Is Nomar Damaged Goods? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Injuries & Player Updates

Is Nomar Damaged Goods?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Is Nomar Damaged Goods?

Postby d18Mike » Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:07 pm

Quotes like this always give me pause ... and especially coming from Nomar. With LA's infield log jam, why would they risk putting him in the lineup.

He said this of his knee:

"It's going to be tough to do certain things," Garciaparra said. "[But] I'm glad to be back out there." The team is most concerned about his running the bases, which makes you wonder why he's active in the first place. Keep an eye on this situation, as the potential is there for another DL stint.
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby dc928 » Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:14 pm

He actually try to attempted for a double steal last night, I think he is fine for now. But with Nomar you never know. He is a damage goods to begin with.
dc928
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Re: Is Nomar Damaged Goods?

Postby bigmoney » Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:23 pm

d18Mike wrote:"It's going to be tough to do certain things," Garciaparra said. "[But] I'm glad to be back out there." The team is most concerned about his running the bases, which makes you wonder why he's active in the first place. Keep an eye on this situation, as the potential is there for another DL stint.

was this article written yesterday after he came off DL?
bigmoney
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Philliebuster » Thu Aug 10, 2006 5:11 pm

I consider him a high injury risk.
Philliebuster
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby d18Mike » Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:53 pm

Yes, the article was writtten the day he came off the DL this week.
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby chinst » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:31 pm

MLB.com wrote:Nomar Garciaparra still feels some soreness in his knee, but he is willing to deal with it.

Dodgers manager Grady Little has kept an eye on Garciaparra, especially as he jogged around the bases. Garciaparra has run the bases this week, though only at half-speed. The 90-foot dart to each base could be the team's biggest concern for its first baseman.

"There is a chance he won't be back at full speed," Little said. "We'll watch him closely and not ask him to do anything he can't do."

There could be a pinch-runner for him if he reaches base late in the game on Wednesday, and he will likely have a day off at first base this week. The coaching staff and Garciaparra met and decided a start at first was the best thing upon Garciaparra's return.

"We feel like he's gradually gotten better going out there," Little said. "Barring any freak accident out there, normal play is just going to get him better."

And while there might still be soreness in his right knee due to a sprain suffered while covering second base in July, Garciaparra seemed happy enough just to play.

"[The knee is] attached," he said. "That's all I care about."

Are these people daft? You can't say the words Nomar and freak accident in the same breath! And Nomar is just asking for trouble when he says something about his knee still being attached...

I can see it now:

Rotoworld wrote:The Los Angeles Dodgers placed 1B Nomar Garciaparra on the 60-day DL with mild left-knee dismemberment. The injury occurred Friday against Colorado, when in a third-inning at bat, Rockies' 1B Todd Helton's bat splintered and the barrel flew down towards first base, severing Garciaparra's leg just below mid-thigh. Garciaparra said after the game, "It will be all right, I will play with the pain. I'm just happy they were able to collect all of the pieces. And hey, at least Helton hit something!" After the game, the Dodgers also placed 2B Jeff Kent back on the 15-day DL with osteoporosis and OF JD Drew is listed as day-to-day with severe menstrual cramps and bloating.

Analysis:
This is just Nomar being Nomar. Man, the Dodgers suck.
chinst
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby The Great White Hype » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:33 pm

haha I enjoy a good joke as much as the next guy. That made me chuckle chinst
The Great White Hype
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Return to Injuries & Player Updates