Most Underrated player...? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Most Underrated player...?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Who is the most underrated player in baseball?

Raul Ibanez
16%
Bill Hall
16%
Jermaine Dye
40%
Magglio Ordóñez
No votes
Matt Holliday
7%
Carlos Guillén
2%
Chris Capuano
4%
John Lackey
7%
Brad Penny
4%
Jeff Francis
4%

Total votes : 45

Postby Old_Style » Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:21 am

on average hafner was drafted 23rd overall in espn leagues.

maybe he's not as publicized outside of fantasy sports...i never really realized it if he was.
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Old_Style » Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:29 am

mweir145 wrote:How about Reed Johnson this year? He's batting .340 and with tonight's plate appearances I believe he's put himself into 3rd in the AL batting race. His OPS is also up near the top 10 in the league right now. Obviously these numbers are going to eventually come down, but other than Vernon Wells, Reed Johnson IMO has been the most important part of the Jays' offense (he's gotten on base at a .420 clip this season at the top of the order). Defensively he is very solid out there as well. This was a breakout season that was very much needed with all those question marks surrounding a possible Wells extension/trade in the offseason.

i think the reason reed johnson doesn't get as much pub, although he is a great singles and doubles hitter, he doesn't put up power numbers or steal bases.
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby superfly » Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:42 am

Justin Morneau
superfly
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Pedantic » Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:52 am

Old_Style wrote:
mweir145 wrote:How about Reed Johnson this year? He's batting .340 and with tonight's plate appearances I believe he's put himself into 3rd in the AL batting race. His OPS is also up near the top 10 in the league right now. Obviously these numbers are going to eventually come down, but other than Vernon Wells, Reed Johnson IMO has been the most important part of the Jays' offense (he's gotten on base at a .420 clip this season at the top of the order). Defensively he is very solid out there as well. This was a breakout season that was very much needed with all those question marks surrounding a possible Wells extension/trade in the offseason.

i think the reason reed johnson doesn't get as much pub, although he is a great singles and doubles hitter, he doesn't put up power numbers or steal bases.

Probably that or the fact that he's a soon-to-be 30-year-old journeyman outfielder having a career season. *Shrugs*
Pedantic
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicEagle EyeCafe Musketeer

Postby smoovethug » Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:10 pm

superfly wrote:Justin Morneau

I wouldn't really call him underrated. First Twin since when to hit 30 HR's? He's got the HR stroke so you know that gets him recognized by people.

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

Postby smoovethug » Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:15 pm

I voted for Ibanez as well though. He's putting together a very solid season but many people don't even know who he is. Alot of nice candidates on this list though. I'll give a close second to Jeff Francis. With a 3.44 ERA and a 1.19 WHIP, and even better numbers at Coors Field he's always keeping his team in the game. People are just so hesitant to give love to Rockies pitching.

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

Postby mcqfesijiba » Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:30 pm

Of those options I like Ibanez most. He's been quietly putting up productive seasons for quite a number of years now. I like seeing Bill Hall as an option. He is definitely a valuable and underrated player. I like him a lot, just not as the MOST underrated in baseball. The guy is on pace to put up a very quiet 30+ HR season from the shortstop position. I do indeed like Dye and Francis for this too. Good poll.
mcqfesijiba
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The_Met_Threat » Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:37 pm

DK wrote:Travis Hafner. No question.

Yup.
The Mets [b]will[/b] win the World Series this year.
The_Met_Threat
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Havok1517 » Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:32 pm

The_Met_Threat wrote:
DK wrote:Travis Hafner. No question.

Yup.

I personally think that Hafner is a superstar. I think Wells and Hafner are the most underrated superstars in baseball. But Hafner's Indians are like 25 games back. With a nickname like Pronk, can you be underrated? jk :-)
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 119)

Postby mweir145 » Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:24 pm

Pedantic wrote:
Old_Style wrote:

Probably that or the fact that he's a soon-to-be 30-year-old journeyman outfielder having a career season. *Shrugs*

That doesn't change the fact he's been one of the better outfielders in the league this season. I never said he was going to keep it up, but he's clearly been underrated this year partly because of that reason.
mweir145
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Eagle Eye
(Past Year: 10)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers