Prior out after 3 innings? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Prior out after 3 innings?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby BleedDodgerBlue » Fri Aug 11, 2006 7:07 am

Just dropped Prior for Burgos, needed saves and Burgos only active closer on FA. I've had Prior for the good part of the last 3 seasons waiting for him to come around injury-free. Now is the time for you to drop him and for the Cubs to shut him down for the season.
BleedDodgerBlue
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby The Loveable Losers » Fri Aug 11, 2006 9:15 am

Ditka311 wrote:that's crap. i would let him pitch his problems out. what's to gain by putting him on the DL if there is no actual problem? now, if he actually does have an injury, yes sit him. however i think most of his problems are mental and he needs to work them out

I have to agree with this. Prior's problems don't seem to be injury-related. They seem to be rust, confidence and simply re-learning how to locate post-injury. As to whether or not to drop him...that would obviously depend on what you could pick up to replace him and what other players you could drop. But there's no reason the Cubs should shut him down if, as appears to be the case, he is simply healthy and struggling.
The Loveable Losers
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter

Postby costag » Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:02 am

The guy is either damaged goods or a head case! I tried to stick with him but he is killing my team. I couldn't handle having him burn a spot on my roster! Picked up Derek Lowe as a replacement!

Both he and Sheets were driving me nuts!

Ba-Bye!
costag
College Coach
College Coach

Postby BillyHallDisciple » Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:22 pm

"Head case" pretty much sums it up.
BillyHallDisciple
General Manager
General Manager

Postby nolanwood » Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:35 pm

The Loveable Losers wrote:
Ditka311 wrote:that's crap. i would let him pitch his problems out. what's to gain by putting him on the DL if there is no actual problem? now, if he actually does have an injury, yes sit him. however i think most of his problems are mental and he needs to work them out

I have to agree with this. Prior's problems don't seem to be injury-related. They seem to be rust, confidence and simply re-learning how to locate post-injury. As to whether or not to drop him...that would obviously depend on what you could pick up to replace him and what other players you could drop. But there's no reason the Cubs should shut him down if, as appears to be the case, he is simply healthy and struggling.

;-D

Kudos to both posts! He's not hurt, he's rusty and needs to work his problems out on the mound, not be shut down for the rest of the season. So what if he gets rocked out there, the Cubs aren't contending for anything. He has yet to find his groove, nor has he been able to utilize all his pitches. His location will come with time, as will his confidence. It's not like his last few outings he hasn't had the stuff to get guys out. He just doesn't have faith in his pitches to attack batters. I defintely don't think he's a head case, as you can't blame him for being unsure of himself after the events the last couple seasons - line drive off elbow, etc...
nolanwood
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby TGM » Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:43 pm

Well, I dropped him. Picked up Sanchez (SP, Fla.) in his place. At least he's putting up QS.

Prior may very well get it together before the end of the season, assuming his is healthy. Which, is not a given as many a pitcher has admitted after struggling for a lengthy period of time that something just wasn't right physically. But, he could just as easily continue to struggle even if there isn't anything physically wrong. Either way, I don't have the luxury of waiting any longer to find out. For his sake though, I hope he gets it together. Otherwise, I think Baker and the Cubs have ruined a fine young pitcher.

JMO
TGM
Little League Legend
Little League Legend

Home Cafe: Football

Previous

Return to Injuries & Player Updates