Man Ram for MVP? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Man Ram for MVP?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Re: Man Ram for MVP?

Postby WhiteHot » Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:24 am

kemper5 wrote:On pace for a .320, 40+ HR, 120+ RBI season.. Nice ;-D

It's too bad Papi already passed 40HRs and will pass 120RBI in short time.

No way that Manny gets it over Ortiz. I know it shouldn't count, but Ortiz was a really close 2nd place last year. He'll get it this year if he keeps it up or even slows slightly.
WhiteHot
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Havok1517 » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:23 am

davidmarver wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:Sorry, Manny has actually been pretty decent in the field this year overall.

Actually, according the metrics, Manny has been worse in the field thus far this season than in any of his other major league seasons.

Last I checked, he's only made 1 error so far this year. I know range and other things can come into question but .994 fielding % ain't bad.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 122)

Postby Chicago RedSox » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:41 am

teddy ballgame wrote:
The Jury wrote:
dipset wrote:How bout the redsox stick papi behind manny in the order than we will see who puts up MVP numbers. :-?

Agreed here - whoever bats third puts up the MVP numbers for the Sox.

They discussed this on the radio the other day. That wasn't the case. Manny was hitting .270 in the 3 hole in front of Ortiz. The said some other stats that showed both of them did worse than they have in the current order. Also, Manny was given a chance to hit 3rd in front of Ortiz and he was not hitting very well at all, so Francona switched them.

And it seems as though every time they walk Ortiz to get to Manny, Manny doesn't come through.

I remember Francona switching them around a couple times last year to see what was going to work best. My memory stinks, but I think they both put up better numbers with the current configuration. To the original post, I think Manny's got a good of a chance as anybody. I'd be happy to see either him or Papi win it. Can there be co-MVP's???
Chicago RedSox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby ukrneal » Thu Aug 10, 2006 10:55 am

Chicago RedSox wrote:
teddy ballgame wrote:
The Jury wrote:
dipset wrote:How bout the redsox stick papi behind manny in the order than we will see who puts up MVP numbers. :-?

Agreed here - whoever bats third puts up the MVP numbers for the Sox.

They discussed this on the radio the other day. That wasn't the case. Manny was hitting .270 in the 3 hole in front of Ortiz. The said some other stats that showed both of them did worse than they have in the current order. Also, Manny was given a chance to hit 3rd in front of Ortiz and he was not hitting very well at all, so Francona switched them.

And it seems as though every time they walk Ortiz to get to Manny, Manny doesn't come through.

I remember Francona switching them around a couple times last year to see what was going to work best. My memory stinks, but I think they both put up better numbers with the current configuration. To the original post, I think Manny's got a good of a chance as anybody. I'd be happy to see either him or Papi win it. Can there be co-MVP's???

Sure. 1979. Hernandez and Stargell.
ukrneal
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Chicago RedSox » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:13 am

Havok1517 wrote:
davidmarver wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:Sorry, Manny has actually been pretty decent in the field this year overall.

Actually, according the metrics, Manny has been worse in the field thus far this season than in any of his other major league seasons.

Last I checked, he's only made 1 error so far this year. I know range and other things can come into question but .994 fielding % ain't bad.

AND Manny led the league in OF assists last year. And he's in the top 10 for left fielders this year.
Chicago RedSox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Havok1517 » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:17 am

Chicago RedSox wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:
davidmarver wrote:

AND Manny led the league in OF assists last year. And he's in the top 10 for left fielders this year.

Well, he's only got 6 so far this year and I think a lof of those assists last year were baserunners testing him. I'm not saying he's at all great with the glove, because obviously he's not. But just because he looks bad doing it doesn't mean he is bad, if that makes sense. Look at the results not the process in Manny's case.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 122)

Postby Chicago RedSox » Thu Aug 10, 2006 11:36 am

Havok1517 wrote:Well, he's only got 6 so far this year and I think a lof of those assists last year were baserunners testing him.

They tested him, and they failed that test. I agree with you 100%. Manny's not the best, but he's definately not a liability. Average arm, above average accuracy, gets the ball out of his glove quick, plays the wall like a champ, hits his cutoff man....

Didn't Ortiz make a diving catch at first during interleague?
Chicago RedSox
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Gwyddbwyll » Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:33 pm

It's pretty good having them both on one of my fantasy teams :) Plus I have Suzuki, Thome and A-Ram too, with Sheff on the DL and Peralta stinking it up (grr)

In fantasy terms, Manny's the bigger contributer imo. His .322 is much more helpful than Ortiz's .280.
Gwyddbwyll
College Coach
College Coach

Postby Tavish » Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:43 pm

Chicago RedSox wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:
davidmarver wrote:

If a left fielder in Fenway can't make it into the top 10 in OF assists then they are an extreme liability. You will get more legit chances for assists there than in any other ballpark.

Bury me a Royal.
Tavish
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

CafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterWeb Supporter
(Past Year: 25)

Postby acsguitar » Thu Aug 10, 2006 4:06 pm

IllinoisBandit wrote:I think Ortiz and Manny will cancel each other out. Knowing the writers in this country, Jeter will probably win an undeserved MVP.

Manny IS a slightly better hitter than Ortiz, but not nearly as likeable.

Yea you are right....

Batting .350 with 9 + Hr's 68 Rbi's 78 runs and 25 stolent bases is worthless plus I hear he's the worst shortstop ever to play baseball ever.

BTW the media gives the man love to Ortiz way more so then Jeter
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers