Is Joe Nathan the best closer in baseball? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is Joe Nathan the best closer in baseball?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Postby johnsamo » Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:03 pm

Mariano is probably the guy I'd want out there in the final inning of the World Series because of his stuff and his experience, but there are about 5 guys who are all about equally good and wouldn't raise my stress level at all if they were out there instead of Mariano:. Papelbon, Ryan, Nathan, K-Rod immediately come to mind. Mariano won't be around much longer and Papelbon might start someday... K-Rod's going to blow his arm out someday throwing that slider with so much torque like he does. He's basically a Kerry Wood in waiting, BUT.... because he's a closer and throws fewer innings total and only an inning an appearance, it could be years before it happens. If he developed a change-up he could throw less sliders and probably delay the blow up, but it'll happen at some point.

SO if I had to pick somebody long term, I'd go with Ryan or Nathan, flip a coin really on those two.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby J.C.Fighter » Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:07 pm

Mary- Ya- No >> Nathan
J.C.Fighter
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby johnsamo » Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:15 pm

K-Rod's also inconsistant. Unlike some closers who fold when things get really tense or gets fatigued if used too much, K-Rod is the opposite. He can be sometimes be sloppy if he's got too big a lead or if he's had a long hiatus... It's almost like he wants to put a few runners on base just to get psyched up. He usually still gets the save because he gets better when he gets in trouble, but if he comes in with a three run lead, he'll often give up up 1 or 2 runs then shut them down, but when he comes in with a 1 run lead, he's a virtual lock to save it.
johnsamo
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby DK » Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:41 pm

K-Rod's got HUGE arm troubles down the road with the amount of strain he puts on that thing. He's good now, but with a little overuse, an extra pitch here or there, and the elbow will pop. It's sad, and I never wish injury on anyone, but that's the way it'll be if he continues to pitch the way he does now.
DK
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle Eye

Postby acsguitar » Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:16 pm

Papelbon has blown 5 of his last 15 so he's out of it IMO plus he's only closed for 2/3's of a season.

I still think its Rivera. But Nathan is up there definitly
I'm too lazy to make a sig at the moment
acsguitar
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

Graphics Expert

Postby ukrneal » Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:52 pm

Strange. The numbers posted clearly show Nathan a cut above nearly everyone else. I'm surprised how little attention he gets. He's been money.
ukrneal
General Manager
General Manager

Postby Mashug » Fri Aug 11, 2006 11:46 am

It depends on what you mean by "the best closer" For fantasy baseball I'd have to say Nathan. He's been ridiculous but never gets the rocognition he deserves. I traded Ziot and Coffey for him earlier and got critisized for it. A typical line for him this year is 1.0 innings, 2Ks, 1 hit and a save.

In reality I'd go with Rivera. He's the best post season closer in history and along with Hoffman has been dominant longer than anyone. He's still the guy I'd want if I needed to hold a lead for any one game.

K-Rod, Wagner, Ryan, Hoffman are the 2nd tier. Putz, Papelbon, and Jenks are next becasue they don't have enough of a history to judge them by yet. Same goes for Saito and Otsuka. Then I'd group Chad Cordero, Izzy, Fuentes and Gordon together

Francisco Cordero and Eddie G are on the bubble
Last edited by Mashug on Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mashug
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Fantasy Guru » Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:16 pm

K-rod seems to make more mistakes than Nathan. Just not as consistant.

I'll put it this way- If I were starting a 5 year keeper, I'd rate Nathan the highest.
He could be arguably more effective than K-rod for the next five years, we'll just have to wait and see. But by that time rolls around, he'll be 37, and K-rod won't even be 30.
ImageYeah.. this "fantasy guru" thing is just a user name, folks.
Fantasy Guru
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby Havok1517 » Fri Aug 11, 2006 12:27 pm

Mashug wrote:It depends on what you mean by "the best closer" For fantasy baseball I'd have to say Nathan. He's been ridiculous but never gets the rocognition he deserves. I traded Ziot and Coffey for him earlier and got critisized for it. A typical line for him this year is 1.0 innings, 2Ks, 1 hit and a save.

In reality I'd go with Rivera. He's the best post season closer in history and along with Hoffman has been dominant longer than anyone. He's still the guy I'd want if I needed to hold a lead for any one game.

K-Rod, Wagner, Ryan, Hoffman are the 2nd tier. Putz, Papelbon, and Jenks are next becasue they don't have enough of a history to judge them by yet. Same goes for Saito and Otsuka. Then I'd group Chad Cordero, Izzy, Fuentes and Gordon together

Francisco Cordero and Eddie G are waiting are on the bubble

Hmm...no Lidge. I know he's had his struggles this year but he's still the same pitcher has was the last 2 years. BS and ERA are higher than they should be but he has possibly the best stuff among closers, period. But to not even rank him amoungst those guys is crazy.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 118)

Postby Strasil42 » Fri Aug 11, 2006 1:12 pm

bleach168 wrote:
Havok1517 wrote:
teddy ballgame wrote:Another name that I think should be thrown in the mix is Putz. He's only 29, and even though this is his first year of closing, 72 K's in 55 IP is pretty damn good, along with only 9 walks.

For some reason I think Putz and Otsuka are going to get hit really hard next year. Neither 1 has dominating stuff but get the job done. I think guys will start to figure them out.

Agree with Otsuka, disagree with Putz. I think Putz does have dominating stuff.

Back on topic, I would take Papelbon. I love that he isn't strictly a 3-out closer. He is like his own setup man.

But Rivera isnt????

Papelbon has pitched 2.0+ innings 5 times this year.

Rivera has pitched 2.0+ innings 6 times this year, including a 3 inning outing.
Strasil42
General Manager
General Manager

PreviousNext

Return to Baseball Leftovers