My Annual Thread: THIS is Why I Love H2H! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

My Annual Thread: THIS is Why I Love H2H!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby mcliffy2 » Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:58 am

wrveres wrote:Reposted

How can people say there is no strategy in H2H?
Every week it is a completely new game...

"Beat your opponent."

If you do not sit down on Sunday Night, and look to see how many starters your opponent has going that week, and what you will 'need' to beat him, be it skipping a starter or whatever, you fail to understand the H2H concept.

If you do not sit down on Sunday Night, and see what kind of stolen base threat your opponent has for you this week, and whether or not you can sit Taveras in lieu of somebody who might give you more RBI's, you fail to understand the H2H concept.

If you do not sit down on Sunday Night, and analyze your opponent’s bullpen to see if he is 'Saves' strong, 'Holds' strong, or "Neither", and then make adjustments to your pen, you fail to understand the H2H concept.

If you do not sit down on Sunday Night, look at your individual outfield splits versus upcoming match ups, Left/Right, Home/Away, and then make adjustments, you fail to understand the H2H Concept.

If you are down 5 SB's to 1 on Friday night. Do you bench Pierre for help in other areas, or just decide to gamble over the weekend? If you have never even considered this, you fail to understand the H2H concept.

It is Sunday morning and you are ahead in 4 of the 6 pitching categories including ratios, but just barely. You are killing him in K's 42- 25.
Do you bench your Sunday starter in order to 'not lose' those two ratio categories?
If sitting Roy Oswalt on a Sunday vs. the Cardinals never crossed your mind, you fail to understand the H2H concept.

I cannot for the life of me figure out why people say there is no strategy in H2H, unless...

They do not understand the concept.

I agree this can be a fun aspect of HtH, but it requires a deep bench. My HtH league has virtually no bench spots so this strategy goes out the window...it leads to some wild WW cycling but I'd much rather stash guys on my bench than dump a solid player because he is cold and hope you can pick him back up.

Last year, my HtH league on CBS used CBS's power ranking, which combines total points, as well as HtH standings to determine who made the playoffs. I liked that a lot, because it at least eliminated randomness from who made the playoffs. (unfortunately not from the playoffs themselves)
mcliffy2
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby bigh0rt » Wed Aug 16, 2006 3:25 pm

United_I_Stand wrote:Playing the vast majority of the season to only eliminate half the teams is mind numbingly boring.

As opposed to Roto which eliminates 80+% of the league by the All-Star break? :-? One exaggeration deserves another...

mcliffy2 wrote:I liked that a lot, because it at least eliminated randomness from who made the playoffs.

It's random how again?? I've never, in 7 years of playing H2H had a team randomly make the playoffs...
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 348)

Postby JTWood » Wed Aug 16, 2006 6:11 pm

bigh0rt wrote:
mcliffy2 wrote:I liked that a lot, because it at least eliminated randomness from who made the playoffs.

It's random how again?? I've never, in 7 years of playing H2H had a team randomly make the playoffs...

Yeah, random was probably a poor choice by cliff there. Of our 6 playoff teams, 5 deserved to make it. Only one was "screwed" over by the fact that he went on a losing streak at the end of the season when all of our games are against divisional opponents.

16% hardly seems random to me.
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby JTWood » Wed Aug 16, 2006 8:43 pm

I love H2H playoffs. After two days, our one-week, Wild Card playoffs look like this:

National Division Playoffs
#2 Seed - 84.5 pts
#3 Seed - 80.0 pts

The #3 Seed has 36.5 points from Jimmy Rollins alone*. Insane.

American Division Playoffs
#2 Seed - 40.0 pts
#3 Seed - 50.5 pts

Pretty close so far, huh?

* - Yeah, yeah. This is exactly what you guys hate; one hot player carrying a team. I know, I know...
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby JTWood » Fri Aug 18, 2006 8:57 am

After three days, our one-week, Wild Card playoffs look like this:

National Division Playoffs
#2 Seed - 115.0 pts
#3 Seed - 139.0 pts

Rollins is still the difference.

American Division Playoffs
#2 Seed - 105.5 pts
#3 Seed - 109.0 pts
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby JTWood » Sat Aug 19, 2006 1:43 pm

This just in: H2H is still exciting, even in the playoffs.

We have 6 match-ups going this week - 2 playoffs and 4 consolation playoffs. Five of the six mathups are within 13 points of each other (<10% of total points). The only blowout is the best team that didn't make the playoffs against the worst team in the league.

This weekend will be great!
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby daullaz » Sat Aug 19, 2006 2:32 pm

JTWood wrote:This just in: H2H is still exciting, even in the playoffs.

We have 6 match-ups going this week - 2 playoffs and 4 consolation playoffs. Five of the six mathups are within 13 points of each other (<10% of total points). The only blowout is the best team that didn't make the playoffs against the worst team in the league.

This weekend will be great!

Would be great if my pitching didn't blow up at the most inopportune time. Even when I get a good performance from Weaver, it's offset by Penny's performance. Throw in Beckett's numbers so far today, and it looks like I'll lose to a lower seed....again.

Ah well, such is H2H. I'm not going to complain about it. ;-) :-D
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 56)

Postby JTWood » Mon Aug 21, 2006 2:58 am

The first week of the playoffs has wrapped up with some great competition where all but one game came down to literally the last day.

Money Playoffs
In our National Division, the #3 seed put up an insane, Yankee-esque 111-point day (one-third of their entire week's points) to come roaring back from behind against the #2 seed. Just two weeks ago, the #2 seed was the team that was going to get the first-round bye. Oh, how fast things can turn against you in H2H baseball.

Final score: 306.5 - 247.5

In our American Division, where the numbers two and three seeds were separated by mere technicalities, the #3 seed matched the output from the #2 seed on this final day allowing them to hold on to their lead. Harang's outing on Sunday was essentially the difference in this matchup.

Final score: 249.5 - 212.0

The winner move on to face their respective regular season divisional winner who received a first-round bye this week. Speaking of that, for those of you don't know the value of a first-round bye, our National Division winner has both Pedro and Glavine on his team. It would have been a rough week for him without the bye...

Consolation Playoffs
The only upset here was the #3 seed being eliminated by the #6 seed. The #s 1, 2, & 4 seeds all moved on. The matchup between the #4 and #5 seed produced easily the most dramatic finish of the week.

The #5 seed entered the day down by only 6.5 points. That's nothing. As the day went on, it became increasingly obvious that the matchup was going to hinge on Schilling's start in the Yanks/BoSox game. In particular, the #5 seed needed 19.0 points from Schilling to get a tie; 19.5 for the win.

Everything was going well. Schilling had thrown a QS and was in line for the win. On top of that, he had Papelbon, who was strolling to the mound for a save. If Pap closes it out, the #5 seed wins by a pretty handy margin. Instead, all hell breaks loose.

In the end, Papelbon's blown save finished the #5 seed off. The blown save cost him 2 points, and he ended up losing by 1 point. That's right - one little point.

It all came down to the final pitcher of the final game of the week, and that turned everything around. Talk about exciting!

:-°
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby RyanK » Mon Aug 21, 2006 3:16 am

I hate nate robertson and aaron harang... about 60 points combined to beat me.... :-P :-P :-P
RyanK
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby wrveres » Mon Aug 21, 2006 4:55 am

JTWood wrote:
Consolation Playoffs
The #5 seed entered the day down by only 6.5 points. That's nothing. As the day went on, it became increasingly obvious that the matchup was going to hinge on Schilling's start in the Yanks/BoSox game. In particular, the #5 seed needed 19.0 points from Schilling to get a tie; 19.5 for the win.

Everything was going well. Schilling had thrown a QS and was in line for the win. On top of that, he had Papelbon, who was strolling to the mound for a save. If Pap closes it out, the #5 seed wins by a pretty handy margin. Instead, all hell breaks loose.

In the end, Papelbon's blown save finished the #5 seed off. The blown save cost him 2 points, and he ended up losing by 1 point. That's right - one little point.

It all came down to the final pitcher of the final game of the week, and that turned everything around. Talk about exciting!

:-°

Oh I love it!! ;-D
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 692)

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers