Commish Veto - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Commish Veto

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby 1337_Dude » Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:40 pm

The deal itself looks fair, but I can see where you comish is coming from.
1337_Dude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby great gretzky » Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:39 pm

this is one of those where I don't knwo what to tell you.

the thing with fantasy is the "swing"

Usually, you trade smoltz, then you don't get his stats, and they are used against you.

But this trade is fairly on target too.

I think I might be of the opinion that if the person has say 250 innings (or so, not doing the math) the commish has a point, smoltz won't make enough of a difference. But at the same time, its not the commih's job to be paying attention to games played and IP. I think at this point, his job should be to see if the trade meets some general defi9nition of "approximate" value, and leave it at that. Or, if "approximate value" can't be met, then looking to see if specific points could be made up overall by such a trade.

Since your trade meets criteria one, It should go through.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby ukrneal » Sun Aug 13, 2006 2:54 am

You can easily post the innings limit here. Just look at his team page.

Regardless, I would not veto. I don't understand how anyone would. Even if he is closer than most, maybe he thinks Soriano is going to tank. Or maybe he plans on a short rotation and Smoltz is better than his other pitchers. Who knows? Point is, it isn't the job of the commish to play for the other manager.
ukrneal
General Manager
General Manager

Postby winterball22 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:21 pm

How does the Commish know, that he doesn't have another deal brewing to unload some pitching to get his innings down. This trade might of been one part of a bigger deal with another owner. Shoudn't of been vetoed.
winterball22
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby winterball22 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:21 pm

How does the Commish know, that he doesn't have another deal brewing to unload some pitching to get his innings down. This trade might of been one part of a bigger deal with another owner. Shoudn't of been vetoed.
winterball22
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Bricklayer » Sun Aug 13, 2006 8:32 pm

winterball22 wrote:How does the Commish know, that he doesn't have another deal brewing to unload some pitching to get his innings down. This trade might of been one part of a bigger deal with another owner. Shoudn't of been vetoed.

Excellent point!
Bricklayer
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bleach168 » Sun Aug 13, 2006 11:49 pm

Bricklayer wrote:
winterball22 wrote:How does the Commish know, that he doesn't have another deal brewing to unload some pitching to get his innings down. This trade might of been one part of a bigger deal with another owner. Shoudn't of been vetoed.

Excellent point!

Well, if you allow the trade and then the guy doesn't make another move and wastes Smoltz, you can't retroactively fix that.

Commish should have suspended the trade and asked the trader if he knew what he was doing and understood he was close to the innings limit.
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby Deuce » Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:47 am

This is a good reason to join keeper leagues. If, as I assume, this is not. If this is a keeper league, Smoltz' value for next year make this trade worth it. And, even if this is not a keeper, the owner has probably chosen to use Smoltz with the few innings he has remaining. He's not a bad choice to use your last innings on.

Not vetoable at all. :-t
The glass is neither half full nor half empty... It is simply a glass
Deuce
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Lucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby winterball22 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 7:51 am

"Commish should have suspended the trade and asked the trader if he knew what he was doing and understood he was close to the innings limit."
He is a commish, not a babysitter, the commish has to beleive that he has competent owners. Would the commish question FAAB pickups, Waiverwire pick ups? It would be never ending.
winterball22
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers