Best 2003 players who will stink in 2004 - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Best 2003 players who will stink in 2004

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby blankman » Fri Sep 05, 2003 6:39 pm

One thing to remember with Sheffield is that this is his contract year. So, unless he signs a one-year contract, I'd expect a fairly large decline from this year. He'll still be a top-10 OF, but not top-3 like this year.
JMO though
blankman
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby LCBOY » Fri Sep 05, 2003 6:41 pm

jdh wrote:Here's a list of some players that I am avoiding in drafts next year and think will be busts:

Pitchers:

2. Schmidt: performance way above anything he's ever done; this year is probably a career year and he has legit injury concerns.

Completely disagree. He is just coming into his own. If you look at his production as a Giant he has gotten better and better. This year he finally put everything together. Last year he didn't pitch well on the road (5.02 ERA) but this year he has pitched extremely well on the road. He reminds of Schilling in that he spent several years trying to harness great talent. Through age 30 Schilling's won-loss record was only 69-63.

Schmidt hasn't been hurt this year. Yes, he missed two starts to rest his arm but he wasn't injured.
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

Postby GSes » Fri Sep 05, 2003 7:06 pm

sorry JDH.

Schmdt is a stud. Have u seen him pich in person or on tv. The guy is NASTY. In fact he is #2 on my list TO TAKE in the draft next year

1. Prior
2. Schmidt
3. Pedro
4. Hudson
5. Schilling

(my next year's top 5)
GSes
General Manager
General Manager

Postby jdh » Fri Sep 05, 2003 7:09 pm

I've seen him on TV several times. The problem I have with him is that he has never won more than 13 games before this season, has a history of serious arm problems, and if this is a breakout season, he's doing it at a very late age. Maybe he is a late bloomer like Schilling, but I would bet against it. I think he'll either spend signifigant time on the DL or have a major drop off next season. I just don't trust him.
jdh
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Sep 05, 2003 7:25 pm

jdh wrote:I've seen him on TV several times. The problem I have with him is that he has never won more than 13 games before this season, has a history of serious arm problems, and if this is a breakout season, he's doing it at a very late age. Maybe he is a late bloomer like Schilling, but I would bet against it. I think he'll either spend signifigant time on the DL or have a major drop off next season. I just don't trust him.

He was either a back of the rotation guy on Atlanta or on a terrible Pirates team. Not much chance for victories there. With the Giants, he is just coming into his own the past 2 years (including this 1). I have also never seen him bring the gas like he has these past 2 years. I say put him on your TO DRAFT list. ;-D

jdh.......I respect the way that you acquire and analyze numbers but in this instance, the numbers DO lie.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby LCBOY » Fri Sep 05, 2003 7:25 pm

jdh wrote:I've seen him on TV several times. The problem I have with him is that he has never won more than 13 games before this season, has a history of serious arm problems, and if this is a breakout season, he's doing it at a very late age. Maybe he is a late bloomer like Schilling, but I would bet against it. I think he'll either spend signifigant time on the DL or have a major drop off next season. I just don't trust him.

The arm problems he had were many years ago. Since he joined the Giants in 2001 he is 34-13, 2.92 ERA, 9.12 Ks per 9 IP, 1.118 WHIP. The reasons he's only won 13 games before was because

1) arm problems at a young age
2) played for the Pirates for six seasons (main reason)

His breakout really started in 2001 when he joined the Giants but nobody noticed other than Giant's fans.
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

Postby demoflauchy » Fri Sep 05, 2003 7:31 pm

I think Schmidt will be a top 5 pitcher year-in and year-out for the next 5 years or so...He doesn't belong on this list!!!
demoflauchy
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Lofunzo » Fri Sep 05, 2003 7:33 pm

LCBOY wrote:His breakout really started in 2001 when he joined the Giants but nobody noticed other than Giant's fans.

And 1 Yankees fan. Check my previous post.
Lofunzo

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe RankerEagle EyeHockey ModPick 3 Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 11)

Postby LCBOY » Fri Sep 05, 2003 8:29 pm

Lofunzo wrote:
LCBOY wrote:His breakout really started in 2001 when he joined the Giants but nobody noticed other than Giant's fans.

And 1 Yankees fan. Check my previous post.

I stand corrected. One Yankees fan noticed. :-b
LCBOY
General Manager
General Manager

Postby eftda » Fri Sep 05, 2003 8:40 pm

ya i agree, but not with schmidt. He is in the top 5 pitchers this season, and will be in the top 5 next season. He might get the CY this year ;-D

eftda
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers