Man Ram for MVP? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Man Ram for MVP?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby HOOTIE » Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:15 am

Havok1517 wrote:Whatever, its Jeter vs. Ortiz. Yankee haters are putting down Jeter and Sox haters are putting down Ortiz.


I don't see this at all? I'm not putting down either. Both are in MVP hunt. But neither is running away with it.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Posts: 15108
(Past Year: 305)
Joined: 12 Jan 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby HOOTIE » Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:33 am

Mashug wrote:Ortiz may be a DH but Manny is a liability in the field. I agree the MVP should be at least a decent fielder, but I think you make an exception with Ortiz. He the best clutch hitter I've ever seen. (Michael Young's not far behind) I'd love to see Jeter win it, but as of now, Ortiz is the MVP


Are we back to this clutch stuff again? Btw, if Ortiz played defense everyday, it's possible he wouldn't be as fresh.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Posts: 15108
(Past Year: 305)
Joined: 12 Jan 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby The Miner Part 2 » Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:36 am

HOOTIE wrote:
Mashug wrote:Ortiz may be a DH but Manny is a liability in the field. I agree the MVP should be at least a decent fielder, but I think you make an exception with Ortiz. He the best clutch hitter I've ever seen. (Michael Young's not far behind) I'd love to see Jeter win it, but as of now, Ortiz is the MVP


Are we back to this clutch stuff again? Btw, if Ortiz played defense everyday, it's possible he wouldn't be as fresh.


golf.
football.
basketball.
hockey.

if you dont believe there is a clutch player in every sport youre just being ignorant. welcome to exceptions to rules.
Image
The Miner Part 2
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar
Mock(ing) Drafter
Posts: 3757
Joined: 16 Sep 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Throwing rocks at The Cubby Bear.

Postby HOOTIE » Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:47 am

The Miner Part 2 wrote:golf.
football.
basketball.
hockey.

if you dont believe there is a clutch player in every sport youre just being ignorant. welcome to exceptions to rules.


Well i could care less about other sports. We are talking bb, and clutch over extended periods in it. Just not alot of hard evidence, or any that has significant impact, that has really been found.
Smells Like Teen Spirit
HOOTIE
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicResponse TeamFantasy ExpertCafe Ranker
Posts: 15108
(Past Year: 305)
Joined: 12 Jan 2003
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Pearl Jam country, right next door to Nirvana, Soundgarden, and Alice in Chains.

Postby Mashug » Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:33 am

Most Valuable Player is for the single player who helps his team the most. Best all around player doesn't win it. The Bosox would be way behind if not for Ortiz's game winners. Up till this point in the season he's the "most valuable" to his team in the AL because he's clutch. This can easily change with 50+ games left as either Jeter or Ortiz slumps. There's not much room for error for Ortiz because he's a DH. Despite what I've seen on this string and others, Jeter's a very solid fielder.
Mashug
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

User avatar

Posts: 597
Joined: 25 Apr 2006
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby thedude » Sat Aug 12, 2006 5:37 pm

27 game hitting streak now for Manny as well as a game winning hit (no rbi, but it was his hit the run scored on).



Jut for fun Ortiz (in 14 PAs that could end a game) is 8 for 9.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 8413
(Past Year: 90)
Joined: 18 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Good Life

Postby Strasil42 » Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:45 pm

Havok1517 wrote:
BronXBombers51 wrote:
Matthias wrote:
Strasil42 wrote:
Chicago RedSox wrote:

1. Actual value of a player to his team, that is, strength of offense and defense.
2. Number of games played.


Sure. And if someone has a negative value to their team in defense?


Agreed. I'd have no problem with Ortiz winning the award...if his numbers are the best. Right now though, I think there are a few better options. Ortiz being a DH has nothing to do with my opinion. Hafner would be my vote right now, and he's strictly a DH as well.


I doubt a player (Hafner) will win the MVP with his team about 26 games back.


Please see 2003.

AL West Standings

Oakland Atheletics
Tx Rangers - 25 Games back

Alex Rodriguez, the 2003 MVP winner, played for the Texas Rangers that year.

They finished 25 games back.
Strasil42
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 4347
Joined: 14 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Omaha

Postby Strasil42 » Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:47 pm

Mashug wrote:Most Valuable Player is for the single player who helps his team the most. Best all around player doesn't win it. The Bosox would be way behind if not for Ortiz's game winners. Up till this point in the season he's the "most valuable" to his team in the AL because he's clutch. This can easily change with 50+ games left as either Jeter or Ortiz slumps. There's not much room for error for Ortiz because he's a DH. Despite what I've seen on this string and others, Jeter's a very solid fielder.


Any proof that Ortiz has been the most clutch player so far this year?

I would argue that the Red Sox would be even further behind if they lost Manny instead.(And I know I wouldn't be alone)
Strasil42
General Manager
General Manager

User avatar

Posts: 4347
Joined: 14 Apr 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: Omaha

Postby thedude » Sat Aug 12, 2006 6:56 pm

Strasil42 wrote:
Mashug wrote:Most Valuable Player is for the single player who helps his team the most. Best all around player doesn't win it. The Bosox would be way behind if not for Ortiz's game winners. Up till this point in the season he's the "most valuable" to his team in the AL because he's clutch. This can easily change with 50+ games left as either Jeter or Ortiz slumps. There's not much room for error for Ortiz because he's a DH. Despite what I've seen on this string and others, Jeter's a very solid fielder.


Any proof that Ortiz has been the most clutch player so far this year?

I would argue that the Red Sox would be even further behind if they lost Manny instead.(And I know I wouldn't be alone)


I agree that Manny is more important.

But i again will repeat the stat that was FOX earlier. In ABs that could end the game, Ortiz is 8 for 9 (with five walkoff hits). He has also walked 5 times in that situation.
thedude
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

User avatar
CafeholicPick 3 Weekly Winner
Posts: 8413
(Past Year: 90)
Joined: 18 Dec 2004
Home Cafe: Baseball
Location: The Good Life

Previous

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: skjelstrom and 9 guests

Forums Articles & Tips Sleepers Rankings Leagues


Today's Games
Saturday, Apr. 19
(All times are EST, weather icons show forecast for game time)

Chi Cubs at Chi Cubs
(1:05 pm)
Minnesota at Kansas City
(1:05 pm)
Cincinnati at Cincinnati
(1:08 pm)
Houston at Oakland
(1:35 pm)
Milwaukee at Pittsburgh
(2:10 pm)
NY Yankees at Tampa Bay
(2:20 pm)
indoors
Seattle at Miami
(4:05 pm)
indoors
NY Mets at NY Mets
(7:05 pm)
Atlanta at Atlanta
(7:10 pm)
Philadelphia at Colorado
(7:10 pm)
Chi White Sox at Texas
(7:10 pm)
LA Dodgers at LA Dodgers
(8:05 pm)
Arizona at Arizona
(8:10 pm)
San Diego at San Diego
(8:10 pm)
San Francisco at San Francisco
(8:40 pm)

  • Fantasy Baseball
  • Article Submissions
  • Privacy Statement
  • Site Survey 
  • Contact