Ervin Santana out after 0.1 IPs.... - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Ervin Santana out after 0.1 IPs....

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Ervin Santana out after 0.1 IPs....

Postby Slow Pitch » Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:28 pm

They are saying leg injury on CBS....any news from someone watching the game?

Not what I needed after losing Lirano this week already.
Slow Pitch
General Manager
General Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Another Blown Save » Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:35 pm

Rotoworld wrote:Ervin Santana left Thursday's game in the first inning with a left leg injury after being hit by a line drive.
Santana was hit right on the inside of the left knee, and he collapsed to the ground in pain. It initially looked like he might have a broken bone, but he was able to put some weight on the leg as he was helped off, suggesting that it might not be a severe injury. Hector Carrasco or Kevin Gregg would likely move into the rotation if Santana requires a DL stint. Gregg replaced him tonight.
Mat Latos - Sponsored by the Fantasy Baseball Cafe!
Another Blown Save
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerSweet 16 SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner

Postby Philliebuster » Thu Aug 10, 2006 7:53 pm

I was watchin, he looked to be in a good amount of pain, hit him on the inside of the knee, ball bounced off his knee and rolled to midway between 1st and home plate about 5' past the foul line, where the catcher played the ball, good bounce...so it must have hit him square.
Philliebuster
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby johnsamo » Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:47 am

Looked really bad innitially, definitely ball on bone contact and he collapsed in severe pain and people were readying the stretcher then he got up and walked off the field unassisted, with a limp, but considering how he first reacted, I think the worry was a bone break, but he woudn't be walking off in that case. I'm guessing at worst it's a bone contusion, ala what Dave Roberts had. Roberts was out two weeks, but the good news is, a baseball isn't as hard as a concrete wall. Might miss a start or perhaps just delay a few days. Could be a good rest for his arm actually.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby XHendrix » Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:03 am

johnsamo wrote:Looked really bad innitially, definitely ball on bone contact and he collapsed in severe pain and people were readying the stretcher then he got up and walked off the field unassisted, with a limp, but considering how he first reacted, I think the worry was a bone break, but he woudn't be walking off in that case. I'm guessing at worst it's a bone contusion, ala what Dave Roberts had. Roberts was out two weeks, but the good news is, a baseball isn't as hard as a concrete wall. Might miss a start or perhaps just delay a few days. Could be a good rest for his arm actually.

that makes me feel better that he got up.
XHendrix
College Coach
College Coach

Home Cafe: Football

Postby johnsamo » Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:03 am

Also gives Mosely another chance to come up maybe. He's no Weaver or Saunders, but he had a good first start and would still have the unknown affect.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby smoovethug » Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:45 am

I saw the highlights of it and it looked pretty gruesome. Pretty tough to walk off the field after that.

Hal·la·day, n. 1. every fifth day in Philadelphia. 2. a day of rest for the bullpen. 3. innings eater. 4. doc. 5. ace.
smoovethug
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertGolden Eagle EyeWeb SupporterLucky Ladders ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerTrivia Time Trial Monthly Winner
(Past Year: 23)

Postby SlightlyStoopid » Fri Aug 11, 2006 4:24 pm

Xray was negative, nothing broken. Even if he makes his next start you know that knee is still going to be hurting. Owners better hope it doesn't screw up his machanics and cause an arm injury.

From http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/recap?gameId=260810105

He tried to talk manager Mike Scioscia into not removing him.

"It was very bad," Santana said. "I thought it was broken or something. I told Mike I wanted to stay in, but he said, 'No, no, you're done.' It was hit too hard. Tomorrow I know it will hurt, but that's OK. I'll be ready for my next start."

Scioscia wasn't as sure.

"It hit about as square as a ball can hit someone," he said. "There's no structural damage. It's a deep bruise. It could have been worse, but it still could be bad. We're optimistic, but won't know for a couple days."
SlightlyStoopid
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby johnsamo » Fri Aug 11, 2006 10:03 pm

It's basically just like a bruise to the skin. When the bone gets hit hard but doesn't break, the surface blood vessels on the bone can break. There's no structural damage done, but it hurts for a few days to 10 days top when that part of the bone moves against the skin too much. I saw it as it happened, and I thought he broke some bone for sure based on how hard it came off his knee and how much pain he was in. He was literally shaking liked he had just been shot or something.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby avstars » Sat Aug 12, 2006 12:57 am

They say on the Yankees broadcast that Santana is currently on track to make his next start.
avstars
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Next

Return to Injuries & Player Updates