Dirty Play or Good Strategy - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Dirty Play or Good Strategy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby bellings » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:18 pm

Another strategy would be to let one of those top guys get him. I'm even a Twins fan, but I don't expect much out of him this year. He throws like 95% fastballs, and even with great command, that's not going to end well in the majors. I wouldn't be suprised if he gets lit up.
bellings
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Starkmadfan » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:20 pm

The_Idiot wrote:Thanks everybody. Two other owners are still whining claiming I am ruining the league since I have a 20 point lead (5x5 Roto) and Garza's claim will not impact me. I tend to disagree that my lead is that safe.

I guess maybe the only thing I should have done different is gone directly to the #1 or #2 waiver guys and told them individually instead of posting to the whole league.

No lead is safe I feel. I felt that way and skipped Garza (Liriano was healthy at the time) and somone else took an early chance and now....... :-o

While telling the #1 or #2 guy may have been the subtle way to go, announcing it to the entire league has a nice flair to it - gives the league more character - sort of like Steinbrenner saying "I like Abreu" before the trade deadline - you are announcing that you are #1 and you plan to stay that way until someone proves otherwise - I am stuck in way too many leagues where you can hear a pin drop all season long and the only way I know I am dealing with real players is when I see the objections suddenly pop up on my trades ........
Help me out here? : http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2321827#2321827

Artwork by madaslives911
Starkmadfan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby rainman23 » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:46 pm

The_Idiot wrote:Thanks everybody. Two other owners are still whining claiming I am ruining the league since I have a 20 point lead (5x5 Roto) and Garza's claim will not impact me. I tend to disagree that my lead is that safe.

I guess maybe the only thing I should have done different is gone directly to the #1 or #2 waiver guys and told them individually instead of posting to the whole league.

If they're whining about your tactics, they probably would have been shouting "Collusion!" if you'd done it in private. I'm not saying that, but given the reaction you're getting, it's probably just as well that you were very public about it.
rainman23
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Fpower » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:47 pm

I can see why the guys chasing you might whine, but it's not unethical by any means.

You'r basically just alerting the league that there's somebody on waivers whom you think is good. If some of the other owners were hoping that Garza was under the radar, you ruined it for them...but you have the right to talk about free agents as much as you want.
Fpower
College Coach
College Coach

Postby johnsamo » Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:34 pm

When I see a guy emerging but can't pick him up for some reason but don't want my rivals having him, I'll email this guy who's always in last place and recommend him.

But I'm not a big hype chaser. I don't even follow minor leaguer. I've never picked up a player who hasn't played in the show yet. What has Garza done ? Is he this week's flash in the pan or really good?
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby acsguitar » Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:01 pm

I Sent D. Wright over to someone for Liriano and Aramis and the fact that he agreed to pick up Hamels and send him over in the trade as well.

It went smoothly no one complained

I also just completed a trade that was contingent on him sending me over a FA I wanted that I didn't wanna burn a move on since I'm low on moves
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Seanyfever » Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:05 pm

Perfectly fine by my standards
Expos... Gone, but not forgotten.
Seanyfever
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Response Team
(Past Year: 289)

Postby johnsamo » Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:32 pm

The only line you shouldn't cross is if you trade a guy you've got inside info on that he is hurt but that it hasn't become publicly known yet.

Other than that, anything is fair game among adults. I've picked up guys who just got named a closer even if I didn't have a slot for him just to keep a competitor who's close in saves from getting him, I've taken advantage of players who are fans or one particular team to trade a player on his favorite team for a better player, but that's all fair game stuff, anybody in my league can and does do those things.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers