In H2H Relief P ? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

In H2H Relief P ?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

In H2H Relief P ?

Postby Richie Rich » Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:51 am

do guys that come in and pitch an inning or so every other game or what not really lower ure overall era and whip???...cuz obviously starters era's weight heavier when pitching 6-7+ as to a reliever pitching 1-2 max...just curious cuz i get beat in both from time to time and may grab a middle man or two if it helps...

u figure i have 6 sp's and 3 closers who i start...realistically i get 8 starts a week from my starters, rough estimate...so if they go 6 ip each, that's 48 innings to make their era...if i have a few closers that pitch lets say 10-14ip or so, rough estimate, there is there era...did i just answer my own question??? im sry, itz late, im kinda blabbing, but i kno some of you get what i mean...thanks in advance
C:Sandoval 1B:Teixeira 2B:Ramirez 3B:Huff SS:Rollins OF:Crawford OF:Markakis OF:Kemp U:Holliday U:Morneau B: Werth DL: Lowell
SP Billingsley Shields Verlander Lackey Romero Hughes
RP Cordero Bell Bailey Francisco
DL Dempster
Richie Rich
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby swyck » Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:15 am

Not everyone agrees, but good middle relievers do have an effect on your ERA and WHIP, and they can be surprisingly helpful in Ks since some of them have pretty good ratios. I think they're more of a help in roto, and especially when there's an IP limit, but they can be useful in low IP limit H2H leagues. One MR is generally about a 1/3 rd of an SP when figuring things, so it generally takes 2 to have an impact.

I think it depends on the makeup of your staff. If you have some good starters and your rate stats are solid, I'd rather have a couple good MRs propping up your rates, instead of a couple of crappy SPs dragging them down. If your rate stats are hurting because of your mediocre staff, then a couple of MRs can only help if your planning on making other changes to your SPs.
swyck
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe Ranker
(Past Year: 14)

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:05 pm

I have always tried to "build a stud" SP by having 2 excellent MR on my roster. The key is having the room. It has gotten harder to find solid MR, though. My stategy has been to snag 2 stud MR late in the draft while everyone else is grabbing WW fodder at SP. To answer your question, they can help. It beats putting some schmuck in at SP and getting lit up.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby Richie Rich » Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:48 pm

thanks guys...i'm thinking about guys like broxton, calero, wainwright, rincon, proctor, rauch..
C:Sandoval 1B:Teixeira 2B:Ramirez 3B:Huff SS:Rollins OF:Crawford OF:Markakis OF:Kemp U:Holliday U:Morneau B: Werth DL: Lowell
DL Dempster
Richie Rich
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Richie Rich » Mon Aug 14, 2006 12:06 am

i love broxton but this neshek guy is sick
DL Dempster
Richie Rich
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby KTM » Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:50 pm

Lofunzo wrote:I have always tried to "build a stud" SP by having 2 excellent MR on my roster. The key is having the room. It has gotten harder to find solid MR, though. My stategy has been to snag 2 stud MR late in the draft while everyone else is grabbing WW fodder at SP. To answer your question, they can help. It beats putting some schmuck in at SP and getting lit up.

I followed this formula and it works well. These guys also contribute wins. Best thing is you don't have to worry about matchups, just put them in and away they go. I tend to be at the bottom of the saves category but that's OK with me because a crap closer (Ryan Dempster) might get saves but he kills your whip and era. Some of the better ones:

juan rincon
scot shields
scott linebrink (having kinda an off year though)
justin spier
scott eyre

I'll usually pick up the top 3 then rotate in a few rookies or guys having good years as the season goes along. The best thing to do is monitor the twins and the Padres, since they really know how to pick em.

There are great ones to be found for sure, you just really have to do your research and avoid guys that walk people. Also look for guys who are on the list to take over as closers should the current closer loose his job - 8th inning setups. They tend to be pitching for a position as well as a new contract and alot of the time pitch over their heads (read jj putz earlier this year).
KTM
College Coach
College Coach

Postby KTM » Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:56 pm

Richie Rich wrote:i love broxton but this neshek guy is sick

I just picked up Neshek 2 weeks ago and he's an animal for sure. Broxton has control issues so I've stayed away from him. He looks good for stretches then blows up.
KTM
College Coach
College Coach

Postby KTM » Mon Aug 14, 2006 2:56 pm

And Joel Zumaya of course...
KTM
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Richie Rich » Mon Aug 14, 2006 3:12 pm

KTM wrote:
Richie Rich wrote:i love broxton but this neshek guy is sick

I just picked up Neshek 2 weeks ago and he's an animal for sure. Broxton has control issues so I've stayed away from him. He looks good for stretches then blows up.

im trying to make room for Neshek, but it's hard...zumaya already is on a team in my league
DL Dempster
Richie Rich
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby rainman23 » Mon Aug 14, 2006 4:13 pm

Even a single guy, if that's all you have room for, can make a difference. Yeah, he may only influence your ERA 1/3 as much as a starter. (It might actually be higher in today's game, though, where starters seldom hit 200 ip's.) But, on the other hand, every year there are those relievers with microscopic era's. So you're getting maybe 40% of a much better number than lots of good starters will give you. Nice idea, if you have room for them...
rainman23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers