Dirty Play or Good Strategy - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Dirty Play or Good Strategy

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Dirty Play or Good Strategy

Postby The_Idiot » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:09 am

I might have been unethical. What do you think.

12 team league, I have 11th waiver spot. Pretty competive league. I post a message to all owners telling them that if they were lucky enough to claim Matt Garza that I would be interested in trading for him.

By doing this I essentially blocked some of the other oweners chasing me (I am in 1st place) from getting Garza. The owners towards the bottom of the standings have higher waiver priority.
Go OoooooOOOOoooooo'ssssss
Here we Go Steelers!!!
The_Idiot
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 13)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby teddy ballgame » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:15 am

Don't see anything wrong with that. Nice move. ;-D
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mikegp » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:17 am

Don't see anything wrong with it either.
mikegp
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Starkmadfan » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:17 am

I suppose it would only be unethical if you had no intention at all of trading for Garza and some GM gave up their WW position solely on the expectation of being able to trade him to you. However, you didn't make this deal at all with any one GM specifically - and you said you would be "interested" - not that you were offering x player for him.

Can't really say thumbs down - if anything, a GM who saw your post should contact you first before making the waiver claim on Garza to work out a tentative deal with you once the claim is successful - and then if you bail out on him after he does it - then :-t If they go ahead without talking to you first and then find that your "interest" is only mild, they've assumed the risk I think.
Help me out here? : http://www.fantasybaseballcafe.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=2321827#2321827

Artwork by madaslives911
Starkmadfan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby jake_harv88 » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:39 am

no way not unethical. Nice move ;-D . I see no difference between what you did and say trying to talk up a crappy player before draft day...
jake_harv88
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Cafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 24)

Postby j_d_mcnugent » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:00 am

Starkmadfan wrote:I suppose it would only be unethical if you had no intention at all of trading for Garza and some GM gave up their WW position solely on the expectation of being able to trade him to you. However, you didn't make this deal at all with any one GM specifically - and you said you would be "interested" - not that you were offering x player for him.

Can't really say thumbs down - if anything, a GM who saw your post should contact you first before making the waiver claim on Garza to work out a tentative deal with you once the claim is successful - and then if you bail out on him after he does it - then :-t If they go ahead without talking to you first and then find that your "interest" is only mild, they've assumed the risk I think.

that how i feel about it.
j_d_mcnugent
General Manager
General Manager

CafeholicCafe Ranker

Postby rentz » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:33 am

nothing wrong with it at all. and as said above, interested owners should be contacting you before they make the waiver claim.
rentz
General Manager
General Manager

Re: Dirty Play or Good Strategy

Postby vykeengfan » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:45 am

The_Idiot wrote:I might have been unethical. What do you think.

12 team league, I have 11th waiver spot. Pretty competive league. I post a message to all owners telling them that if they were lucky enough to claim Matt Garza that I would be interested in trading for him.

By doing this I essentially blocked some of the other oweners chasing me (I am in 1st place) from getting Garza. The owners towards the bottom of the standings have higher waiver priority.

I did the same thing w/ Hamels. I talked to the people who had a higher waiver priority than I did, reached an agreement on a trade, and when one of them got Hamels, we went through w/ the trade.
vykeengfan
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby Art Vandelay » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:09 pm

I worked a deal like this with another manager in my league last year. He had the last waiver priority, I was third or fourth, and he really wanted Willy Mo Pena. He must have found out that someone else had a claim on him, so he told me if I claimed him he'd trade for him. We ended working out a deal that sent me Webb for Willy Mo. Needless to say, that worked out pretty good for me.
Art Vandelay
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicFantasy ExpertPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby The_Idiot » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:13 pm

Thanks everybody. Two other owners are still whining claiming I am ruining the league since I have a 20 point lead (5x5 Roto) and Garza's claim will not impact me. I tend to disagree that my lead is that safe.

I guess maybe the only thing I should have done different is gone directly to the #1 or #2 waiver guys and told them individually instead of posting to the whole league.
Go OoooooOOOOoooooo'ssssss
Here we Go Steelers!!!
The_Idiot
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

(Past Year: 13)

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers