HUGE Terrorist Plot Foiled!!! - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to General Talk

HUGE Terrorist Plot Foiled!!!

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby The Artful Dodger » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:41 pm

acsguitar wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:
Tavish wrote:
Security alert follows arrests
British and U.S. security agencies quickly moved to impose strict limits on carry-on items in the wake of Thursday's arrests, causing extended delays at airport security checkpoints. (Full story)

The British Airports Authority said no hand luggage would be allowed onto planes leaving British airports until further notice.

No mention of snakes being restricted. I don't think I'll feel safe enough to fly until I hear a definite "no snakes on a plane" rule from the airline security groups.

Same here.

A little off topic, but for some reason, I remembered this story I had at Heathrow about the inspections process there. I don't know if they do this in airports here, but at Heathrow they take all the Arab or Indian folks to the side and inspect them, while the other folks including myself weren't even screened. If I remembered right, the day before I was to take off from Heathrow, there was a terrorist arrest at Stansted and so, I have to admit I was a little nervous about my flight the next day. But yes, the British intelligence is top-notch.

It does piss me off that we don't screen passangers based on race. Maybee that sounds bad but it seems that most Terrorists aren't white dudes, black dudes, asians, or native american. Sorry we are free here but we do need to be careful.

Also this kinda unnerves me.

The metal detector and X-ray machines at airport security checkpoints cannot detect explosives. At many, but not all airport checkpoints, the TSA has deployed walkthrough “sniffer” or “puffer” machines that can detect explosives residue.

Yeah, I'm with you on that. I think here in America if we did passenger screening based on race, there will be folks who are just touchy-feely and cry about it being a practice of discrimination. But my perception as to why it works in the UK is because racism is already a struggle at a not-so-subtle level and why magnify it if there is "racial profiling", for the sake of protecting the general public.

It's kinda like the Old Cafe - http://fbc2.freeforums.net
The Artful Dodger
Chief Wikitect
Chief Wikitect

CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyePick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 670)
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby pokerplaya » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:45 pm

Thank god this was stopped.

But I'm not exactly thrilled that I'll be flying in a few days... :-/
pokerplaya
Kitchen Staff
Kitchen Staff

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 9)

Postby teddy ballgame » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:46 pm

acsguitar wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:
Tavish wrote:
Security alert follows arrests
British and U.S. security agencies quickly moved to impose strict limits on carry-on items in the wake of Thursday's arrests, causing extended delays at airport security checkpoints. (Full story)

The British Airports Authority said no hand luggage would be allowed onto planes leaving British airports until further notice.

No mention of snakes being restricted. I don't think I'll feel safe enough to fly until I hear a definite "no snakes on a plane" rule from the airline security groups.

Same here.

A little off topic, but for some reason, I remembered this story I had at Heathrow about the inspections process there. I don't know if they do this in airports here, but at Heathrow they take all the Arab or Indian folks to the side and inspect them, while the other folks including myself weren't even screened. If I remembered right, the day before I was to take off from Heathrow, there was a terrorist arrest at Stansted and so, I have to admit I was a little nervous about my flight the next day. But yes, the British intelligence is top-notch.

It does piss me off that we don't screen passangers based on race. Maybee that sounds bad but it seems that most Terrorists aren't white dudes, black dudes, asians, or native american. Sorry we are free here but we do need to be careful.

Also this kinda unnerves me.

The metal detector and X-ray machines at airport security checkpoints cannot detect explosives. At many, but not all airport checkpoints, the TSA has deployed walkthrough “sniffer” or “puffer” machines that can detect explosives residue.

Yeah, I agree. Last summer we were flying back from LAX, and everyone over 16 needs photo ID. My sister had a passport. It was expired. They had to search her, and bring her to a room to be questioned. The thing is, she has down syndrome. Does anyone really think a girl with down syndrome is capable of blowing up a plane, just because her photo ID is an expired passport?
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby mikhayl » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:47 pm

The Artful Dodger wrote:Yeah, I'm with you on that. I think here in America if we did passenger screening based on race, there will be folks who are just touchy-feely and cry about it being a practice of discrimination. But my perception as to why it works in the UK is because racism is already a struggle at a not-so-subtle level and why magnify it if there is "racial profiling", for the sake of protecting the general public.

The problem with racial profiling is that you start presuming guilt and the profiling has a tendency to spread to other spaces beyond airport screening.

See the cautionary tale of Jean Charles de Menezes. British police murdered him in cold blood because they were antsy the day after the subway bombings. He did nothing wrong, but he happened to be dark skinned and he very vaguely matched a description of someone the police were looking for.

He did nothing wrong, acted calmly as he was being tailed with police, complied with police once they confronted him (to the extent he could considering he spoke no English, but he got shot in the head 11 times because the British police were out profiling.
Let's go O's. Let's go Mets.
mikhayl
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby acsguitar » Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:56 pm

mikhayl wrote:
The Artful Dodger wrote:Yeah, I'm with you on that. I think here in America if we did passenger screening based on race, there will be folks who are just touchy-feely and cry about it being a practice of discrimination. But my perception as to why it works in the UK is because racism is already a struggle at a not-so-subtle level and why magnify it if there is "racial profiling", for the sake of protecting the general public.

The problem with racial profiling is that you start presuming guilt and the profiling has a tendency to spread to other spaces beyond airport screening.

See the cautionary tale of Jean Charles de Menezes. British police murdered him in cold blood because they were antsy the day after the subway bombings. He did nothing wrong, but he happened to be dark skinned and he very vaguely matched a description of someone the police were looking for.

He did nothing wrong, acted calmly as he was being tailed with police, complied with police once they confronted him (to the extent he could considering he spoke no English, but he got shot in the head 11 times because the British police were out profiling.

wow that case is messed up and basically seems like a bunch of idiots were running that "arrest".

Basically I support profiling but in a way that doesn't involve reckless endangerment.
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Big Pimpin » Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:11 pm

Glad to see that the Brits had their *stuff* together to bring this down. ;-D

And acs, the simple fact is that the terrorist organizations that want to see our downfall are Islamic radicals, so Bush wasn't saying anything wrong or bad. Most Islamics are fine, upstanding people, but the radicals want to see us burn...
Big Pimpin
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

EditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterMatchup Meltdown ChampionPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 4)

Postby acsguitar » Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:25 pm

Big Pimpin wrote:Glad to see that the Brits had their *stuff* together to bring this down. ;-D

And acs, the simple fact is that the terrorist organizations that want to see our downfall are Islamic radicals, so Bush wasn't saying anything wrong or bad. Most Islamics are fine, upstanding people, but the radicals want to see us burn...

I know its true but really do we need to fuel the fire? Every time a black person commits a crime we don't say we need to stop Black Murderes we just say murderes.

I know its true but its fueling fires that are already out of control. The guy is the president he doens't need to instigate
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby Shadow of the Sun* » Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:00 pm

acsguitar wrote:BTW Bush you are a freaking moron as usual

The terror plot arrests in London are a “stark reminder that this nation is at war with Islamic fascists,” President Bush says.

Nice way to lump in a religion with the threat.

Can't he just say we are at way with terrorist factions.

This is gonna piss people off.

acsguitar wrote:It does piss me off that we don't screen passangers based on race. Maybee that sounds bad but it seems that most Terrorists aren't white dudes, black dudes, asians, or native american. Sorry we are free here but we do need to be careful.

So in one post you criticize Bush for saying that the majority of people that are involved in terrorist actions against the United States are "Islamic fascists", but in another post you support the idea of screening passengers based on race? :-?

So you acknowledge the fact that most terrorists are of Islamic decent, but its just that neither Bush nor anyone in power can mention this fact.

And don't argue that race and religion are different things, because in the Middle East they practically overlap.
Shadow of the Sun*
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby giants! » Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:14 pm

Shadow of the Sun* wrote:

The terror plot arrests in London are a “stark reminder that this nation is at war with Islamic fascists,” President Bush says.

acsguitar wrote:It does piss me off that we don't screen passangers based on race. Maybee that sounds bad but it seems that most Terrorists aren't white dudes, black dudes, asians, or native american. Sorry we are free here but we do need to be careful.

So in one post you criticize Bush for saying that the majority of people that are involved in terrorist actions against the United States are "Islamic fascists", but in another post you support the idea of screening passengers based on race? :-?

So you acknowledge the fact that most terrorists are of Islamic decent, but its just that neither Bush nor anyone in power can mention this fact.

And don't argue that race and religion are different things, because in the Middle East they practically overlap.

I think he is saying that he agrees with the line of thinking, but it's stupid for a public figure to make such a comment on the record.
Last edited by giants! on Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
giants!
General Manager
General Manager

Postby acsguitar » Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:08 pm

Shadow of the Sun* wrote:

All i'm saying is lets not go throwing fuel on the fire. Don't twist my words around. I just don't think there is any benefit whatsoever calling out Islam rather then just calling out terrorists in general. Hey he can call them Dirty Devil Islams if he wants to but what is that but name calling that may piss another Islamic person off enough to become a suicide bomber.

As for screening passangers I'm not sure what that has to do with Bush pointing out that they are Islamic? Oh yea nothing. Screening passangers on Physical attributes that match thoughs shared by known terrorists is not the same then putting out a press release saying we are battling one of the worlds largest religions.

How bout just saying Lets find the Terrorists whoever they are and kill them. BTW they haven't determined this is Al Qaeda yet have they. So It may be premature to start daming their religion, even though it most likley is. What if it turned out to be a group of radical Northern Irish and bush blames the Islams. Then what happens? Oh yea they Islams get pissed as hell that we are blamming them again.

Its just not a good idea. In fact its a very bad Idea to start saying we are at war with Islam.

Oh by the way how are these Islam's Facists? Please explain but that seems totally totally the wrong word to use to describe Islamic Terrorists.

Can I get a good definition of Facism. I think Facism encompanies many differet ideologies beyond just blowing up other companies due to religious regions. In fact I'm not sure that religious war is a tennant of facism at all I'd think it would be actually an opposite of facism.

Anyways my point being ok everyone knows the terrorists are most likely islamic however do we really need to point this out. Who is Bush telling? He's preaching to the freaking Choir. The only thing he can do with this statement is give a terrorist a nice quote to put on his wall much like football coaches do to fire up their team before a game.

Its just another example of either his poor decision making or the fact that his writers need to think before they start pissing off millions of people.

Oh and whats with quoting something and not adding to it?? Does that mean you agree or disagree?
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

PreviousNext

Return to General Talk