Jonathan Broxton - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Jonathan Broxton

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Jonathan Broxton

Postby Super Manny » Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:16 am

I'm curious as to what other Cafe members think about Broxton in LA.

I just picked him up in my 6x6 roto league that scores holds. With Baez trading in his Dodger Blue for the Tomahawk Chop, Broxton appears to be the beneficiary of the main set-up duties for the rest of the season. The kid seems to have nasty stuff (98 MPH fastball, mid-80's splitter, low-90's slider), a somewhat deceptive delivery, and is a true power pitcher (62 K in 52.1 IP). With Gagne gimpy, I don't think anyone would argue that this guy is the future of the Dodgers' pen.

How do you see Broxton performing over the rest of the season, especially in leagues that value set-up men/MR and score holds?

"When you don't feel good and you still get hits, that's when you know you are a bad man." -Manuel A. Ramirez
Super Manny
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Re: Jonathan Broxton

Postby RynMan » Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:24 am

Super Manny wrote:I'm curious as to what other Cafe members think about Broxton in LA.

I just picked him up in my 6x6 roto league that scores holds. With Baez trading in his Dodger Blue for the Tomahawk Chop, Broxton appears to be the beneficiary of the main set-up duties for the rest of the season. The kid seems to have nasty stuff (98 MPH fastball, mid-80's splitter, low-90's slider), a somewhat deceptive delivery, and is a true power pitcher (62 K in 52.1 IP). With Gagne gimpy, I don't think anyone would argue that this guy is the future of the Dodgers' pen.

How do you see Broxton performing over the rest of the season, especially in leagues that value set-up men/MR and score holds?

I think it's inevitable. He will be on my radar for next season's draft. I just don't see Saito as a long term solution.
RynMan
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerAward-Winning Graphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby fbc_fan » Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:54 am

he should get the lion's share of the setup duties. his numbers this year look nice, the whip's a little on the high side, but he's posted good minor league numbers and was always a highly regarded prospect. in a holds league he looks like a good pickup for the rest of the year.

i'd also have to agree with rynman, he should be a great late round pickup next year.
thanks to madison/go_jays_go for the slick sig!
fbc_fan
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Re: Jonathan Broxton

Postby The Artful Dodger » Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:58 pm

RynMan wrote:
Super Manny wrote:I'm curious as to what other Cafe members think about Broxton in LA.

I think it's inevitable. He will be on my radar for next season's draft. I just don't see Saito as a long term solution.

Agreed. ;-D Broxton is a power pitcher much in the same ilk of the old Gagne without that killer changeup. He tends to get himself into jams, but of late, he hasn't allowed a run in quite a while. I see Broxton as a valuable source of holds and in the long run, he's the closer of the future, although I tend to think with his frame, he's better suited as an NFL defensive end. :-b

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Postby Drunken Rhino » Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:04 pm

While I agree that Broxton is the future in L.A. (2008ish), I just don't see what Saito has done to lose his job...

76k/56ip, .94WHIP, 2.40 ERA, and only 1 BS? Yeah he's 36, but is that enough of a reason just to give Broxton a shot? Not if his #'s stay this good...

Also, how many Hs does Broxton actually have?
Drunken Rhino
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Submariner » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:27 pm

Saito kind of reminds me of Takatsu.
Sucking since 2003
Submariner
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Postby Super Manny » Sat Aug 12, 2006 1:42 am

Drunken Rhino wrote:Also, how many Hs does Broxton actually have?

He currently has 6 holds and just picked up his 2nd save of the season tonight. ;-D

"When you don't feel good and you still get hits, that's when you know you are a bad man." -Manuel A. Ramirez
Super Manny
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Graphics Expert

Postby flowbee » Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:16 am

I have saito and am probably going to get broxton as insurance, and forget about speculating about crappy closers like Mcclung.....Broxton will probably "steal" some more saves from Saito when he's not available, get a couple more vulture wins, and he has great K/era/whip ratios
flowbee
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Havok1517 » Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:32 am

Broxton will close next year of Gagne proves he can't stay healthy. Broxton is the closer of the future for the Dodgers.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 122)

Postby The Artful Dodger » Sat Aug 12, 2006 2:35 pm

Havok1517 wrote:Broxton will close next year of Gagne proves he can't stay healthy. Broxton is the closer of the future for the Dodgers.

I think it's highly unlikely that we're going to re-sign Gagne to a new contract. I believe Broxton will be the permanent closer as soon as next season and probably at this time next year, Broxton will be the man.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers