Alex Gordon & Billy Butler - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Alex Gordon & Billy Butler

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Alex Gordon & Billy Butler

Postby Havok1517 » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:44 am

According to ESPN's Jerry Crasnick, the Royals have no plans to call up either Alex Gordon or Billy Butler when rosters expand next month.

Crasnick speculated that, "I think they'll get a shot in spring training, but I suspect they won't be up until after the 2007 season begins." With Mark Teahen playing well, the Royals have been extremely conservative with Gordon, and Butler is still just 20 years old.
Source: ESPN.com
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 119)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:46 am

Booooo!
Why let them get a taste of the majors now when they could be sitting at home doing nothing. :-t
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 353)

Postby The Loveable Losers » Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:08 pm

Yeah, I've been starting to worry about this a bit myself. I'm thinking that the Royals might be seriously considering a mid-to-late 2007 Gordon call-up with a mid-to-late 2008 call-up for Butler to give them more time to build up a competitive team before they start the arbitration clock on these two. I don't like it...I really need Gordon to be in the opening day lineup in 2007 AND I think they'll both be ready to start at that point...but I can see the mindset that might end up keeping them both down that long.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby Pogotheostrich » Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:30 pm

The Loveable Losers wrote:Yeah, I've been starting to worry about this a bit myself. I'm thinking that the Royals might be seriously considering a mid-to-late 2007 Gordon call-up with a mid-to-late 2008 call-up for Butler to give them more time to build up a competitive team before they start the arbitration clock on these two. I don't like it...I really need Gordon to be in the opening day lineup in 2007 AND I think they'll both be ready to start at that point...but I can see the mindset that might end up keeping them both down that long.
I was under the impress that if they came up in Sept. it didn't start the arbitration clock. :-?
Pogotheostrich
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 353)

Postby The Loveable Losers » Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:52 pm

Pogotheostrich wrote:
The Loveable Losers wrote:Yeah, I've been starting to worry about this a bit myself. I'm thinking that the Royals might be seriously considering a mid-to-late 2007 Gordon call-up with a mid-to-late 2008 call-up for Butler to give them more time to build up a competitive team before they start the arbitration clock on these two. I don't like it...I really need Gordon to be in the opening day lineup in 2007 AND I think they'll both be ready to start at that point...but I can see the mindset that might end up keeping them both down that long.
I was under the impress that if they came up in Sept. it didn't start the arbitration clock. :-?

You're correct...what I meant is that they aren't likely to start the year in 2007 with the team due to the arbitration clock. And Butler probably won't be until mid-2008 with a possible Sept. 2007 call-up because the team has stated they'd like to space the two out as much as possible.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Hobbes » Sat Aug 12, 2006 3:54 pm

I will say that Dayton Moore (new Royals GM) knows what he is doing with young talent. If he thinks they should stay in the minors, rest assured that it is in the best interest of the players and the team over the long term.
Hobbes
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Loveable Losers » Sun Aug 13, 2006 10:11 am

It was just reported at Rotowire that Gordon will NOT be getting a Sept. call-up this year. I would assume this all but scuttles his chances of starting the year with the big-league team (or KC...I guess calling them a big-league team is a stretch) next year.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby nakgxf » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:47 pm

I am a loyal Royals fan, and I can tell you that the word consistently coming from Dayton Moore in various media outlets (talk radio, newspaper, online) is that neither of these guys have any chance of coming up this year. He has said that MAYBE they will get a shot around the All-Star Break in '07, but that would be the earliest.

And just wait...soon the Royals will be more than just a big league ball club.
nakgxf
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Loveable Losers » Tue Aug 15, 2006 8:49 pm

nakgxf wrote:I am a loyal Royals fan, and I can tell you that the word consistently coming from Dayton Moore in various media outlets (talk radio, newspaper, online) is that neither of these guys have any chance of coming up this year. He has said that MAYBE they will get a shot around the All-Star Break in '07, but that would be the earliest.

And just wait...soon the Royals will be more than just a big league ball club.

I'm curious if you've heard anything solid on the timing of the call-up for these two relative to each other. I've heard vague rumors and innuendo that the team wants to space their call-ups out quite a bit but I'd like to see if someone has heard something a bit more solid than what I've heard.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Return to Injuries & Player Updates