My Annual Thread: THIS is Why I Love H2H! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

My Annual Thread: THIS is Why I Love H2H!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby ukrneal » Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:03 am

TheOmen wrote:
H2H requires no less skill than roto. If you think it does, you'll get clobbered. The fact that one team is 10-8 and the other 8-10 has far more to do with skill than luck. Why you have a need to put down H2H and those who play it is beyond me.

Incorrect. I'm first in both my leagues. In the roto league, I have been battling with three teams for the last month, and just finally upped my lead to 4 points when I aqcuired Dave Roberts to add some speed. In H2H, I have made half as many moves, have one SB threat, and keep the same lineup in weekly and I am 110-75-43. Yippee, I'll get a bye week, only to be beat by a 5th place team, that scraped into the playoffs, because he has 1 hot hitter and omne stud SP. Awesome!

Just because the competition in your ONE roto league is better than your ONE H2H league, you make this HUGE assumption and conclusion. Maybe the only conclusion we can draw from this is that the managers in your roto league are better than the managers in the H2H league? Or maybe the 5th place team has improved his team since the season began and has a better team than you have now? Too many possible conclusions to draw ANY conclusion in your example.

BitterDodgerFan - I totally hear you on this one. I only play in leagues that have some mechanism to prevent streaming/churning. This can be a moves limit, added categories, deep leagues (so few decent options to pick up), etc. In one league, we lock the rosters for the playoffs (exceptions made for injuries). To be honest, if the league is big enough and/or the bench deep enough, this problem ususally goes away. The reason is that the bulk of additional players taken will be pitchers as the bench for hitters is not something you need to add much to in H2H.
ukrneal
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby United_I_Stand » Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:19 am

how to win a h2h league. draft a good team. pay minimal attention except rotating your pitchers and then making waiver wire moves every month of so. check your position late july, try to pull off a few trades to obtain and offload players who project to have a good or bad september respectively. continue to pay minimal attention.

Hopefully finish top half for the season. wooooh acheivement.

Cross your fingers during the playoff lottery.

The end.

Wheres the sodding excitement in that. Random is not exciting. Playing the vast majority of the season only to see who can finish top half is not exciting - or all that challenging.

You use poker as an example. in poker do you bet before you see your cards. thats what h2h feels like. heres the bet, all in, now lets see the cards, who won, oh i did, how very fun and exciting.
United_I_Stand
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby wrveres » Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:27 am

United_I_Stand wrote:how to win a h2h league. draft a good team. pay minimal attention except rotating your pitchers and then making waiver wire moves every month of so. check your position late july, try to pull off a few trades to obtain and offload players who project to have a good or bad september respectively. continue to pay minimal attention.

The end.

Wheres the sodding excitement in that. Random is not exciting. Playing the vast majority of the season only to see who can finish top half is not exciting - or all that challenging.

You use poker as an example. in poker do you bet before you see your cards. thats what h2h feels like. heres the bet, all in, now lets see the cards, who won, oh i did, how very fun and exciting.

the real funny part is ..
the name of this thread is "why I Love H2H" .. and after 8 pages of you bashing it, we get it ...

you don't like H2H ... enough allready.

If your level of competition allows you to sit around and do nothing all year, I am guessing your comfortable playing in the same level of competition in roto ..

none the less, we get it. all 9 pages of it. You don't like H2H.

have a nice day :-)
wrveres
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe Musketeer
(Past Year: 671)

Postby daullaz » Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:09 pm

United_I_Stand wrote:how to win a h2h league. draft a good team. pay minimal attention except rotating your pitchers and then making waiver wire moves every month of so. check your position late july, try to pull off a few trades to obtain and offload players who project to have a good or bad september respectively. continue to pay minimal attention.

The end.

Not all leagues are like that. The competitive leagues you need to do a lot more that rotate your pitchers each week to win. It sounds to me like your comparing all H2H leagues everywhere against a few Yahoo Public H2H leagues you've played in.

With the innings limit, you can pay even less attention to your roto league. Draft a good team, pay minimal attention except for waiver wire moves every month or so. Check your position late July, try and make a few trades for whatever categories you can make up the most points in. Offload players that don't play well in the 2nd half. Continue to pay minimal attention. Check back in on the last day of the season to see if you won. It works both ways.

And, if you set the league up right, churning isn't a problem. In our league, we set our lineups weekly. We also have a limited amount of league money to use on waivers and additions. I guarantee you no one in our league has churned or ever will churn pitchers.
daullaz
Head Scribe
Head Scribe

EditorCafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 56)

Postby Kurtangletn » Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:03 pm

I've never tried h2h in baseball, I've avoided it.

But, I do know i'll be doing h2h in my hockey league next year, there is litteraly only 3, maybe 4 people who are active including me. I want a league where I know people will be there come August, I can't really blame them for not being here now in roto where there have been burried all year.

I think roto is fine if your really into it, but if you have casual fans, h2h is alot better.
"This flag dips to no earthly king."
Kurtangletn
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby RyanK » Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:56 pm

Having started playing fantasy sports with football on sandbox.. then tried baseball.. head to head was just always fun.

Now being in JTs leauge.. it was my first money leauge, I liked the set up with contracts, spending money, etc. Sure I almost miss the playoffs and am top 2 or 3 in points.. but with JTs leauge the set up keeps you much more involved, mid year i figured id try to rebuild, almost dealt Pujols, three times actually, but made a good amount of trades and some of my future players have panned out to be impacts this year. Sure its luck.. but if you saw earlier, my luck factor is in the negative. But playing in a Roto keeper league this year.. Its just not as fun... some reason I cant just get into it as much, I was in second place for majority of the season.. hit some injuries dropped to 6th... I just didnt find it as fun.. but it could also be that playing in JTs leauge have given me huge expectations for any leauge im going to play in
RyanK
General Manager
General Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby Hobbes » Tue Aug 15, 2006 6:34 pm

I've read through this entire thread, and I understand both points of view. I've only played H2H, so my experience with roto is nil. However, my concern about roto has always been that the race comes down to very few teams in the last third of the season, and there is little motivation for other teams to stay involved.

Perhaps that isn't so much a problem with leagues formed here, or with groups of players who are very knowledgeable and active. But I play with people I know from other forums, and frankly they aren't all fantasy baseball experts. The are knowledgeable baseball fans, but hardly experts in fantasy. I like playing H2H because here we are in mid-August, and only 2 teams out of 12 are out of the playoff chase. This makes it more fun for everybody, and they are all still involved and interested.

I will also add that I don't play for money, just for fun. I can totally understand that when big money is involved, roto is the way to go. I wouldn't want to lose serious cash due to the vagaries of H2H. It does seem that playing for money is a big factor in many people's preference for roto.
Hobbes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Fpower » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:50 pm

I've played both. H2H seems more fun in the sense that you can be a little more flexible. I like being able to sacrifice during the regular season in an attempt to pick up guys I think will pay off for the playoffs.
Fpower
College Coach
College Coach

Postby bigh0rt » Tue Aug 15, 2006 10:29 pm

Kurtangletn wrote:I've never tried h2h in baseball, I've avoided it.

But, I do know i'll be doing h2h in my hockey league next year, there is litteraly only 3, maybe 4 people who are active including me. I want a league where I know people will be there come August, I can't really blame them for not being here now in roto where there have been burried all year.

I think roto is fine if your really into it, but if you have casual fans, h2h is alot better.

I'm far from a casual fan, but H2H ring my bell. ;-)
bigh0rt
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 326)

Postby United_I_Stand » Wed Aug 16, 2006 2:10 am

daullaz wrote:

The end.

Not all leagues are like that. The competitive leagues you need to do a lot more that rotate your pitchers each week to win. It sounds to me like your comparing all H2H leagues everywhere against a few Yahoo Public H2H leagues you've played in.

Actually I've never played a public H2H league, i imagine thats abject pointlessness (spend 4 months trying to finish top half in a league thats likely atleast half dead - can't be much of a challenge).

I play in a h2h friends leagues, with a group of experienced fantasy players each year (ie. the only reason i would play h2h is because it's the groups preference). The level of competition doesn't really change things. Playing the vast majority of the season to only eliminate half the teams is mind numbingly boring.
United_I_Stand
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers