Also, A-Rod hasn't hit a single ground ball to the first baseman yet all year. Less balls into right-center too I think. It looks like he's becoming more of a pull hitter this year.
buffalobillsrul2002
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 3)

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:19 pm

mikekim2121 wrote:A fact that people never seem to talk about is that the only other right handed hitter in Yankee history to hit more than 40 homers is Joe Dimaggio. In all the years of this storied franchise, its just Arod and the Clipper.

That makes his 48 homers last year that much more impressive. People expecting him to put up 48 homers every year are smoking some good herb because going by the previous fact, it is very VERY hard for a right handed hitter to put up crazy numbers playing half their games at Yankee Stadium

Dimaggio played when left center field was 457 feet (not the 399 it is today). He also won 9 WS rings in 10 tries. Comparing The Clipper to a choke artist like Arod who has never been on a winning team in his entire career HS to Pros is insulting to Dimaggio.

I am sure if you could figure out a way to have A-Choke come up all the time in 13-1 games he would hit 60 Hrs without breaking a sweat.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby nirjraina » Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:29 pm

Then how come he hits better than Manny in close and late situations over the last 3 years? Oops thats hard to explain away isnt it? Stop comparing everyone to Ortiz because he is having an amazing run of hitting game winners right now. But like most hot streaks it will die down and he'll be left watching on the outside of the HOF.
nirjraina
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby RynMan » Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:30 am

Amazinz wrote:Nothing against Strasil, but this article seems like a whole bunch of nonsense. Not to say his conclusions are wrong, I don't know. I read the article three times over, figuring I was missing something, and the author just jumps to conclusions as he moves a long.

Gotta agree here....not alot of real substance.

I'd be curious to know if in the first clip showing the linear movement of his centre of gravity, the scale is adjusted to account for the size of the picture. In other words, is he really gliding 18 inches forward?

There is only one way to find out other than guess, and that is to have a point of reference in the clip that you know the distance of (and is perpendicular to the camera). I highly doubt the accuracy if those measurements, hence the comparison is irrelevant.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby Lofunzo » Thu Aug 17, 2006 5:48 pm

TheYanks04 wrote:Arod's a natural at hitting a solo HR down 5-1 in the 9th after striking out twice and hitting into a DP. Also a natural at hitting against TB in May. It has othing to do with ball park.

I can't believe that I am wasting time responding to you but you make no sense and I am glad that most of the people here are waking up to it.

For the record, A-Rod has hit 18.5% of his career HR in May and only 5% of them against Tampa Bay. Keep digging. You might actually be right about something. ;-7

I would also be happy if someone could find out how many HR A-Rod has hit against Tampa Bay in May. I couldn't find anything on it.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers