Is Joe Nathan the best closer in baseball? - Fantasy Baseball Cafe 2014 Fantasy Baseball Cafe
100% Deposit Bonus for Cafe Members!

Return to Baseball Leftovers

Is Joe Nathan the best closer in baseball?

Moderator: Baseball Moderators

Is Joe Nathan the best closer in baseball?

Postby BTOWNHESS » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:02 pm

Me and my buddies always play this game where we say " If you were starting a team, who would be your first choice at this position" We base it on performance, age, ceiling, etc.

We got into an argument last night about closers...I said if I were starting a team I'd take Nathan, my buddy Jeff said he would take Papelbon and my other buddy said he would take Rivera.

Now I know if you had one game only and had all the marbles on the line you'd want Rivera, but isn't that more of his experience talking. You can't start a team with a 38 year old closer.

Papelbon I love too, but he has blown a few saves lately and he's very young.

Nathan is having what I believe is his best season this year and we're talking about a guy who has put up back to back 40+ save seasons with high K's great ERA and WHIP.

This season Nathan is 24 for 25 in save opps. and the one he blew he pitched 2 innings, struck out 4 and got the win.

He has 68 K's to 9 walks in only 48 innings. thats about 1.5 K's an inning. He has a 1.50 ERA.
His record is 6-0

I think if his team was winning more close games he'd be up in Gagne of 3 years ago status...Because he only has 24 saves I think he's kinda flying under the radar this year, but the guy has been on point.

Your thoughts?
BTOWNHESS
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Home Cafe: Baseball

Postby teddy ballgame » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:04 pm

I think he very well could be. He has had an amazing year, being overshadowed by Papelbon, kind of like Ryan was a "hidden gem" for a while. I would take Nathan over Papelbon, because I think Papelbon has a brighter future as a starter. JMO.
teddy ballgame
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe WriterCafe RankerGraphics ExpertMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeWeb SupporterPick 3 Weekly WinnerLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Postby giants! » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:08 pm

For one year: Rivera
For the future: either K Rod, Nathan, or Papelbon
giants!
General Manager
General Manager

Postby tol1l1yboy » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:08 pm

BJ Ryan is the best closer in my mind...and it isnt even close. I would take him over anyone especially if I was just starting a team. The guy can seriously dominate.
tol1l1yboy
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

Postby Havok1517 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:11 pm

I'd actually probably go Ryan or KRod to start my team. They're both younger than Nathan and K more. If Lidge can figure out whats been going on with him and fix it for good. I'd pick Lidge.
Havok1517
Hall of Fame Hero
Hall of Fame Hero

CafeholicCafe Writer
(Past Year: 122)

Postby PyRo8 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:16 pm

still gotta go with mariano
PyRo8
Softball Supervisor
Softball Supervisor

Home Cafe: Football

Postby BTOWNHESS » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:19 pm

tol1l1yboy wrote:BJ Ryan is the best closer in my mind...and it isnt even close. I would take him over anyone especially if I was just starting a team. The guy can seriously dominate.

Ryan has more blown saves (4) less K's in more innings pitched and he's only a year younger than Nathan.
BTOWNHESS
Minor League Mentor
Minor League Mentor

d

Postby joeg24 » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:26 pm

I think he ended up winning the one he blew too, not 100% sure though.

He sure is good, here's to hoping I didn't jinx him tonight.
joeg24
College Coach
College Coach

Postby d18Mike » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:44 pm

Tough to say. RP inning sample sizes are too small to really say who is truly the best any given year. When you are only throwing that many innings and in save situation it could be one guy (Nathan faces the Royals or others more often. Or with BJ Ryan, the Red Sox and Yanks. I'll take anyone who consistenly gives me a 10+ K/9, low fb, low bb rate, rate and low HR rate.

If I had to pick one to stick with for the next 3 years I'd go with Ryan.
d18Mike
Major League Manager
Major League Manager

Postby raiders_umpire » Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:45 pm

Havok1517 wrote:I'd actually probably go Ryan or KRod to start my team. They're both younger than Nathan and K more. If Lidge can figure out whats been going on with him and fix it for good. I'd pick Lidge.

Nathan 68 K's 48 IP
Ryan 63 K's 53 IP
Krod 59 K's 46 IP
raiders_umpire

ModeratorCafeholicFantasy ExpertCafe WriterCafe RankerMock(ing) DrafterEagle EyeInnovative MemberCafe MusketeerPick 3 Weekly WinnerMatchup Meltdown SurvivorLucky Ladders Weekly Winner

Next

Return to Baseball Leftovers