Liriano DONE FOR SEASON?? MAYBE - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Liriano DONE FOR SEASON?? MAYBE

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby zevon » Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:57 pm

Just heard on NESN that the Twins say he will be "shut down indefinitely." Sounds like they're not gonna hurry him back, which is the right thing for the kid's future IMO.
Not the greatest thing for my team, but what are ya gonna do?
zevon
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Loveable Losers » Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:59 pm

zevon wrote:Just heard on NESN that the Twins say he will be "shut down indefinitely." Sounds like they're not gonna hurry him back, which is the right thing for the kid's future IMO.

Honestly it's probably the best thing for your team as well. The last thing any team needs is him going out there hurt and tossing up a couple of homers before being pulled from the game and trashing your era/whip for the week in the process.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:06 pm

My wife is an occupational therapist, and she told me to stay away from Ben Sheets this year. She also said Mark Prior is a hypochondriac. I didn't even tell her the player names, I just summarized their injury history and asked her opinion. In fact, she barely knows any players (Torii Hunter, Joe Mauer & Johan Santana are the only exceptions).

I'd say she was 2-for-2 on those calls. People in health care may or may not know baseball, but they know the human body and they know about injuries, recovery, etc.
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Postby zevon » Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:19 pm

The Loveable Losers wrote:
zevon wrote:Just heard on NESN that the Twins say he will be "shut down indefinitely." Sounds like they're not gonna hurry him back, which is the right thing for the kid's future IMO.

Honestly it's probably the best thing for your team as well. The last thing any team needs is him going out there hurt and tossing up a couple of homers before being pulled from the game and trashing your era/whip for the week in the process.

True dat!
zevon
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Starkmadfan » Tue Aug 15, 2006 12:15 am

This is from fanball newsbreakers:

Twins starter Francisco Liriano, on the disabled list with a sore shoulder and elbow strain, will have a throwing session on Tuesday consisting of light tosses from 60 feet with a chance he'll back out to 40 feet. Minnesota pitching coach Rick Anderson told the Minneapolis Star Tribune that the session will only last a few minutes as they check to see if there is any pain in Liriano's elbow.
Our View

Liriano is still out indefinitely, but with the Twins in the thick of a wild card race, the team is hoping the young phenom can recover quickly and be back by the end of the month.

http://www.fanball.com/bb/newsbreakers.cfm/startRow.21/numRows.20
Help me out here? : http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2321827#2321827

Artwork by madaslives911
Starkmadfan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby SwingandaMiss » Tue Aug 15, 2006 7:20 am

yeah, there's been some controversy over this one...

Kelly Thesier, of Minnesota.Twins.MLB.com, reports despite rumors he was going to play catch Tuesday, Aug. 15, Minnesota Twins SP Francisco Liriano (forearm/elbow/shoulder) has been shut down until he is examined by doctors later in the week.
(KFFL)
SwingandaMiss
College Coach
College Coach

Postby sox 06 » Tue Aug 15, 2006 2:15 pm

Here are some updates from Yahoo!

Aug 10 An MRI of Liriano's sore elbow and forearm showed only a mild chronic strain of his ulnar collateral ligament and he won't need surgery, the Associated Press reports. He's still out indefinitely. However, no new injury and no structural damage was found to his throwing arm.

Recommendation: Another exam revealed weakness and stiffness in his shoulder that is causing soreness in his forearm near his elbow. The Twins feel he can rehab the injury. While he doesn't need surgery, there still doesn't appear to be any more clarity over when he may return this season. Still, this sounds about the best-case scenario and he may be able to return and be a factor for the Twins this season.

Aug 14 Kelly Thesier, of Minnesota.Twins.MLB.com, reports despite rumors he was going to play catch Tuesday, Aug. 15, Minnesota Twins SP Francisco Liriano (forearm/elbow/shoulder) has been shut down until he is examined by doctors later in the week.
sox 06
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicEagle Eye

Postby masarume » Tue Aug 15, 2006 4:02 pm

I think for the sake of Liriano's future, he should be shut down for the rest of the season.

I don't see the point of him going out there again. Get Garza some starts so next year, you'll have a loaded rotation ;-D
masarume

Hockey Mod
(Past Year: 1)
Home Cafe: Hockey

Postby bloodface » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:22 pm

They just announced during the game that Liriano indeed did not play catch today, and the plan is to have him play catch later in the week.
bloodface
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer
Home Cafe: Basketball

Postby bloodface » Tue Aug 15, 2006 9:30 pm

They just announced during the game that Liriano indeed did not play catch today, and the plan is to have him play catch later in the week.
bloodface
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Cafe Writer
Home Cafe: Basketball

Previous

Return to Injuries & Player Updates