Who is right?

ME
90%
The commissioner and the rest of the league
10%

Total votes : 52

Commisioner Collusion?

Postby robeyryan » Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:33 pm

Hey guys... not sure where to post this, and this is the only place I could really find.....

Anyway, I am in a first year Yahoo money keeper league... My team isn't very good at all, and about 3 weeks ago I traded away some good guys (they were old), for Felix and Jeremy Sowers, building for next year... So my chances at winning at all this year were pretty much zero..

About 3 days ago, my commissioner takes the advice of the team in first place and changes next year's draft order. Now, instead of me (last place) getting the # 1 pick, the best NON playoff team is getting the # 1 pick, and I am getting the last pick before the playoff teams.

He claims it is to 'motivate' teams to finish out the season strong...

My arguements are that

1) if HE happens to fall out of the race (he is 3.5 games to the good) that HE would recieve the # 1 overall pick.

2) There are only three weeks remaining in the season... not much I can do with all the motivation in the world. Changing rules in the middle (in this case near end) of a season is never good.

3) Putting it to a league vote is ridiculous because 3/4 of the league would either be getting a top 3 draft pick or making the playoffs.

Of course, since I am argueing his decision, league members, AND the commissioner are saying that I've been tanking games to lose on purpose, which is totally not true... I field the best team possible, although that team isn't very good.

I was just wondering what your guys' views on this were? Am I crazy, or is this one of the worst decisions you've ever seen? I told them i was fine with it if we started it NEXT year, because everyone would know... and of course that led to them once again saying I was just trying to lose.

Let me know your thoughts!

-Ryan
robeyryan
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Postby jake_harv88 » Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:35 pm

yeah the rules should'nt be changed half way through unless its put to a vote. I think if it was voted on then you gotta let it happen. i like the new rule though but it sucks with only 3 weeks left...
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 24)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby BritSox » Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:40 pm

Quit the league, if they're going to be such douches as to accuse you of tanking deliberately. Rule NUMERO UNO of any kind of FBB league is:

YOU DON'T CHANGE THE MOTHERLOVING RULES ONCE THE SEASON IS UNDERWAY.
BritSox
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicMock(ing) DrafterLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
Location: You don't care, do you? No... because you're unconscious.

Postby noseeum » Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:54 pm

I don't necessarily agree with Britsox about quitting the league, but I agree that in almost every situation you can't change rules in the middle of the season.

If it harms ANYONE in the league, it's unfair. Doesn't matter if a majority wants to change it. Ever hear of tyranny of the majority? Gotta protect the little guy as well.

Even if you were tanking games, that doesn't matter. Under the current rules, that would be a valid strategy. That's not against the current rules. Don't say that to them of course, but tell them bringing up your tanking games is sidestepping the issue and beside the point. How you're playing has nothing to do with whether it's OK to change rules. Don't even defend yourself. Just tell them it doesn't matter.

You conducted yourself, including your keeper trade, under a given set of rules. Changing them after the fact hurts you. Maybe you said "OK, this deal works for me next year, and if I happen to lose more games because I stink this year, my draft pick goes higher." Maybe that was the thing that finally sold you on that trade. For them to change the rules after that trade is unfair.

Fine to change the rule, but not until next year.
noseeum
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Matthias » Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:00 pm

noseeum wrote:I don't necessarily agree with Britsox about quitting the league, but I agree that in almost every situation you can't change rules in the middle of the season.

If it harms ANYONE in the league, it's unfair. Doesn't matter if a majority wants to change it. Ever hear of tyranny of the majority? Gotta protect the little guy as well.

Even if you were tanking games, that doesn't matter. Under the current rules, that would be a valid strategy. That's not against the current rules. Don't say that to them of course, but tell them bringing up your tanking games is sidestepping the issue and beside the point. How you're playing has nothing to do with whether it's OK to change rules. Don't even defend yourself. Just tell them it doesn't matter.

You conducted yourself, including your keeper trade, under a given set of rules. Changing them after the fact hurts you. Maybe you said "OK, this deal works for me next year, and if I happen to lose more games because I stink this year, my draft pick goes higher." Maybe that was the thing that finally sold you on that trade. For them to change the rules after that trade is unfair.

Fine to change the rule, but not until next year.

Agree 100%.

The most diplomatic way to approach it is to point out that it sounds like a good idea; but a good idea for next year.
0-3 to 4-3. Worst choke in the history of baseball. Enough said.
Matthias
General Manager
General Manager

Postby bleach168 » Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:13 pm

Never change rules mid-season unless it is unanimous.
bleach168
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy Expert
(Past Year: 16)

Postby The Jury » Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:18 pm

It is not legit to change the rules midseason unless you have 100% agreement from all league managers. It's not worth playing under that Commish. Feel free to show him this thead too.

Yep, your league can switch to that rule, but shouldn't until the 2008 draft.
[quote:4fef447375="Geek"]The odds of the AL MVP coming from the American League are looking pretty good.[/quote]
The Jury
General Manager
General Manager

Postby robeyryan » Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:02 pm

This link has now been posted on the league's message board... so I'm sure some of the owners will come on here bashing me... :-°
robeyryan
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Dcon » Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:11 pm

I couldn't agree more, you don't change rules midseason unless it is 100% agreement otherwise it's total bush league.
Dcon
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Starkmadfan » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:07 pm

The Jury wrote:It is not legit to change the rules midseason unless you have 100% agreement from all league managers. It's not worth playing under that Commish. Feel free to show him this thead too.

Yep, your league can switch to that rule, but shouldn't until the 2008 draft.

Agreed - rules do not change mid season - no justification for it - this is why I feel Commishs shouldn't have teams in the leagues they oversee - this sort of abuse.
Help me out here? : http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2321827#2321827

Artwork by madaslives911
Starkmadfan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers