Liriano DONE FOR SEASON?? MAYBE - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Liriano DONE FOR SEASON?? MAYBE

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby The Loveable Losers » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:01 am

You might want to edit your title...very misleading as none of this is new news and the DONE FOR THE SEASON part of your title is simply not true at this point. He may be done for the season, he may not. My wife (an orthapedic medical transcriptionist) and I both tend to think he's toast but that doesn't mean I'm going to post a DONE FOR THE SEASON thread. Wait until the news is official to make posts like this.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby TurdFerguson » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:32 am

The Loveable Losers wrote:You might want to edit your title...very misleading as none of this is new news and the DONE FOR THE SEASON part of your title is simply not true at this point. He may be done for the season, he may not. My wife (an orthapedic medical transcriptionist) and I both tend to think he's toast but that doesn't mean I'm going to post a DONE FOR THE SEASON thread. Wait until the news is official to make posts like this.

This is the same injury he had in the minors and only missed 4 starts.The only way he would be toast is if the Twins are ultra conservative with him,which is probably the case.The news could'nt have been any better IMO for Liriano.They just need to find a way to keep his shoulder strong,but no structural damage.
TurdFerguson
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby TurdFerguson » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:33 am

TurdFerguson wrote:
The Loveable Losers wrote:You might want to edit your title...very misleading as none of this is new news and the DONE FOR THE SEASON part of your title is simply not true at this point. He may be done for the season, he may not. My wife (an orthapedic medical transcriptionist) and I both tend to think he's toast but that doesn't mean I'm going to post a DONE FOR THE SEASON thread. Wait until the news is official to make posts like this.

This is the same injury he had in the minors and only missed 4 starts.The only way he would be toast is if the Twins are ultra conservative with him,which is probably the case.The news could'nt have been any better IMO for Liriano.They just need to find a way to keep his shoulder strong,but thank God no structural damage.
TurdFerguson
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

(Past Year: 3)

Postby The Loveable Losers » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:52 am

TurdFerguson wrote:

This is the same injury he had in the minors and only missed 4 starts.The only way he would be toast is if the Twins are ultra conservative with him,which is probably the case.The news could'nt have been any better IMO for Liriano.They just need to find a way to keep his shoulder strong,but no structural damage.

Something doesn't sound right to me here. My wife thinks that there may be some rotator cuff issues that come out of this if they're not extremely careful (if there aren't some already that they're just not talking about). Four starts sounds about right if everything breaks perfectly but there's no guarantees when it comes to a pitcher's shoulder.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby Mugrila » Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:50 am

I have him locked up in my keeper league so I hope they do what they need to do in order for him to be fully healthy. :-/
Mugrila
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Champion

Postby Nomarrrrrrrrrr » Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:59 pm

The Loveable Losers wrote:
TurdFerguson wrote:

Something doesn't sound right to me here. My wife thinks that there may be some rotator cuff issues that come out of this if they're not extremely careful (if there aren't some already that they're just not talking about). Four starts sounds about right if everything breaks perfectly but there's no guarantees when it comes to a pitcher's shoulder.

Why would the guesses of a medical transcriptionist matter any more than joe schmoe taking a guess? Dropping that info like it gives you some sort of credibility is hilarious. Obviously if his shoulder is weak he has potential rotator cuff problems, but they have put him on a weight training program to deal with it. Like everyone else has said, he will be back if the Twinkies are in contention. In other words, Liriano owners are now great fans of Garza, Boof, and Radke.
Nomarrrrrrrrrr
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby The Loveable Losers » Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:18 pm

Nomarrrrrrrrrr wrote:Why would the guesses of a medical transcriptionist matter any more than joe schmoe taking a guess? Dropping that info like it gives you some sort of credibility is hilarious. Obviously if his shoulder is weak he has potential rotator cuff problems, but they have put him on a weight training program to deal with it. Like everyone else has said, he will be back if the Twinkies are in contention. In other words, Liriano owners are now great fans of Garza, Boof, and Radke.

I'd trust the opinions of someone that listens to hundreds of hours of orthopedic surgeons diagnosing issues over Joe Schmoe any day of the week and twice on Thursdays. She's right a hell of a lot more than the stickies at Yahoo have been this year and she's just about as accurate as Will Carroll. The only down side is that she has to go just on the news I can get for her online whereas Carroll has contacts from which he can get good information.

I'm glad you find it hilarious though...good to brighten someone's day like that.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Postby KTM » Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:56 pm

Liriano has had surgery before - I think on his shoulder but I'm not quite sure. You can do a google search and find out more if interested. I know when he came to the twins they changed his delivery to over the top so as to avoid repeating the injury.

As far as my fantasy team that's the way things go sometimes. I just feel bad for the kid - he was having a sensational monster breakout year and had ignited a struggling club. I kind of doubt he will be back this year. If the rotation struggles and the Twins fall out of contention there's no reason to bring him back. If the twins keep winning and the rotation holds together they might decide to play it safe and shelf him. Hopefully the team can analyze his delivery and make some adjustments to avoid the injury in the future. Also put him on a strength and conditioning program to make him less prone to injury in the future. Heck he might come back stronger next year (if that's possible).
KTM
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Mashug » Fri Aug 11, 2006 6:03 pm

Nomarrrrrrrrrr wrote:
The Loveable Losers wrote:
TurdFerguson wrote:

Why would the guesses of a medical transcriptionist matter any more than joe schmoe taking a guess? Dropping that info like it gives you some sort of credibility is hilarious. Obviously if his shoulder is weak he has potential rotator cuff problems, but they have put him on a weight training program to deal with it. Like everyone else has said, he will be back if the Twinkies are in contention. In other words, Liriano owners are now great fans of Garza, Boof, and Radke.

Wow, that was totally uncalled for.
Mashug
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates