Breakdown of ARod's Swing and Others - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Breakdown of ARod's Swing and Others

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Breakdown of ARod's Swing and Others

Postby Strasil42 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:15 pm

I posted the Arod link over in the Yankees forums, but this is just too good of info for only 20 or so people to see.

Since this site includes breakdowns of other players as well, I feel it warrents a spot in the leftovers section.

Probably the most in-depth, breakdown of a swing I've ever seen.

http://baseballanalysts.com/archives/20 ... ing_sw.php

Amazing site I just found the other day.

Enjoy!!!!
Strasil42
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby tianyi86 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:53 pm

Great article ;-D ;-D ;-D
tianyi86
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby perlick29 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:28 pm

It really depends on your take of this article. Some might find it illuminating to Arod's so called downturn, but I found the video to prove absolutely nothing. For one thing the author makes no mention of pitch location. In the video of ARod swinging where he says the rotation of his hips is different by showing a red and yellow line, he says the hip rotation is different. But without a perfect angle of where the pitch is, it proves very little. If the pitch is on the inside part of the plate, Arod's hips and hands will have to clear sooner which would lead to the different finish. Don't get me wrong the author makes interesting points. But its just such a small sample size of pitches shown that it cant be proven that this is causing a slide in his numbers. Batting average is fickle. His Isolated Power, GB/FB ratio, and BB/PA all still look pretty good so it may be a matter of time before Arod gets hot again. I couldn't find his BABIP numbers so far but I wonder what kind of a role that plays as well.
Forget the man crush. I drop what I'm doing to watch Zack Greinke pitch.
perlick29
General Manager
General Manager

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerCafecasterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Webster11 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 9:40 pm

perlick29 wrote:It really depends on your take of this article. Some might find it illuminating to Arod's so called downturn, but I found the video to prove absolutely nothing. For one thing the author makes no mention of pitch location. In the video of ARod swinging where he says the rotation of his hips is different by showing a red and yellow line, he says the hip rotation is different. But without a perfect angle of where the pitch is, it proves very little. If the pitch is on the inside part of the plate, Arod's hips and hands will have to clear sooner which would lead to the different finish. Don't get me wrong the author makes interesting points. But its just such a small sample size of pitches shown that it cant be proven that this is causing a slide in his numbers. Batting average is fickle. His Isolated Power, GB/FB ratio, and BB/PA all still look pretty good so it may be a matter of time before Arod gets hot again. I couldn't find his BABIP numbers so far but I wonder what kind of a role that plays as well.

His BABIP is .329 right around his career numbers. Fangraphs.com is a good site to see BABIP and other stats
Webster11
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby johnsamo » Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:44 pm

Haven't read it, but I think he's the wrong kind of hitter for that field.

A-Rod's a natural to all fields power guy who occassionally pulls, but Yankee stadium for righties, it punishes to all fields power hitters and rewards power pull hitters... Anybody know if the new stadium will have different dimensions?
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby DeadWinterDay » Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:04 am

perlick29 wrote:It really depends on your take of this article. Some might find it illuminating to Arod's so called downturn, but I found the video to prove absolutely nothing. For one thing the author makes no mention of pitch location. In the video of ARod swinging where he says the rotation of his hips is different by showing a red and yellow line, he says the hip rotation is different. But without a perfect angle of where the pitch is, it proves very little. If the pitch is on the inside part of the plate, Arod's hips and hands will have to clear sooner which would lead to the different finish. Don't get me wrong the author makes interesting points. But its just such a small sample size of pitches shown that it cant be proven that this is causing a slide in his numbers. Batting average is fickle. His Isolated Power, GB/FB ratio, and BB/PA all still look pretty good so it may be a matter of time before Arod gets hot again. I couldn't find his BABIP numbers so far but I wonder what kind of a role that plays as well.

It says the one from '05 is a HR over the inside, and the one from '06 is a HR over the middle.

EDIT: and all the .gifs are just different frames of the same swing. ALL 05 gifs are the HR over the inside and ALL 06 gifs are HR over the middle.
Last edited by DeadWinterDay on Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
DeadWinterDay
College Coach
College Coach

Postby TheYanks04 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:05 am

Arod's a natural at hitting a solo HR down 5-1 in the 9th after striking out twice and hitting into a DP. Also a natural at hitting against TB in May. It has othing to do with ball park.
TheYanks04
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Strasil42 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:48 am

TheYanks04 wrote:Arod's a natural at hitting a solo HR down 5-1 in the 9th after striking out twice and hitting into a DP. Also a natural at hitting against TB in May. It has othing to do with ball park.

What are you talking about???

ARod is hitting .179 against Tampa Bay this season and is a career .249 hitter against Tampa Bay.
Strasil42
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Amazinz » Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:06 am

Nothing against Strasil, but this article seems like a whole bunch of nonsense. Not to say his conclusions are wrong, I don't know. I read the article three times over, figuring I was missing something, and the author just jumps to conclusions as he moves a long.
Maine has a good swing for a pitcher but on anything that moves, he has no chance. And if it's a fastball, it has to be up in the zone. Basically, the pitcher has to hit his bat. - Mike Pelfrey
Amazinz
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby Mugrila » Mon Aug 14, 2006 1:12 am

Strasil42 wrote:
TheYanks04 wrote:Arod's a natural at hitting a solo HR down 5-1 in the 9th after striking out twice and hitting into a DP. Also a natural at hitting against TB in May. It has othing to do with ball park.

What are you talking about???

Same stuff he always does, inaccurate and ignorant statements with no factual basis.
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers