Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Who is right?

ME
90%
The commissioner and the rest of the league
10%

Total votes : 52

Postby echrisl » Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:52 pm

I do think that change is a good idea, but not for your upcoming draft. Changing rules during the year is beyond silly, it's basically cheating.

I've quit leagues whose commish pushed through mid-season rules changes, because if the commish is going to cheat, then there isn't much point.

If your league wants to make a change, they need to do it after the season, and institute it after next year's draft. There is no excuse for making a change like this unless EVERY owner is in favor of an immediate change.
Using a key to gouge expletives on another's vehicle is a sign of trust and friendship.
echrisl
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby ukrneal » Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:50 am

Another agreement. You don't change rules mid-season.
ukrneal
General Manager
General Manager

Postby pangbones » Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:34 am

The rule is a good one, but it shouldn't be implemented until next year. You can't change the rules mid season, because you and other teams were building/managing their teams under the the "old" rules and that is not fair. I like the rule though. We use it in our Football keeper league. And it has worked fairly well.
pangbones
General Manager
General Manager

Fantasy Expert

Postby Old_Style » Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:40 am

pangbones wrote:The rule is a good one, but it shouldn't be implemented until next year. You can't change the rules mid season, because you and other teams were building/managing their teams under the the "old" rules and that is not fair. I like the rule though. We use it in our Football keeper league. And it has worked fairly well.

i like the rule as well, but rule change is what the off season is for.
anyways, that's a valid strategy for keeper leagues...if you don't have a chance to win it this year, why not try to start on next season?
Old_Style
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby PyRo8 » Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:49 am

here's an easy solution. 1 of 2 things u can do...

1) quit the league cuz it sounds like pretty bs neways... changing the rules mid(more like end of the)season. i cant imagine there r still retards that do this lol

2) ask to be commissioner for next year. if u get it, say there's been a new rule change. lock all their teams and bench all their players. part of the new rules boys... lol. o yea, then accuse them of tanking the season.
PyRo8
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby converge241 » Sat Aug 12, 2006 9:16 am

no way should this be changed now
converge241
General Manager
General Manager

(Past Year: 99)

Postby Lofunzo » Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:18 pm

If this is exactly as you said, it's not fair. You left out who you traded. That could make a difference. That said, rules shouldn't be changed after the draft. I would tell them that part of the dtrategy in a keeper league is to look towards the future if you have no hope for this season. If you can't do that, what is the point in having a keeper league?? So the good teams can get better and the worst teams can continue to be cellar dwellers??
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby 1337_Dude » Sat Aug 12, 2006 8:26 pm

If I were you I'd ask them to implement the change next year as this years rules were already agreed upon. If they decide to screw you over then I'd quit the league. You never change a leagues rules mid-season unless you everyone agrees to it.
1337_Dude
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby JTWood » Sun Aug 13, 2006 12:22 am

BritSox wrote:Rule NUMERO UNO of any kind of FBB league is:

YOU DON'T CHANGE THE MOTHERLOVING RULES ONCE THE SEASON IS UNDERWAY.

Unless something in the rules is found to be terribly broken, this is the rule to follow.

Like I said in the "Furious" thread: Post a link to this thread on your league's message board. Have them join here. We'll gently insert our feet into their bums.

;-D
JTWood
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterEagle EyeWeb Supporter

Postby johnsamo » Sun Aug 13, 2006 4:25 am

quit the league, they're bums. you don't change rules midseason.... ever.

What was the deal btw?

If it's a partial keeper league with a snake draft, having the first pick isn't a huge advantage because everybody else picks twice before you get your 2nd pick. Seriously, if the top players are already locked up as keepers, does having picks 1 and 24 really give a big advantage over the league champ who' s got picks 12 and 13?

There's nothing wrong with a fire sale to improve your keeper roster if you're out of it, though informally, when a player decides he's not going to win and is focussed on improving his keeper list, he announces it on the boards, and the offers come rolling in from whoever is interested, and the firesaler can offer deals too. To not announce it and to do a trade quietly, especially if you and he are best friends or something, well, it kind of looks bad. but changing rules in midseason is never acceptable.

It would never happen in my league anyway, but our league actually has a Constitution about how the league is run. In our 12 team league, to change anything, it requires a 10 to 12 majority vote, although so far, informally, in every new rule change idea, if the vote wasn't going to be unanimous, we never voted. There's just sort of an informal Gentleman's agreement we've had since the league is running along smoothly as is, and we don't want to change anything that upsets even one owner.

But if a change is made, and this is key, it doesn't take affect until the next season. This last off season, we changed the keeper rules to benefit the lower-ranked teams a bit, but it doesn't go into affect until this upcoming offseason. Our problem was, there are 10 very good fantasy baseball managers in our league and two guys (who are great guys) but the just suck at FB. And it's getting worse, because each year, they make horrible trades, stupid drops, and now, their potential keepers are with 1 or 2 exceptions, guys we wouldn't even consider keeping, so next year, starting from bottom to first, all the players not announced as keepers go into a pool, and we have a 2 round "keeper upgrade" draft, that you can either switch out a keeper each round, or you can pass and not draft... It was basically done so that, every year, no matter how bad they managed their roster, they can crawl back up a little closer to parity each year, at least before they start making dumb moves again. :-t
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers