What is a "safe" lead in saves? Need help very badly - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2015 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

What is a "safe" lead in saves? Need help very badly

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

What is a "safe" lead in saves? Need help very badly

Postby great gretzky » Fri Sep 05, 2003 10:44 am

Innings are beginning to come at a premium for me. I have 180 left. And I need to make up ground in era and k's and wins (only .05 behind in era, making up two wins will get me two roto points, and making up 35 k's will get another two) I am fourteen saves behind the next guy and six ahead of the two guys trailing me. My closers are riske, kim, gurdardo, beck/hoffman. I would like to dump riske and beck and hoffman and use my innings for my starters:
schilling, nomo, willis, hampton, and spot for spot starts. Oswalt on the DL.

I think it is wiser to allocate my innings with the starters. But the guy behind me in saves has a good waiver position. He has percival gordon and the injured smoltz. can I safely drop riske and hoffman and beck, knowing that he will probably only get one of them? can he make up ground? I think kim and guradardo can protect that lead, but want to make sure. and I don't think I can make up ground in saves and get fourteen in the remaining time.

help is very very appreciated.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic
Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby Madison » Fri Sep 05, 2003 10:52 am

With only a 6 save lead on 2 teams, I'd keep a minimum of 3 closers. I was struggling with saves on one of my teams early in the year so I picked up a few of the new closers. That gave me 5 closers on that team and I got 13 saves in 5 days. Not too bad huh? 6 saves is not that big of a lead, especially if the guys trailing you grab the closers that you drop.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby great gretzky » Fri Sep 05, 2003 11:02 am

well the one guy only has biddle and dejean. the other has percival, gordon and smoltz. I would like to either drop riske, beck and hoffman. or say screw it and try and make up the ground. the guy ahead of me has mesa, speier and lance carter. I feel kinda locked into place here, I need the innings, but I can't fuel the guy behind me. Or should I keep what I have for like a week and hope to build mroe of a lead then drop some of them?
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Postby Madison » Fri Sep 05, 2003 11:17 am

Speier has lost his job. Mesa isn't doing much. Carter seems to be coming around. I don't think it would be impossible for you to catch him at all. He's basically got 1 1/2 closers. I'd sit tight and you just might catch him after all.
Yes doctor, I am sick.
Sick of those who are spineless.
Sick of those who feel self-entitled.
Sick of those who are hypocrites.
Yes doctor, an army is forming.
Yes doctor, there will be a war.
Yes doctor, there will be blood.....
Madison
Mod in Retirement
Mod in Retirement

ExecutiveEditorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeCafe SpotterInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 ChampionMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner
(Past Year: 1)

Postby Super GM » Fri Sep 05, 2003 11:19 am

Listen to those wise words. I couldn't have said it any better! :-D ;-D
Super GM
General Manager
General Manager

Postby great gretzky » Fri Sep 05, 2003 11:55 am

thanks. funny how things can change like that. I felt hopelessly behind. I guess I will just play them all and see what happeens.
great gretzky
General Manager
General Manager

Cafeholic

Return to Baseball Leftovers