is it time to stick a fork in dontrelle? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

is it time to stick a fork in dontrelle?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

is it time to stick a fork in dontrelle?

Postby sinicalypse » Fri Sep 05, 2003 6:32 pm

dontrelle willis, the subject of my hype earlier this year (i remember selling out the dontrelle willis express train and spouting out how he won't just be a one season wonder like fidyrich) has come back to earth in a really big way. he's on my squad in all 3 leagues and hasn't even been started his last few times out.

has anyone who watches the marlins in FL or has MLB season ticket seen the guy pitch lately? did they burn him out, has the league caught up with him, or both?

i ask cuz i see he's starting in montreal either tomorrow or the next day.. and it's the time of year where i'll dump even some of my early to mid season stalwarts (usually not-so-good closers like jorge julio) for spot starts and young players on a hot streak... and now i'm looking at dontrelle much like i did rich harden a week or two ago.. i can't really afford ERA/WHIP hits as i'm only up by like 2-4 points in the two leagues i'm leading right now.. but at the same time, i'm really afraid of dumping dontrelle, then having the guy(s) chasing me pick him up, then he turns around and becomes the pitcher he was in the 1st half and helps out my rival.

hell, i've still got rich harden in a couple of leagues thinking much the same thing.. i saw that he struck out 10 devil rays in his last outing so maybe there's more left in his tank when he faces them again within the next few days.

so what would you do with dontrelle (and harden, for extra credit)... would you a) start him b) bench him or c) shuffle him out of the mix and go for some hot pitcher like steve trachsel?

thx.
sinicalypse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Fri Sep 05, 2003 6:40 pm

I've made most of my Dontrelle moves already. He starts in that little league park in Puerto Rico, then gets the Braves twice, and then the Phillies. Not a favorable schedule at all. If you have some better options, I'd take them.

Willis really helped me this year as well. Nothing against him or his pitching, but the schedule is just too nasty the rest of the year.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Super GM » Fri Sep 05, 2003 6:49 pm

Yeah, his time has come. He has a really tough schedule ahead of him and hasn't been as great as he was in the beginning. I traded him just as he reached his peak and got Todd Helton in return. Of course there were a couple of other players involved in that deal too....
Super GM
General Manager
General Manager

Postby sinicalypse » Fri Sep 05, 2003 7:28 pm

Madison wrote:Willis really helped me this year as well. Nothing against him or his pitching, but the schedule is just too nasty the rest of the year.

dontrelle was a nice shot in the ass that covered a few bad pitching decisions that i made. he really bridged the gap to prior's triumphant return quite well... i just hope that the guy doesn't suck for the rest of his career... he seems plenty likeable, he seems like he has above average stuff... and he'd look mighty fine in cubbie blue, still, when compared to the greatness that is shawn estes.
sinicalypse
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 9)

Postby demoflauchy » Fri Sep 05, 2003 7:35 pm

As Madison said (in a few other posts too), his schedule is not favorable...I'd dump him for spot starters...
demoflauchy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby pkarr5000 » Fri Sep 05, 2003 10:36 pm

im about to drop him right now... big step.... :-t
pkarr5000
General Manager
General Manager

Mock(ing) Drafter

Postby DK » Sat Sep 06, 2003 10:09 am

i wouldn't start tons of pitchers against that schedule, willis included. if you're in a keeper league, just keep him on the bench, if single-season, drop him.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby R-Tehst » Sat Sep 06, 2003 10:44 am

From what I've seen, it looks like he's getting tired. He's getting behind hitters in the count a lot, so he has to throw it right over the plate. He's just not looking as comfortable as he did earlier. drop him if u need the roster spot
R-Tehst
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Guest » Sat Sep 06, 2003 2:24 pm

He is done. He is gassed out and in unchartered waters as far is Innings pitched goes.

He was dumped in 5 of my 6 leagues and it looks like no one is going to pick him up in any of them.

Home Cafe: Football
Friendliness: %

Postby jdh » Sat Sep 06, 2003 4:08 pm

Yeah, stick a fork in him. He was a first half wonder, and I don't think he'll rebound this year or next. The league seems to have figured him out, and the funky delivery alone isn't going to cut it. In a single year league, I'd dump him. In a keeper league, trade him for what you can get to some fool who still believes in him.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers